Author Topic: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station  (Read 39638 times)

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Re: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
Heh, I passed along your short stories to most of my friends in college. They loved em. We're all keenly interested in getting your book when it comes out.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
If I don't get a chance to pre-order it, I'll buy it. Is there a preferred site that you recommend? I know I'm definitely going for hardcover.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Powell's! They're a really cool independent bookstore in Portland, OR.

Preorders are really important for a book's success, sadly enough. And since books sell so many fewer copies than games, your preorders make a bigger difference!

Here's Book Riot on this HEARTBREAKING and AMAZING novel

The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson

This book was on my radar for sometime, but it wasn’t until I finally got my hands on a copy and dove headfirst into the rich, bittersweet world, that I realized what a gift it is. The novel starts on the island of Taranoke, where young Baru Cormorant stands on the beach with her mother and two fathers as ships with red sails begin to pull into the harbor. The Empire of Masks has arrived and with them, they bring new math, star charts, tools, food, weapons, and support for the people of Taranoke. They also bring plague, rigid education, new metrics for “hygienic living,” and cultural/hereditary taxonomy and control. Their velvet-gloved hand begins to slowly choke Taranoke, and it’s only when Baru is already enrolled in one of the schools, kept from home, and one of her fathers goes missing that she sees the Empire for what they are: conquerors.

But Baru knows that the best weapons are knowledge, information, and strategy. She vows to save her home, by rising high in the ranks of the Empire of Masks, enough take it down from the inside. And so, at eighteen, she is sent as Imperial Accountant to the unforgiving cold of Audrwynn, a country to the north under control of the Empire; it is fractured and proud, and in need of an imperial hand to stave off rebellion. But smart as she is, Baru is young, and finds that she may have wandered right into a pack of wolves. But if she is save her country, her family, she’ll need to outpace the wolves around her, and prove her worth to the Empire.

This book is a brutal treasure in every way. Baru is one of the most complicated, best-written characters I’ve read in some time, who must balance agenda against agenda against personal feelings against everything at stake; she wears dozens of masks, switching so effortlessly at times, my head was spinning trying to keep track of them all (but in a good way). She is a fully realized, queer woman of color with agency and power, and is an amazing breath of fresh air in a genre that is getting better with representation, but still has a long way to go. The world she lives in is beautiful and heart-breaking, a mixture of Guns, Germs, and Steel and epic fantasy; there are hints of the supernatural in this secondary world, but for the most part, Dickinson focuses on the political maneuvering, character development, economics, warfare, and emotional arcs. His sentence-level prose is delicious, tightly focused, and he never treats the reader as anything less than capable and intelligent. Every page draws you in closer, until the end, when he delivers one of the most shattering and fling-across-the-room-y twists in a book I’ve ever read. I could go on, but I’ll just say: please, please, please read this heartbreaking, amazing novel. — Martin Cahill

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Just preordered my copy in Kindle format. There are accessible versions of the Kindle app for Windows and iOS devices so I should be able to listen to it through text-to-speech.

Offline Luis Dias

Hey, if you actually give me the correct "sides" of the book, I'll correct my new book cluster parametric object in Archicad :D

Offline Aesaar

Battuta I'm overloading on hype.  You might say I'm being drowned by hype.  Maybe even tidally so.

(In that the hype recedes and then returns whenever the word Baru appears)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I was gonna have my brother get me a copy for my birthday, but then I remembered that it won't be released for a couple months.  Not sure if hype can be contained for that long.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Preorder! It'll help me make my week 1 sales look good. (**** preorders but it's all in the game)

to be fair i have absolute confidence that my preordered copy of baru cormorant will function properly when it arrives
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Your heroes are all morons. Luke? Totally naive. Ellen Ripley? You should be fighting the real enemy. Frodo? USE THE ****ING RING

Sounds like they need some advice from Baru Cormorant, via Tor.com!

How Baru Cormorant Would Overthrow Emperor Palpatine, Kill Voldemort, and Stop Sauron
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:38:19 am by The E »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have taken the liberty to un**** your link there.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Just checked my preorder release date and looks like it will be arriving just in time for my birthday.

Thanks for the present Batts :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

Humm, so according to you, Frodo actually followed Baru's advice to the letter!

Offline Axem

Dear Baru,

I am an Admiral who is constantly freaked out by these unknowable space demons who took away my home. I want to make sure my people are safe for the future, but all I have are some ancient tablets and a horde of racist sheep that are ready to sell out our only ally.

What should I do?

-AHB

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You name-dropped Sabriel and that makes me exceedingly happy.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

It's one of my favorite books (sequels inclusive, prequel not).

If y'all looking for good books, I recommend The Library on Mount Char and (for Starslayer and E in particular, but anyone who's interested in the collision of Lovecraftian occult and real-world espionage) the fantastic Declare by Tim Powers, which posits a secret Cold War race to survive and secure the entity on Mount Ararat.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

It's one of my favorite books (sequels inclusive, prequel not).
Very :yes: to both of these posts.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Frodo? USE THE ****ING RING

man i don't want to get all nerdy here but what good is turning locally invisible and completely blowing your cover with the enemy going to do
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Power according to your stature, it's not all Frodo

and risk compromising your core leadership?? blackbird village would be appalled