Author Topic: Mission Jumping  (Read 5560 times)

Apparently jumping is a son of a gun in FRED_2 land. Is there any way I can learn how to jump ingame without ending the mission?
I feel I also must mention that I do not have a keyboard with a numpad, so my ability to place things correctly was severely limited.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:11:54 pm by piRatemasterYT »

Attached is a little mission I created based off of the Rebel Cylons seen in the 2004 series. The goal is to jump to the Basestar, make sure it's not going to backstab you, and then bring back a Heavy Raider to the Battlestar. Obviously, I'm not there yet, but here's what I have so far. This was mostly me throwing things at a wall to see what works.. and by ripping it from the Asheron campaign. pls dont sue

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You might want to look at the mission from Diaspora where the Raptor jumps for inspiration on how to do things.

I'll give this mission a try as soon as I can find some spare time.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Unfortunately, I can't find the files housing the core Diaspora campaign missions.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Unfortunately, I can't find the files housing the core Diaspora campaign missions.

It's "R1_Core.vp" in whatever directory you installed the game, e.g. C:/Program Files/Diaspora
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Try going through Axem's in-mission jumping tutorial on the wiki.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Tutorial_-_In-Mission_Jumps

Might be a bit outdated by now though, but all techniques from that tutorial should still work fine.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Perhaps somebody should make a Diaspora-specific version of that tutorial (subspace tunnel probably unhelpful, for instance).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

After doing minor conversions of that mission attempting to micro-jump crashed my game. This is likely due to the same error I've been getting for a while, but I'm not sure.

The error is as follows:
Can't open model file <subspace_big.pof>
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 75 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
FS2_Open_Diaspora_R1.exe! <no symbol>
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2267726 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2241438 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2245691 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2187706 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2535048 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2535048 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlFreeHeap + 3941 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 1606156 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 2933990 bytes
ig75icd32.dll! DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries + 1718334 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>

oh hi log

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think the problem is that you are trying to do a Freespace style jump in Diaspora and the problem is that we don't support those cause they aren't something you see in BSG.

What you need to do is to follow the way we did it in the raptor mission. You'll need a tool to extract the mission from the VP file mentioned above. I've always just used VPView for the most part but others can recommend one which is easier to use. Once you have the mission file you can then open it in FRED and see how we did it there.

I'll probably have to write an in-mission jump tutorial at some point but right now I'm up to my eyeballs in work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You'll need a tool to extract the mission from the VP file mentioned above. I've always just used VPView for the most part but others can recommend one which is easier to use.
My personal preference is VPGUI, which has drag-and-drop functionality.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I'm looking at the original Diaspora campaign missions and only finding ways to frak them up.

Any progress on that jumping guide adaptation to Diaspora while I wait for a keyboard with a numpad?

In short, you don't actually "jump".  What you do is have the jump effects, all of which are laid out in Mission 3 of Diaspora and you Fade out the screen.  While it's faded out,  you re-arrange the battlespace out of sight of the player.

1. You limit DRADIS range to say 60KM, this prevent any previous debris from being targetable as you can't remove debris.
2. You vanish any ships that are remaining except for the player.
3. You remove the skybox, background, star ect and replace them with the new ones you want, presuming you're jumping to a new location.
4. You add in any ships you want at the new location that is greater than 60KM from the previous location.
5. You move the player ship to the new location with coordinate SEXP.
6. You reversed the jump effects and Fade back In.  - Jump Complete.

Of course you had to enable ALT-J and reset it, and the jumping ship has to have a jump drive.

Ah, that sounds right. I wasn't expecting to jump, but I didn't know until recently that fading out meant fading to white, which I discovered was possible. Most of what you said will take some scavenging but I can figure something out.

Axem's got an in-mission jump script that I could modify to play nicely with Diaspora if you'd like.

As for not having a numpad - I'm in something of the same boat, but there is a solution! On my numpad-less laptop, turning numlock on remaps some of the keys on the right-hand side to work like one, which may work for you. Alternatively, there are programs out there to remap keys, which you could use to emulate a numpad; this is what I did before figuring out numlock.

A script for in  mission jumps would be awesome.  I plan to use it a few times in a project I'm working on :)

Okay, here you go! Just do IMJump:Diaspora('Ship', 'Waypoint list') and the ship will jump to the first waypoint in that list, facing the second.

The script isn't mine, though, it's Axem's - I just added Diaspora compatibility :) You're also getting an experimental feature of mine, which allows multiple ships to jump at once (in the original script, it was only safe to have one ship in subspace at once because they could end up inside each other, and always would if given the same destination). If you want multiple ships to jump, the when-argument trick described in the comments is pretty neat.

I recommend not using this for anything larger than, say, a Chronos, or more than twoish wings at once. Lmk if you care about either of those, though I'll likely enable them for my own purposes anyway.

I'll give this a try thank you!