Author Topic: TBP at its best!  (Read 10348 times)

Offline Fenrir

• ?
What I don't get is why half of that Sathy's beams appear to be the green variety.

Offline Mewgen1

Originally posted by stithe2000
Nope... It will be revealled on the next release...

I guess the immediate question then is:  about how far are we from the next release?  Also, what kind of new stuff are we looking at for the next release?  I would suppose mostly effects oriented stuff.

Btw, great job figuring that out finally, it looks ... well, let the smilly speak :eek:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Fenrir
What I don't get is why half of that Sathy's beams appear to be the green variety.

Cause the effect started out as a mjolnir beam and as I tried more and more things I stopped bothering to change the colour on the beams :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

More on the V-DN! Shines, glows, turrets, and effect have been updated/ completed! Still have debris, and the rest of the LODs to finish on, but the Vorlon ships that have already been released will soon be updated with the fx, and new textures! More to come!

That ship is beautiful...

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
If I could only play now...
Excellent, brilliant you name it... :)
The game is inevitably becoming the ultimate space-sim experience... and it's true to the show at the same time...
Keep em' comin'... :jaw:
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That's brilliant, guys. Welcome to the highlights. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

great effects and the ships is awesome! very well done stithe!!

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
four short range beams facing inward with beam-fire sexp, correct?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Close, but a bit more is involved!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
are those glowpoint beams or is that some special bit of code just for you guys?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hmm, a thought of how to do it with SEXPs. Have the subobjects mapped with an invisible texture, then use texture replacement to have the charge-up effect. Then fire the beam cannon from the middle.

That would look like of studgy though.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i would just put in 4 glowpoint beams with normals converging on dummy turret subobject (submodel with now geometry). and sexp the fire turret and the glowpoint toggle simultaniously. figured thats what they did.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

GREAT!

It's awesome :)
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Vertices and/or splines, No texture, Add a little source code magic, Create a new beam style in the source so to say, one which has an additional pre-fire animation (before the glow cycles up i mean) in this case some glowing vertices/splines, Which we've all seen before (prior to a ships destruction-Lightning people) This is the avenue i would take.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
What we need are "beam stages" I think. Where each stage lasts a set amount of time and allows for multiple beams to be fired in different directions. Also a new beam type where the beam gradually gets longer and longer towards it's maximum length would be needed for the Victory destroyer main gun warm up. I've been suggesting this stuff to the SCP team for ages though and nobody has wanted to take it on. So I wouldn't hold my breath. Can't say I blame them as it means fairly large changes to the way beam weapons are defined in weapons.tbl.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
I bet this would be a good  way to recreate the Sathanas subspace weapons effect though.
It's been done and available for several years. ;)

Go here and download the Subspace Rift Sathanas.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I think he's refering to a more complete verion, add in the lighting arcing between the claws, use bob's animation code, etc...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
If this was hard to put together, a proper Subspace weapon sequence would be very near impossible.  It could be done with some submodel animation trickery and a bunch of very short-lived beams, but the number of table entries alone that it would require would be insane.  However, for the Vorlon Dred, the Victory class, and the couple of other places this type of effect shows up in this particular mod, it's a good fit.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Create an invisible 'dummy' POF in front of the ship between the 4 arms and use fire-beams to get the dreadnaught to target it. Then Have a single invisible turret on the dreadnaught or the dummy POF and use it to fire the main beam. I'm experimenting with the technique for something... similar, in Inferno, actually. :)