Author Topic: shadow carrier fighterbay  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
shadow carrier fighterbay
Someone had asked in another thread if the shadow carrier had a fighterbay, well it doesen`t..  :(

The reason i`m posting is because I have edited the carrier and placed a fighterbay in it.
If anyone is interested in it and can upload it somewhere i`d be happy to e-mail it to them so it can be at your disposal.

I`d also have to include the table file. Also to keep the original carrier from overriding it I have name it SH Carrier2.pof.
So if anyone is interested, post away.  :D

(edit) the bays are pathed also, forgot to mention that, sorry.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:35:14 pm by Whitelight »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
Re: shadow carrier fighterbay
shadows fighters "unmerge" from the anything "carrying" them. seen the battle of gorash yet?

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
I don`t recall it if i`ve seen it..
If it`s in one of the 5, b5 season dvd`s I do have it.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
its a section of an episode. you can see it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYB8RcuKbaw&mode=user&search=

the shadow crab launches a small clluster of shadow...stuff which splits into fighters. as far as i know this could be how battlecrabs (being organic creatures) poop.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Ah yes, I have seen it, thanks.  :)

Kind of makes a fighterbay redundant.  :sigh:

Poop  :lol:

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Being human I simply wasn't able to think of everything, but adding a fighterbay would do no harm. Just make sure it has 6 paths for fighters emerging from the bay so you can launch full wings of 6 Spitfires. A lot of FS2 ships have 4 paths emerging, which means when you have a wing of 6 launch, ships 4,5 and 6 all end up stacked on top of one another. Which is silly.

The ball of Shadow fighters I always wanted to do but multiple docking never quite worked right in order to stick the Shadow Fighters together.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The ball of Shadow fighters I always wanted to do but multiple docking never quite worked right in order to stick the Shadow Fighters together.

Since 3.6.9 multiple dock point work - If you have played "The Procyton Insurgency" you might recall that freighter in the 2nd mission carrying 4 or 5 fighters
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Try adding Zephyrs to the Raider Carrier.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline 0rph3u5

you mean like this?
did it FRED

EDIT: Still doubting - though so

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:10:21 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Does it actually work in game? Or does it dance around like a drunken ballet dancer as soon as you give the fighters any orders other than play dead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

does it dance around like a drunken ballet dancer as soon as you give the fighters any orders other than play dead.

that's why I posted the target view window only :D
and there is problem with getting the fighters undocked - but multi-docking like this works

EDIT: tried to get undocking to work (when-argument) but just caused a CTD 'cause of the AI code
Assert: pm->docking_bays[dockbay_index].num_spline_paths > 0
File: aicode.cpp
Line: 16221

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    ai_dock()    ai_execute_behavior()    ai_frame()    ai_process()    ship_process_post()    obj_move_all_post()    obj_move_all()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:42:21 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
This is obviously some strange definition of "works" I've not been previously aware of.

Offline 0rph3u5

This is obviously some strange definition of "works" I've not been previously aware of.

well,
18 objects can dock with another vessel now - and undock if that is part of their classes AI orders
ergo multidocking per se works

docking 18 fighters with a raider carrier works (if you make them initially) too - but the problem is that the fighter AI is not suited for that (as giving fighters the order to dock or undock crashes the game - and fighters still turn their "nothing-to-do"-cricles if they are not attacked and have not other orders even if docked)

- hmmm... isn't that something for a new feature....

EDIT: even so it would be suited for the "Spitefire-Ball"-thing to launch spitfires from a battlecrab or a carrier ...
eg. you are docking 8 spitefires to a cube with shadow textures (which by the way has the ablility to fly 1000 m/s and makes no damage nor blast upon exploding) - ingame (now that's FREDing part) the cube is launched and headed for a target 2000m from the battlecrab/carrier the cube detonates and releases the spitfires which change their orders from "Play Dead" to "Attack Anything"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 07:12:56 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
If undocking fighters from the Raider Carrier doesn't work how do you expect undocking fighters from a shadow textured cube to work? You could texture it with invisible.bmp anyway :P. Find someone to do it if you want to include it in your fixed TBP Final. My modding days are over.

Offline 0rph3u5

If undocking fighters from the Raider Carrier doesn't work how do you expect undocking fighters from a shadow textured cube to work?

the cube detonates

scripting-- just self-destructing it --- did work with containers should work with fighters
maybe I can talk someone into this

==================

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Being human I simply wasn't able to think of everything, but adding a fighterbay would do no harm. Just make sure it has 6 paths for fighters emerging from the bay so you can launch full wings of 6 Spitfires. A lot of FS2 ships have 4 paths emerging, which means when you have a wing of 6 launch, ships 4,5 and 6 all end up stacked on top of one another. Which is silly.

Then i`ll add 2 more, to make it 6.
On a side note, I don`t have the expertice to upload files. Like I stated in an eariler post in this thread, so if anyone really needs this I can send it, via e-mail. I`m working this week so it may take a few days before i`m able to add the extra bays, but adding bats, I can manage.   :D

Offline 0rph3u5

Just say a word once it is done - than I'll tell where to send it and I'll make a .tbm and stuff ready needed to get it ingame along with the old carrier

==================

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
:)

(edit) Looks at post count.  :shaking:

(edit2) I have a question about the Bays/paths. Currently I have them from the front and center of the model,
but before I go any further, would it be better if the bays were on the bottom, or the front as they now are?  I`m not sure if the front would be better or not, so let me know what you think. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:45:56 pm by Whitelight »

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Got to lookin at the carrier and the subsystem layout.
Don`t really want to relocate the subsystems on the belly..  So i`m going with the front-foward for the fighterbay.

(edit) finished fighterbays.  :D
At some point, someone will probably request a docking point, so as a bonus, I added one.  :p

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:12:37 pm by Whitelight »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Don't be tempted to mess with the other subsystems. There's a reason they are positioned inside the geometry such that you can't hit them. You damage them via a combination of FRED scripting and telepaths rather than gunfire.