Author Topic: Star Fury Pilot unofficial patch released!  (Read 8589 times)

Offline wesp5

Star Fury Pilot unofficial patch released!
Hi everybody, when playing the great Star Fury Pilot mission pack from Shaun Williams, aka "MAG",  I noticed several problems ranging from missions not ending to inconsistencies compared to the show episodes. I tried to fix all of these issues and would like to get feedback on my unofficial patch below:

http://www.filefront.com/17386623/b5sfpup11.zip

Thanks!

Offline wesp5

Re: Star Fury Pilot unofficial patch released!
Okay, I'll move my problems to get this cool old mission pack running under 3.6.12r_INF using my patch to here from the other thread where it didn't fit. As I wrote there I removed the no_bank flag successfully and I could also fix the bad warp effect in "Signs and Portents" and one crippled Whitestar. But I still get crashes with 3.6.12_INF in "The Battle of the Line", while the mission works fine in 3.6.9_INF and 3.6.10_INF:

Malloc Failed!
<no module>! KiFastSystemCallRet
<no module>! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
<no module>! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
<no module>! Error + 229 bytes
<no module>! _vm_malloc + 121 bytes
<no module>! ds_load_buffer + 774 bytes
<no module>! snd_load + 1016 bytes
<no module>! message_load_wave + 199 bytes
<no module>! message_pagein_mission_messages + 175 bytes
<no module>! level_page_in + 171 bytes
<no module>! freespace_mission_load_stuff + 206 bytes
<no module>! game_post_level_init + 182 bytes
<no module>! game_start_mission + 387 bytes
<no module>! game_enter_state + 482 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
<no module>! game_process_event + 242 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
<no module>! game_main + 782 bytes
<no module>! WinMain + 330 bytes
<no module>! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
<no module>! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
<no module>! RegisterWaitForInputIdle + 73 bytes

Any ideas? It may have to do with some missing sheridan texture replacements, but removing them doesn't help. I also still get the black boxes around capital ship explosions e.g. in "Shadow Dancing" and "Twilight Struggle". I don't think they are caused by the missions themselves and they are already there in 3.6.10_INF!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I have an issue filed in SCP mantis on that one.  Guessing it has something to do with the new sound code but no idea what.

http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2329

That one will just have to wait for a bit. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Guessing it has something to do with the new sound code but no idea what.

Thanks for that tip! I looked into the mission file and the culprit is the long speech of the EA president at the beginning of the mission which is in ogg format! Obviously 3.6.12 can't play that, either because it's to large or it can't handle oggs at all anymore. You may include this info with your bug description. I tried converting the file to wav and mp3 but the mission crashes with malloc in both cases too. For the moment I will disable the audio unless there are other codec alternatives?

I also installed TBP with the 3.6.12 Inferno build and Zathras 2.0 on a completely different system (Intel+NVIDIA compared to my own AMD+ATI) and I still get miscolored boxes around big capital ship explosions. So this is definitely not a hardware or driver issue but connected to 3.6.12! Please file a bug report for this on Mantis for me unless there are launcher parameters that may affect such artifacts.

Last not least while installing I noticed that there is no 3.6.12 build included with Zathras so any newbie who just downloads 3.4b and Zathras 2.0 will have it crash big time with the need to search through the forum to get the necessary builds. So either include them with Zathras 2.0 or if you are not allowed to do that, please add a direct link to the official download page for a package including all the latest builds.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
3.6.12 can definitely handle .oggs.

Offline wesp5

3.6.12 can definitely handle .oggs.

Strange, the moment I disable this ogg the crash is gone. Maybe the needed format for oggs has changed?

Also I played around a bit with the launcher parameters and suddenly the boxes around explosions are gone. This may still be worth looking into because the default setup after a new installation had enabled them...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, it's just that one particular .ogg that exhibits issues. Try converting it to .wav, or reconverting it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wesp5

No, it's just that one particular .ogg that exhibits issues. Try converting it to .wav, or reconverting it.

That didn't work but I noticed that this particular ogg was stereo and the other wav files are mono. So I converted it to mono, included it with the patch and now the Star Fury pack works fine with Zathras and 3.6.12 :)! At least I don't get any errors on startup anymore, I haven't yet replayed all missions ;)...

What about my idea of including the new builds into the Zathras archive? Also wouldn't it be time to release a new 3.0 version of the Campaign Pack? After all Fortune Hunters and Drums of War are finished now and I would also like to have all those never-be-finished-demo campaigns renamed to "mini" campaigns ;)!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:34:51 pm by wesp5 »

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Including the builds isn't a very good idea. It increases the filesize, and every once in while, new r-builds are released, and the archive has to be updated again.

Offline s.hales

Hi

Thank you  :yes: to Wesp5 for finding the reason behind the error I was getting with the Battle Of The Line. :)  Since I posted a query regarding this error in the "Zathras 2.0 Official Release" thread, I have written a follow up post in that thread pointing out that that my question has been answered in this thread.  Here is the link to that message: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71789.msg1431536#msg1431536.

Attached to that message is a mono version of the "presidentEMW.ogg" file so people can download it if they do not have the necessary VP file extraction and audio conversion tools on their computers.

Edit: Fixed version of "presidentEMW.ogg" is now in the re-released Star Fury Pilot patch by Wesp5 so file is no longer attached to my post...

Regards

Simon Hales
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:02:10 pm by s.hales »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
This is not a solution to the issue.  The cause of the crash needs to be determined.  If it worked in a previous build it should still work.  Why it isn't needs to be tracked down in the code. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

This is not a solution to the issue.  The cause of the crash needs to be determined.  If it worked in a previous build it should still work.  Why it isn't needs to be tracked down in the code. 

I agree with you, nevertheless I intend to include the fixed file into the next version of my patch which I will release after I tested all the missions once more. After all there were some more 3.6.12 fixes made...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
There is a new version of that file posted. 

Also make sure you are testing the missions in debug builds in both 3.6.12 and 3.6.13.  Fix whatever 3.6.13 might turn up but do it in 3.6.12 not 3.6.13 FRED. 

Offline wesp5

There is a new version of that file posted. 

What file do you mean?

Also make sure you are testing the missions in debug builds in both 3.6.12 and 3.6.13.  Fix whatever 3.6.13 might turn up but do it in 3.6.12 not 3.6.13 FRED. 

I use notepad++ to fix the issues because it's syntax stuff mostly. Also right now I haven't even used 3.6.13 and I don't know where to find it. Before I have to search throughout the whole forum again, could someone please link the current builds on the official download page!

Offline wesp5

Okay, I found the fixed ogg file in the other thread and included it. The updated patch is here:

http://www.filefront.com/17484267/b5sfpup12.zip
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:50:26 pm by wesp5 »

Offline wesp5

Update:

To make it easier to include this patch into a future DVD 2.0 release I have created an installer:

http://www.filefront.com/17909096/b5sfpup13.exe

I just downloaded and tried to play the DVD. I'm on Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, got i7 Core with 6gb RAM and 1GB Vid card.
Anyway, I can get through some of the missions but I am hitting a ton of bugs. Scans not running anywhere from 10 meters to 500 meters, and no way to force them. Objectives firing off too close together with no possible way to accomplish them given the speed and weaponry provided let alone no wingman calls available either.

Am I missing some major mission updates?
Also, are there supposed to be lots of voice overs missing?
Mainly The Drums of War 1
The Pandi will not be destroyed even if I ignore the fighters and concentrate solely on the Pandi?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:59:26 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Did you install Zathras 2.0 and FS2_Open 3.6.12 Inferno builds?

I ran the Zathras, did not update to the Inferno build.
I'll check it out, thanks =)

Looks a lot better but the mission on Easy has a ship that now goes psycotic and destroys me immediately when I am trying to open fire on the Pandi, and its rate of fire is like 10 shots per second. I never see the ship shooting me. I just can't do anything but die.