Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82800 times)

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
Sponges only work due to server plugin awesomeness, I seriously think manual mining is going to be a bit... yeah...
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Shade

Now now, it's only ~300*100*64 blocks. Which is... um... almost 2,000,000 blocks :eek2: Ok, yeah, maybe we do need a bit of help :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Fill the target area with dirt/gravel.  When you dig it away, the water will be gone.  That's how I cleared the water from my dome network.

You really want to do that for a ~300 x ~100 area?? :-/

Relative to the rest of the digging you're going to do, getting rid of a few layers of water at the surface via this method doesn't seem like a hell of a lot of extra work.  The sponges would be much quicker, though, assuming you've nothing against using items added via inventory editors.

Actually, I might have enough Lapis Lazuli that I could reconsider the use of steel....

What does Lapis Lazuli have to do with steel?

I have enough Lapis Lazuli to use it as a substitute for the steel already in my keypad.

Blue wool I think he means.

Nope.  Lapis Lazuli can be made into blocks in the same manner as gold, diamond, and steel.  And it's purty.....

Offline rhx123

Btw I set up a warp for you called "fenris", originally.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yep, we've been using it lots, thanks!

The mob trap is fully up and running now. A nice steady stream of gunpowder... :D It has to be picked up periodically, though. I can rig a timer for it later if need be.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR

Mushrooms!!!!

BTW, I left the sponges I got for the Fenris project in the center chest of the construction building.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I moved the TNT for the Fenris project downstairs in the dorms into a /cprivate chest. It doesn't feel safe to have it lying around unprotected when we've had griefers running around lately.

I'll get it out to be moved on command of course.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
How 'bout passworded chests? How do those work?

Offline rhx123

You create a passworded chest with /cpassword <password> then to use it it, you do /cunlock <password>, punch it with left click, then you can use it normally until you log off the server.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Although it's probably safe from griefers to post the password in this thread, let's not and say we didn't. :) Use PMs instead. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The Fenris now goes all the way to the bottom. Still shy of bedrock though. Anyway, to continue building up would take a lot of time just to mine out of space needed, but I'm hesitant to start using TNT at this point because I'd need to blow up rather large sections. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out how to proceed. You see, I use TNT with reckless abandon. :lol:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
2x1 tunnels with tnt every 4 blocks seems to work well. Space the tunnels every 3 blocks (tunnel block block tunnel) and you should be good to go.

I completed the dorsal hull tonight as well as the engines in back. However, the front neck looks out of alignment; on the graphic the top and bottom should align, but in the outline they don't appear to. Please recheck the bottom front hull to see if there's something you missed. :-/

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
The Fenris has been designed with decks, correct?  we should give it rooms with windows where the texture has them.  Of course, there would be differences because they would be scaled more reasonably.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The Fenris has been designed with decks, correct?  we should give it rooms with windows where the texture has them.  Of course, there would be differences because they would be scaled more reasonably.
Yup, that's the plan.

I should reiterate that although I provided top-to-bottom cross-sections that are spaced like decks would be, they don't necessarily have to correspond to the actual internal decks we eventually build. If the windows in the textures point to different spacing (that makes sense), I'm all for diversifying things instead of mindlessly sticking to a rigid deck layout. :)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm not entirely sure where the bottom front hull is. XD

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
 I've added some of the flat areas to the outline, either as outlines or fully filled-in. I've also ben working on removing the ground from above the underground sections of the outline. Fun with TNT! :)

Also, there are 5 chests of presents on the roof of the basecamp, courtesy of BlueFlames. Meantime, Kyad has been going smelt-crazy, and has smelted nearly an entire chest of smoothstone. It's coming together, lads! ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have my house set to the top level of the fenris in case you need to get up there quickly.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:46:39 pm by Sandwich »

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Also, there are 5 chests of presents on the roof of the basecamp, courtesy of BlueFlames. Meantime, Kyad has been going smelt-crazy, and has smelted 2 chests of smoothstone. It's coming together, lads! ;)

I fixed it for you

Running low on coal/charcoal as well so if anyone wants to donate some wood/coal/charcoal it would be appreciated
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:57:12 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rhx123

Plus, it's his server and he pays the bills, so he can decide if he wants you to play on it, no questions asked.
On a lighter note, the Fenris is really starting to take shape now.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Sorry guys for not working on it more. I've been distracted by singlplayer mods. :p

On a lighter note, the Fenris is really starting to take shape now.

Looking at it on the map, I think I see a small problem:  If you're going to build it from the top down, you'll need to keep the area underneath well lit, or as you block out the sun, you'll have hostile mobs spawning left, right, and center.