Author Topic: A number of important questions  (Read 2872 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
A number of important questions
These are important for my work  ;

- Can turrets on other rotating sub-objects work ok (bearing in mind their motion)?
- What is the max limit for polys on a cob for conversion?
- and for indiv. LODs?
- How does the light placement relate to using a turret?  (i.e. for centre, bounging box range, etc).  Namely, if i resize/move the model and not move the glued light, what effect will it have?
- What does the max poly>20 per vertice exactly mean?  How is it caused? -(I've had this error with a coverted model)
- Finally, how does intersecting with the main hull affect the affect the collission detection and visibility (i.e. showing through the hull) of the turret / object?
In one model turrets mounted on a vertical sloping surface (i.e. like  / from above) show through the hull when closing in on them.

Finally (2)- another thing, is that with a custom model the glued sub-object (namely the big guns on the GTD Ogre) disappear in a spherical way when flying 'between' the barrels.  this is from the chase view, so could it be something to do with the sphere of vision.

Thanks  

------------------
Team Member of The Ghost and the Darkness
        [email protected]        

"Well I believe ther's someone watching over you.  They're watching every word you say. And when you die they'll take you down and take you through. You'll realise one day that the grass is always greener on the other side, the neighbours got a car that you wanna drive, and when time is running out you wanna stay alive.  There is no wrong, there is no right, and the circle only has one side...."

(c)2001 Travis

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases

Originally posted by aldo_14:
- Can turrets on other rotating sub-objects work ok (bearing in mind their motion)?

If the normal doesn't change. So you can't have one at say... the side of a Mjolnir, but you can at the end, IIRC.

- What does the max poly>20 per vertice exactly mean?  How is it caused? -(I've had this error with a coverted model)

Either you can only have under 20 polys coming from one vertice (imagine a sphere, with a vertice at the middle and loads on the outer ring, then connect the outer ones to the center one, if that makes more than 20 polys, the central vertice will cause that error)

Or it means that you can have <20 sides/polygon. I seem to remember such an error.

[This message has been edited by Jabu (edited 07-28-2001).]

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
As far as I know the fs2 'center' of a turret from which it's rotation and firing normal are based on the axis of the turret/light combo. moving the turret without moving the light will cause problems of this nature if you also don't set the turret axis properly AFTER gluing it together. If the axis is right, but the light is off center then as far as I know the only problem you get is unusually large bounding boxes, since it creates a box centered on the turret axis but large enough to also include the light. I always make sure to have all the axis/lights on a turret in exactly the same place so i'm not THAT familiar with these errors, but these are the issues i've compiled from other posts here and at VBB.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Ah.. damn.  The problem is that the view on Truespace 5.0 corrupts when looking at large models in side / front, etc (not free camera), making it very difficult to place turrets.

This is just about bearable on a 4km-ish model, but anything much bigger becomes difficult.  

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
just scale it down then.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Hey! Speaking of scaling... how do I do that? I have Truespace 1 but when I try to enlarge a ship (with glued turret combos), it messes up the HULL perportions, and leaves the turrets in teh exact same positions.

Furthur: is creating a shield like creating a turret? Create a model, attach a light as child and attach the combo as child to hull?
Ahh... candy...
[whack!whack!]
Ahh... blood...

Originally posted by Tachnyrus:
Hey! Speaking of scaling... how do I do that? I have Truespace 1 but when I try to enlarge a ship (with glued turret combos), it messes up the HULL perportions, and leaves the turrets in teh exact same positions.

Furthur: is creating a shield like creating a turret? Create a model, attach a light as child and attach the combo as child to hull?

Don't keep any lights glued to the mesh when you rescale it, it's the lights that screw up the proportions.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
Ahh.. that would be why I never have that problem..  I always scale my models before I add any lights.
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by morris13:
Ahh.. that would be why I never have that problem..  I always scale my models before I add any lights.

As do I normally... except that in this case it causes the viewer to corrupt, so it's quite tough placing turrets on a large sized ship.

NB:  Re shields - yep, create a triangulated object, glue a light to it and name the combo 'shield', glue to hull.   Except I do all gluing as sibling, as gluing as child seems to cause some problems.

Thanks a lot guys! When I tried to create shields a while back, it appeared as the part of the ship, meaning I had a oval for a ship!

And thanks a lot to Morris' hierarchy procedure a few treads back. Much appreciated!

And now... is there any way to quickly and easily add turrets/combos/lights-to-turrets-in-place with Truespace 1.0? My model is a freakin' 50km long (2500 TS meters) and it's a REAL PAIN to add my 40-so turrets (yes only that many).
Ahh... candy...
[whack!whack!]
Ahh... blood...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Tachnyrus:
Thanks a lot guys! When I tried to create shields a while back, it appeared as the part of the ship, meaning I had a oval for a ship!

And thanks a lot to Morris' hierarchy procedure a few treads back. Much appreciated!

And now... is there any way to quickly and easily add turrets/combos/lights-to-turrets-in-place with Truespace 1.0? My model is a freakin' 50km long (2500 TS meters) and it's a REAL PAIN to add my 40-so turrets (yes only that many).

50km long? ouf, mine is still bigger  

SCREW CANON!

That ship that has a kilometer value in three digits from Hidden Terror?

Cool. Gimmie a break. I'm a newbie. This is my first ship. I'm not creating a campaign. This thing's just a big arrow with wierd blue textures and only a few overpowered guns.

On a side note; what exactly is that ship? Is it a Shivan destroyer?
Ahh... candy...
[whack!whack!]
Ahh... blood...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The echidna? nope, it's not even shivan. 3 digits? yep, it's 120 km longs. but don't look at it as a ship. it's just a scenery thingy, in fact.
SCREW CANON!