Author Topic: 3d shockwave stage two (IMG heavy!)  (Read 12337 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
3d shockwave stage two (IMG heavy!)
my laptop has 1 gb RAM and 128 mb video RAM (Radeon x600 mobile), but ill try new builds n stuff

Edit: BTW, i'm kinda slowly easing myself back into FS2,
im starting college next year, and i want the game that i play to be the game that i have to work on (maybe i wont play so much)

(im going to North Carolina State University, im majoring in Physics, for those of you that care)
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
@DaBrain:  Yeah, less frames would make me happier.  The effect is pretty nice so overall it works but when you start having multiple shockwaves using different glowmaps we're probably going to start having bmpman problems again.  I think that pretty much all of the bugs from the big bmpman upgrade have been worked out though so I'm a bit more relaxed on the whole slots usage thing (except for those 3 210 frame glowmaps in TBP which I still haven't cooled down enough to politely complain about yet :mad2: ).  I'm a bit more annoyed about the default shockwave and memory usage from that right now though so frame counts aren't the big deal for me that they may be otherwise.  :)

And it would probably be a good idea to use a different filename for the textures just to avoid having a conflict with the default 2d version.  Maybe use shockwave01g for the gold version, etc.  You may have decided on that already but I thought I'd mention it anyway.  And I am going to go ahead and fix the memory problem in CVS so the next public build will give you that wasted memory back and a few more bmpman slots to play with.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
actually, if you include the tables, there won't be any conflict. i didn't get any. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Originally posted by DaBrain
Geforce 6800LE 128 MB (Slower than the 6600 GT)

Hrm, if it's an AGP one (I'm certain that's what you have since you have an AthlonXP), you could try to do a softmod (easy as clicking a few buttons and checkboxes in Rivatuner) to unlock pipes.  While unlikely to unlock to 16 pipes (6800GT) 12 (6800NU) is quite common.

Some 6800LEs overclock really well too (can push further than 6600GTs in general).  Because the memory bus is 256bit instead of 128bit, a lower clock for a 6800LE is equivalent to a higher clock for a 6600GT.  For instance, my 6800LE can overclock to 430/930 without breaking a sweat.  Default memory speed of a 6600GT is 1000MHz, even assuming a great overclock up to 1300MHz memory, it doesn't compare.  I only have working 12 pipes though so no 6800GT for me =/

Oh, and that shockwave looks incredible :eek:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 10:06:15 pm by 998 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Cobra
actually, if you include the tables, there won't be any conflict. i didn't get any. :D

That's because bmpman/model_load() handles model texture maps differently than they do normal graphics, like the default shockwave animation.  It will only load texture maps from data/maps/ rather than looking everywhere.  You'd have to have a pretty screwed up VP package to get it to ever load the model textures wrong.  That's what the name change would prevent though since it would be easier to tell that shockwave01.tga was supposed to only be a texture and shockwave01.ani/eff was supposed to only be an effect if the names were a bit different.  This is more for packager convenience rather than to avoid code related problems.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Originally posted by DaBrain
Ok, the next build release will have a fix for the frame count problem.

I've just tested the build taylor sent me and it works perfect even with the 159 frame animation. (BTW it looks sweet!) (... wait 100+ animation... I guess I should run from the coders ;7 )

On the other had I noticed there is still a seam in the effect. Looks like I didn't 100% fix the mapping.

Sorry Raa, I guess I was a bit overbearing. :doubt:
Well, how can I sure I've fixed it? It look 100% fine in Lith.

Well, I'll work on the final release. It should be ready when the next FSO build is released. :)

Hum, is it the same released file you give to us in page 2 ??
Or is it a new released for the 100+ frame animation ?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by taylor
And it would probably be a good idea to use a different filename for the textures just to avoid having a conflict with the default 2d version.  Maybe use shockwave01g for the gold version, etc.  You may have decided on that already but I thought I'd mention it anyway.  And I am going to go ahead and fix the memory problem in CVS so the next public build will give you that wasted memory back and a few more bmpman slots to play with.

No, I didn't think about this, but it's a great idea. I'll rename the frames for the final release

Originally posted by ChronoReverse

Hrm, if it's an AGP one (I'm certain that's what you have since you have an AthlonXP), you could try to do a softmod (easy as clicking a few buttons and checkboxes in Rivatuner) to unlock pipes.  While unlikely to unlock to 16 pipes (6800GT) 12 (6800NU) is quite common.

Some 6800LEs overclock really well too (can push further than 6600GTs in general).  Because the memory bus is 256bit instead of 128bit, a lower clock for a 6800LE is equivalent to a higher clock for a 6600GT.  For instance, my 6800LE can overclock to 430/930 without breaking a sweat.  Default memory speed of a 6600GT is 1000MHz, even assuming a great overclock up to 1300MHz memory, it doesn't compare.  I only have working 12 pipes though so no 6800GT for me =/

Oh, and that shockwave looks incredible :eek:

Ok, my 6800LE is completly unlocked and the memory is overlocked in 3d mode. ;)

Originally posted by MetalDestroyer

Hum, is it the same released file you give to us in page 2 ??
Or is it a new released for the 100+ frame animation ?

This is the 159 frame animation. (Not the high-end variant though)

It works pretty well for me. No frame drops even though the old 2d shockwave is still being loaded into memory.

Quite a success. The animation looks incredible smooth. I like it a lot. :)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I took two clips for people who will never see this in-game.

Note: The compression is horrible and I wasn't able to play in 1024*768, because the fps go down too much when I take a clip.
You got the shots, so you can imagine how sharp the effect really is.  ;7

Clip 1

Clip 2
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Fenrir

• ?
That's sweet looking! Lots better than the first "fire" one.

And you must have a really low ambient light setting. I'll have to try that out for myself, too.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Quite the ass kickery. Thanks DaB

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Dab, can you slowdown the shockwave ani ??
I ask this, because we don't have enought time to admire it, and, having a very fast shockwave animation make the explo unrealistic.

I don't know if it's me or not, but with this new ani, the shockwave is faster than the first released.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Clip 1: :jaw: (although it looks like it was stolen out of star wars... :nervous: )

Clip 2: Eh, not bad, but do the double shockwaves have to be there? personally, i think it looks better with just one. :)

[EDIT] AHA! i think i know what my problem is. when i was watching the 2nd clip, i noticed that flary thingy at the start of the shockwave (see my pic), and then the shockwave burst out. it seems that's not happening for me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 04:13:34 pm by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
OMG! :eek: The waves are awesome. :yes:
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Cool, but how come the clip1 has the energy/afterburner bars screwed up?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
those are kind of cute.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
cute? :wtf:

Offline Roanoke

Wow, that just looks ace.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by MetalDestroyer
Dab, can you slowdown the shockwave ani ??
I ask this, because we don't have enought time to admire it, and, having a very fast shockwave animation make the explo unrealistic.

I don't know if it's me or not, but with this new ani, the shockwave is faster than the first released.

I'm still working on the shockwave speed. Finding a good value for each ship is pretty difficult.

The final release will have slightly slower shockwaves.

Originally posted by aldo_14
Cool, but how come the clip1 has the energy/afterburner bars screwed up?

Yeah, it looks like that at 800*600.
Non-standard modes still won't work perfect, but 1280*1024 works a lot better. ;)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Release it! Release it! ;-)

BTW: Do you plan a modified ships-tbl for TBP? That would be great.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
It's not even sure wether TBP will use it, or not.

No offical released build works correct with the final version.

The next build should support it. TBP would be forced to use that build, or 3.6.7 for the next release.

We'll have to test the compability of this build. If it works 100%, the effect could be in the next core release.

Anyway, I hope I can complete the FS2 tables tomorrow.
(hosted by Game-Warden)