Author Topic: Work in Progress: Corvette  (Read 11508 times)

Work in Progress: Corvette
This is an untextured model I recently started working on. It's about 700 metres long, and tentatively named Boreas.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Narvi

Re: Work in Progress: Corvette
Looks vaguely Vasudan. I like.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
well it looks ancient to me.. good, keep going I¿d like to see the final result :D
el hombre vicio...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Much, much weirder than anything we've ever seen in Freespace. If it has to be a spaceship at ALL I would make it an Ancients one.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
So true! Looking great by the way. Now go on a create an entire fleet :nod:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:39:29 pm by castor »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Definitely Ancient ish.

Keep in mind, there is a Cruiser class named the Boreas already.  :)
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It looks like a cuttlefish, which is a definite plus.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Keep in mind, there is a Cruiser class named the Boreas already.  :)
Honestly I really think people should be able to name their ships whatever they want. Even if the name is already being used.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Nice - keep it up, bobbtmann

It looks very organic - but ancient? I don't know...

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Nice - keep it up, bobbtmann

It looks very organic - but ancient? I don't know...

With a different texture job, it'd look nice as an ancient ship.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
With a different texture job, it'd look nice as an ancient ship.

With such an amorphous shape, it would need a seamless UV map with textures blending into each other. I would recommend generating something procedurally with Voroni maps, then unwrapping it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

It looks like a cuttlefish, which is a definite plus.

Its one of Zoidberg's ships  :D
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Heh, yeah, it looks ancient-ish.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For some reason, when I saw it I thought 'Owa' (read: Star Control 3). Maybe because I'm listening to the Daktaklakpak again. :nervous:

New species? Looks pretty much the opposite of the Tiigran-Merisst.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

New species? ...

I guess it's a member of the same species as the Notus.

With such an amorphous shape, it would need a seamless UV map with textures blending into each other. I would recommend generating something procedurally with Voroni maps, then unwrapping it.

I gather that UV mapping would be the way to go then for this model? I had briefly considered doing a tiled, or a mixture of tiled and non tiled, but I suppose the larger, empty areas don't need the resolutuion of the detailed spots...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I gather that UV mapping would be the way to go then for this model? I had briefly considered doing a tiled, or a mixture of tiled and non tiled, but I suppose the larger, empty areas don't need the resolutuion of the detailed spots...

This is why I suggested procedural mapping--there's no other way to get seamless texture wrapping. Additionally there's no real distinction between parts of the model--if you texture mapped it, it would have to be all one texture. Hence, the blending.

Texturing; the seams are pretty strong, eh? ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]