Author Topic: Some free tools  (Read 1499 times)

Offline JarC

Hi All,

Didn't feel like working this morning, so instead I worked my way thru the list of free downloads at PCPlus...found some things I thought that y'all might find useful (btw, intro's are from the description pages)

There's even a tool which you might like Kazan       seeing as how yer facing a lot of pre-calc work...

PhotoModeler Lite 4.34MB
PhotoModeler Lite employs a system called photogrammetry which turns photographs of any object into a 3D model, complete with textures. It works by mapping points and lines on to a photograph and converting the resulting grid into a 3D model, ready to be textured and rendered. (edit: it is said to support exporting in VRML, DXF and 3DS)

Satori PhotoXL 2.29 6MB
Every image editing tool you could ever need is included as part of this package, text, vector graphics, filters, deformations, layers, shadow tools - everything you'd expect from rival packages such as the GIMP and Paint Shop Pro, only now, it's free. PhotoXL can import from external TWAIN sources, such as scanners and digital cameras, however a GIF Import....(not included?)

TrueSpace 1.04 4.06MB
This isn't a lightweight modelling program - the full version of trueSpace 1.0 has many professional features, interactive painting, hierarchy, direct manipulation and a True 3D Interface.

Frhed 290KB
Some jobs can only be done by hacking into a file directly and changing the binary code within. For this you need a binary or hex file editor. Frhed is capable and quick. It edits in hexadecimal or text and can find and replace any combination. You can insert bookmarks, compare files, export as a hexdump and more.

MIRACL Calc 32KB
MIRACL Calc can, for a start it runs to 10,000 decimal places. It's also clever enough to resolve expressions in the proper order and you can type in complex expressions directly.  The Help file is laughable so you need a smattering of knowledge to use the more arcane subjects. The get the full 10,000 decimal places you need to set it by clicking on 'digits'. There are a couple of other oddities, it uses Radians and the log button turns out to be natural logs.

[EDIT]
ProgMesh 1.31MB go here to download
ProgMesh is an application for polygon simplification. You'lll be able to reduce the number of polygons without a visible loss of quality, supports 3DS (3DStudio 4.0) file format. all object properties like material and texture are maintained at any level of detail.  Also badly modeled objects are fixed, removing duplicated, degenerated and invalid faces, vertices on edges and reorienting inverted normals.
[/EDIT]

------------------
JarC (ICQ) "Dave? Will I dream?"
------------------

[This message has been edited by JarC (edited 04-09-2001).]
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Nice work. I'm sure that a coupla these will come in useful to me and others. That 3d maker-from-photos thing sounds cool... now all I have to find out is where there is a digital camera I can #ahem# borrow and where there is a large concentration of chickens  

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
Kudoth, god of pointless educational programs.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2