Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48174 times)

Offline crizza

But Aquila is a command ship of the GTVA.
Uh, what?

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
It certainly isn't in FS2, and I don't recognize it from BP (since whitearrow is looking for BP naming schemes) either.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Aquila is, however, used as a wing name in BP (as it is the name of a constellation).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
He is probably mistaking it for Aquitaine.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I reckon he is.
Latin for eagle.

Why not some sort of despair / apocalypse related name?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I was thinking also to "Concordia Sagittaria". Actually it's a small but ancient town in northeastern part of Italy. It was founded in 42 BC as "Iulia Concordia"; it was an outpost built in order to  strengthen the Romans' penetration into Gallia Cisalpina. For FS2 purposes I would reinterpret its name in this way:
"Concordia" in reference to the UEF desire for ending the war and rebuilding their worlds according to the Ubuntu philosophy.
"Sagittaria" in reference to the ship's huge beam cannon. "Sagittaria" here is in adjective position and I would translate it into "which carries arrows".
So in the end, peace through war (represented by the arrow as a weapon). It's an oxymoron that underlines the fact that this class of ships has been designed expressly for aggression and destruction, that are at the very other end in respect to the doctrine of Ubuntu. This ship is actually a painful but necessary betrayal of the main ideal of the new Terran way of living...

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
 :banghead: Fury is right.
Understanding do you me?

Offline cahdoge

Aquila is the name of Connor Kennwa's Ship.
Frigate                 (check)
heavy armed       (check)
fast                      ((check))
small                    (        )
Understanding do you me?

Offline cahdoge

sorry "Kennway's"
Understanding do you me?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You know that you can edit your own posts, right? No need for double- or tripleposting.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Nice ship, I'd imagined the Lynx from the Risen Empire Series looking something similar.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Uh, finally some progress on the texture. Me likes! :)  :yes:
I am sleeping very well in my qietschie Bettgestell :D
-------------------------------------------------------------

I know some folks say they see Shivan lines to the ship, but the way the armor plates are, I see more Vasudan influence.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Uh, finally some progress on the texture. Me likes! :)  :yes:
Well this texture has existed for long time. The problem is that I cannot manage to export it into PCS2. I am kinda stuck there...
I know some folks say they see Shivan lines to the ship, but the way the armor plates are, I see more Vasudan influence.
It's Shivans... I have never thought about Vasudans for this ship, but I am glad that my design suits to more than one interpretation!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What difficulties are you having with exporting?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Well, I used multiple UV maps in the beginning, but now actually I have one map with more materials. This at least for the hull. So Export everything in Collada and try to load it in PCS2, but actually it does not load the textures...

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
My memory has failed me, but I think this is an issue I ran into when I was doing a model years back. If I remember right (and assuming it's the same thing) it was to do with the texture names and it adding '_mat',  '_material' or something like that when it's exporting the texture data inside the DAE; I had to go into the DAE with notepad and remove that part from the end of every mention of a texture for it to recognise the textures when importing it into PCS.

I'm really sorry this isn't much help but wanted to at least offer something; hope it's the right track. I could be completely wrong so best try anything like this on a separate save (this model is beautiful and I would hate to be the one that killed it). Will keep looking and if I find any solid info will be sure to send it over (I think I found this out from someone telling me about it; haven't found a mention of it in the wiki tutorials so far).

EDIT: Another possibility separate to above, I ran into this old topic where Shadowwolf was having similar-sounding issues and it sounds like the advice Black Wolf gives him at the top solves it. Any help?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:31:04 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Crafting a new skin for the beast!

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Necrothreadaging be damned, I've been gone for a few months and I come back to mad surface details that are blowing my mind.

Epic work.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Thanks!
It's a shame that I am stuck... I need to understand well how to bake textures, normal maps etc., because every detail you see there is real polys, nothing's faked... I don't understand even if I can actually bake something from this model...