Author Topic: Would this be at all possible?  (Read 1484 times)

Would this be at all possible?
I have one really good track here, and one good idea for a mission. What I would like is to have this track play throughout the mission from start to finish (it is about 7 minutes long) with no interruptions or changes - ie ambience track, combat track, arrival track etc. I don't want that - just this one track that sums up the mood really well throughout the whole mission.

Would this be at all possible, in any way shape or form?

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Re: Would this be at all possible?
Originally posted by Assassin
I have one really good track here, and one good idea for a mission. What I would like is to have this track play throughout the mission from start to finish (it is about 7 minutes long) with no interruptions or changes - ie ambience track, combat track, arrival track etc. I don't want that - just this one track that sums up the mood really well throughout the whole mission.

Would this be at all possible, in any way shape or form?

make a new soundtrack preset with blank files in everything except the first battle track, make that your file. I think this might work but its just a guess.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

If you are talking about 1 song then it is a matter of scripting the action to reflect the mood that is currently playing. Much like the way animated music videos are made (FFX) ect... they took any song and then captured video to reflect the mood. you need to capture the essence of what's playing and translate it into an experience for the player... Easier said than done... Luck with that!
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Originally posted by Star Dragon
If you are talking about 1 song then it is a matter of scripting the action to reflect the mood that is currently playing. Much like the way animated music videos are made (FFX) ect... they took any song and then captured video to reflect the mood. you need to capture the essence of what's playing and translate it into an experience for the player... Easier said than done... Luck with that!

Yep that's exactly what I am after, I just need help on the technical side of it.

And thanks, vyper. I'll give it a go and experiment around a little. I'll let you all know how it goes.

#SoundTrack Start                        ; SoundTrack 7
$Soundtrack Name: 8: Custom
$Name:               14.0   73500   ; * Ambience
$Name:               1.8   105840   ; * Allied Arrival during Normal
$Name:               1.8   147000   ; * Enemy Arrival during Normal
$Name:   crumble.wav            27.8   147000   ; * Battle 1
$Name:               23.8   88200   ; * Battle 2
$Name:               22.8   88200   ; * Battle 3
$Name:               1.8   105840   ; * Allied Arrival during Battle
$Name:               1.8   147000   ; * Enemy Arrival during Battle
$Name:               2.8   52920   ; * Victory 1 ( goal completed )
$Name:               30.8   52920   ; * Victory 2   ( all enemies dead, goals completed )
$Name:               23.8   132300   ; * Goal Failed
$Name:               23.8   132300   ; * Player dies
#SoundTrack End                     ; End SoundTrack 6
;

Suprisingly it didn't crash, having several fields as blank apart from one which would play the chosen song. No crashes. The only problem is that it plays about 50 seconds of the song and then repeats it from the beginning. Are the 'measures' anything to do with the length the piece of played for before switching to a different track?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
perhaps those number fields after the track name?  I can't remember what those do, but it's a good bet that they control sound quality and length of track or vice versa.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Maybe just play it as the soundfile for a message sent at the start of the mission?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by aldo_14
Maybe just play it as the soundfile for a message sent at the start of the mission?

Wouldn`t that stop the game from sending any other messages? Either that or maybe it would stop playing the music as soon as a higher priority message came in.

If it doesn`t work it might be worth trying to send the music as a training message. The game might let normal messages be sent even when one of those is still active.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I use voice capture and plug it into my robotech missions for the allies and enemies but before I hit commit button I ALt-Tab out and use winamp to play my MP3 I want for the scene. I am working on timing better in making playlists so I don't  have to keep A/T out everytime I want a new song. (WE CAN WIN!)
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Originally posted by Star Dragon
(WE CAN WIN!)

please not minmei