Author Topic: New Science Cruiser of some sorts  (Read 2305 times)

New Science Cruiser of some sorts
So I liked this design and actually used it in a mission I did many years ago before I quit for awhile.
Now I dug it out and cleaned her up. Then I made the changes I felt necessary to make her a Science Cruiser in my eyes.

Please understand this is still a WIP. Yes I have many WIP's and currently trying to must up the courage to do UV mapping which I failed in several attempts so far.

There are two versions, this is the first one. The second which is not here yet, gets rid of the two large scanner pods and has one large one turned 90 degrees and shaped differently as well. I'll post that one later.

https://p3d.in/1km0v

Also, the second one I cleaned up the front end a bit and made the windows a lot smaller as I felt this version you see are quite a bit too large.

New engines, more engines and well, the design speaks for it's self.

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: New Science Cruiser of some sorts
Is this based on PeterV's GTCa Hestia?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Those egg-shaped things on top are radomes, right?  If so, you may want to give them more of the faceted surface as opposed to smooth.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Yup on the GTCa Hestia and yes again, I went bananas and Edge Spit everything.

Second version coming right up!

And here is the second version:

https://p3d.in/x1Z3n

Cleaned up the front of the ship with less faces.

Jadehawk

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I kinda like it :yes: . Hestia needs serious remapping due to UV stretching some places.  And remodelling.

I only don't get the point of blocking the hangarbay with... Are those a doors xD?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

Not a huge fan of the scanner eggs.
Maybe take the second one, flatten it, and make to smooth rather than faceted like an (irl) AWACS dish?
For the twin one I'd probably just make them more spherical instead of egg-shaped and give them crowns/adornments like the things on Imperial Star Destroyers.
As they are I find them a bit awkwardly shaped to take seriously (looks like random growths/tumours or something)
(´・ω・`)

Yes, I struggled with the shape issues and believe it or not, in real life, I worked on the E-3 AWACS! I even worked on the Aussie's AEW&C version based on the 737 platform as well. I would assume in 250 years from now, we would have taken Electronic Scanning to mount in whatever shape was needed. But yeah the big issue is making something that today's folks can RELATE too. Not what we THINK it will be, hence why some suggest to make it obvious what the contraption is made for. Having said all this, I do believe what the community wants versus what it might or should be is more important no?

I'll work on it some more.
Jadehawk

P.S> Yes them are doors on the front. I didn't like the openness of the bay and would be a hazard me thinks in real space?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:32:45 pm by Jadehawk »

And now...third try here:

https://p3d.in/kEWqA

Comments?

Jadehawk

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Much better than the previous two. :) Also, if you're going to add doors to the hangar, could you make them actually open to let the fighters in and out? FSO can do that.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
In my opinion Version 3 is the way to go.

I didn't like the openness of the bay and would be a hazard me thinks in real space?

Depends on whetever or not it is a functional space, esspecially when it comes to EVA where you might need an exterior space where to keep gear and material secured.

if you're going to add doors to the hangar, could you make them actually open to let the fighters in and out? FSO can do that.

"Open the Pod Bay doors, FSO"
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

The doors are actually separate and as you say, can be animated. So just need to build the inside which in this case, should be easy to do. YAY for FSO :)

Jadehawk

Offline Droid803

Those refined domes look nice now :)
Really helps that they look like they have a proper attachment point to sit on
(´・ω・`)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Needs disco variant.  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!