Author Topic: HTL Ticonderoga  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Boom.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
More than a little excited to see this thing ingame, for obvious reasons. :D

How far along would you say you are, model wise?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I was planning to make one as well, but... Now I see I don't have to :P. Excellent start. I hope it will resemble NuFenris from [I guess] upcoming new MediaVPs.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
As I recall, Hamano had the ventral missile turret as a twin-ed version.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Very happy to see this ship being remade, the original version really was too old for my tastes. I look forward to see this one completed.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
@Black Wolf - That really depends on how far I decide to take it. I'm not sure where I should draw the line at upgrading a (albeit very nice looking) kitbashed Fenris. Its mostly for personal use and I'd be happy just tilemapping it.

@Betrayal - Like I said, that depends on how far I decide to take it. The good thing is though that even if I decide on a lower level of detail and tiles just to get the thing done faster, I can always go back to the cleaned up and already higher detail mesh and go full blown Hades mode on it.

@Betrayal - Like I said, that depends on how far I decide to take it. The good thing is though that even if I decide on a lower level of detail and tiles just to get the thing done faster, I can always go back to the cleaned up and already higher detail mesh and go full blown Hades mode on it.

As beautiful a ship it would become, it would also mean it'll never get finished, nor released. :P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:13:05 pm by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Fair point. I'm not sure how I feel about the bottom of the midsection right now. The extension it had holding the mortar launcher seemed extremely flimsy, so I made a fluid extrusion of the hull instead. But now it seems, I dunno, a little too skinny from the front?

Also, thoughts on the gun mounts I put on the rear end? I wanted to keep them in the exact same position since moving a multipart turret is a bit of a bigger deal than the blobs I've moved so far, hence the mounts they have now.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I like the big frontal gun of Hamano's original, as well as the twin fusion-mortar turret.  I do agree that the slim support you've got for the single fusion mortar looks a little flimsy.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I got the version I'm editing from Woolie, I wasn't aware that the original had any of that on it. Suppose I ought to grab that and have a look at it too.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm not sure if the links still work, but I've got a Hamano's mod website HERE.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
The links there are still live. This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum though. Do I keep working on Woolie's with the cool multipart turrets, or do I use Hamano's turret layout with the big forward gun and double mortar launcher?

Things to sleep on.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh! I think the one from Woolie was some kitbash I made using the old HTL Fenris's ventral section. The double-launcher was replaced because no idea how to actually model back then. The double launcher is cool.

Can't say I was a fan of the big gun/5-gun configuration - the texture and facing Hamano had didn't really fit the Fenris style aesthetic IMO. Though if it were more flush with the hull slope (and thus angle downward) and flatter and more integrated into the prow I could see it potentially working.

Just go with whatever turret layout you like/feels looks best, not like there's any released campaign using one of the old version that's going to drag and drop it in as a replacement right now to my knowledge (Unification War had one with a different layout as well if I recall)

Also that blob between the thrusters at the back looks pretty uh...obstructed. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I did a ****ty MSPaint thing of some criticisms I have of the model so far.

http://i.imgur.com/lsNI4qo.png
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Blue - Already planned
Green - Nah.. I actually like the idea of some kind of struts holding the engine pieces in place. I might try to redesign them so they break the flow less though.
Yellow - Still not sure about that whole section, I intend to experiment with it.
Brown - You mean on *your* Fenris/Leviathan. Fair point about breaking the side profile up though.
Pink - Not sure, need to import a Fenris and check the scale. The midsection may actually be the same size with the ship simply being longer.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Brown - You mean on *your* Fenris/Leviathan. Fair point about breaking the side profile up though.

Wrong, the corner bevel on the retail model (and the old mediavps remodel which is basically the retail model with extrusions) is really large.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Derp. Just goes to show how long its been since I messed around with FS2. Thanks for pointing that out, I really need to port a Fenris into the scene.

Offline mr.WHO

When I look at this HTL Ticonderoga model somehow I see Inferno mod Nemesis.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
To be fair, it's basically the same idea with both of them so I can't say I blame you. The Tico was the more 'generic' one and I assume the Inferno team is working on their own HTL Nemesis anyway (If they haven't made one already) so that's why I went to work on this instead.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I believe the original Ticonderoga actually preceded the original Nemesis.

The bevel on the Tico doesn't need to match the one on the Fenris/Leviathan.  Part of the appeal of the Tico was that was distinct from the Fenris/Leviathan while nevertheless clearly being inspired by it.  (Also, if you're basing an HTL on an existing model, you should be wary of changing the outer dimensions too much.)