Author Topic: How to change maximum velocity.  (Read 2727 times)

How to change maximum velocity.
Hi, I'm new here at the Forum.

Anyways...
I want to change the maximum velocity of some fighters for a cutscene. I mean, if you have placed your FRED camera about 1km away from your fighter, than the fighter looks soooo slow. So i wanted to make them a bit faster...i mean a LOT faster. I tried out the change the velocity to 200% with "ship-lat-maneuver", "ship-maneuver" and the "cap-waypoint-speed" SEXP but this isn't really working. And i want to change the maximum velocity PERMAENTLY. I also noticed that the maximum velocity is stated in the SHIP TBL DATA, when you edit the marked ship and press the "TBL info" button. But i can't edit the velocity from FRED, and i also can't find the "TBL info" in the Freespace data folder on my harddrive.

So my question is:
Is there ANY SEXP that can help me out, is there any way to change the maximum velocity through editing data in the Freespace data folder, or do i need to copy that ship (somehow) and change the maximum velocity then, so i have additional a faster version of that ship?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How to change maximum velocity.
Unfortunately speed cannot be altered fromFRED right now. You'll have to do some
table editing - maybe invent a special cutscene version of the ship with an enhanced top speed. Can't explain on phone but it's really really easy!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The first thing you need to do is make a mod for the missions you're working on. Do not worry, this is very easy and will not hurt at all.

Step 1: Create a mod folder. Simple as that. In your FS2 folder, create a new folder, and give it a good name. In that folder, create a "data" subfolder, and within that one, create a further subfolder called "missions" and one named "tables". The final layout should be:
FS2 directory
   > yourmod
         > data
               >missions
               >tables

2. Copy all the missions you have done so far into the mod's missions directory
3. Create a mod.ini. Within your mod's folder, create a text file called "mod.ini". Make sure that the file extension is .ini, not .ini.txt.
Copy the following text into it:
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = YOUR MOD NAME HERE;
image255x112 = PLACE FOR COOL GRAPHICS FOR THE LAUNCHER;
infotext     = AWESOME BUT SHORT DESCRIPTION;
website      = WEBSITE FOR YOUR MOD;
forum        = FORUM OR THREAD FOR YOUR MOD;

[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps_2014;

Make sure to replace the ALL CAPS text there with appropriate things. Lines you do not wish to use can be deleted.

4. Get a VP file editor. Personally, I prefer VPGUI, but there are differing opinions there.

5. Open the ships.tbl file that defines the ship you wish to modify. For ships from FS2 retail, that table can be found in root_fs2.vp. Extract the file to your harddrive, and open it in the text editor of your choice (notepad++ is the choice of the discerning FSO modder, but any will do).
Search for the entry where the ship you wish to modify is defined. Copy the entire entry into the clipboard (entries end when the next entry starts).

6. Create a new text file in your mods' data\tables directory. Name it "yourmod-shp.tbm".

7. Copy the following text into it:
#Ship Classes

#End

8. Copy the ship entry from step 5 in between the #Ship classes and #End lines.

9. Rename the ship entry to "<original ship name>#Cutscene". This will create a duplicate of the ship. Note that everything following the # sign in names as well as the # sign itself will only be visible in FRED.

10. Change whatever parameters you want to change, and save the file.

11. Open the Launcher, and select your mod as the active one.

12. Start the debug executable. This will check all your tables for correctness. If there are errors or warnings, try to correct them.

13. You're done! FRED away to your heart's content!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for your Help thought, but i got stuck at step 5. I've downloaded and installed the VPGUI and i tried to extract the root_fs2.vp and even some data in BP. But after i did that i can't find ANY data in the selected folder. :confused:

Never mind. I just realised that i have to change the extraction location in the VPGUI. :D

There is an new Problem: Both launchers (wxLauncher and FS2 Open Launcher) can't find my mod. I deleted the lines image255x112, website and forum in step 3. And when i select the mod folder with the FS2 Open Launcher, it ignores MediaVP's mod. Btw wxLauncher says:,,Folder "RFC" does not have any supported executables´´. What's wrong?

You select mod in tab Mods in wxlauncher. Don't change game root folder.

I know that, but my mod isn't there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Make sure your OS is set to show file extensions (I think Windows hides them by default?) and be absolutely sure your mod.ini is called mod.ini, not mod.ini.txt.

AHAHAHA!!!
My Pegasus is flying with 10000 m/s. The Colossus looks so tiny :D.
It seems to work now, but somehow there is only the old model of the Colossus. The other ships have the new model from MediaVPs.
What could be the problem here?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Multimods.  You need to specify that your mod requires the media VPS mod in <yourmod>\mod.ini

Then FreeSpace will load mediavps, then your mod on top of it.

The added line to your mod's mod.ini should be:

[secondarylist]
MediaVPs_2014   <-whatever the actual MVPs 2014 name is, this is all from the top of my head.

EDIT: ok I almost got that right.

It's actually (example from FSPort MediaVPs which requires normal FSPort + MVPs 2014):

[launcher]
modname      = FSPort MediaVPs_2014 v3.5;
image255x112 = fsport-mediavps.bmp;
image182x80  = fsport-mediavps_small.bmp;
infotext     = Experience the FreeSpace Port with the community-created Media VPs 2014.;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=170.0;

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_2014;

This loads mediavps_2014, then fsport, then itself (fsport-mediavps)

You would need:

[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps_2014;

To load mediavps_2014, then itself (yourmod).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:10:30 am by jr2 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
jr2, no. Wrong. Completely wrong. Read the thread.

MMG: The issue is this: Copying the base entry for a ship will not cause things like the new models to be loaded for them. In order to get those, you will need to open up mv_assets.vp from the MediaVPs, and look at the -shp.tbm file in the data folder. Look for the ship entry you originally copied (like, for example, the Colossus). Then, open your -shp.tbm, and go to the entry for your ship. For every line in the Mediavps tbm, locate the corresponding line in the entry for your ship, and copy the value set in the mediavps over.

EDIT to add: It is absolutely important that the order of entries in your table stays the same. The parser expects those entries in exactly one order, any entry out of order will cause failures. You can look up the complete parsing order for table entries and explanations for what the values mean on the wiki.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:50:04 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns