Author Topic: shield generator  (Read 4111 times)

Hello,
I've seen an old post from goober saying he added a new type of subsystem $shield that if destroyed turned the shields off on the ship.

I wonder this feature has never been implemented in the main isn't it? Was there a problem with it?

Pretty sure that has been implemented, and Fate of the Galaxy would use it. Wing Commander Saga would also have used it, I think. I seem to remember having to fight shielded cap ships in an official Wing Commander game and having to take out the generator to be able to take down their shields so I could destroy them. That might have been in Wing Commander Prophecy, actually, so I don't know how much that would apply to WCS...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Even if this feature isn't in, it is exceptionally easy to replicate the effect via sexp in FRED.
So in a way it is already in.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Ok thanks for your lights on the subject

Good point, Droid83. I forgot about that. All you have to have is a named subsystem of "Shield Generator" or whatever it's supposed to be called and a subsystem destroyed sexp that forces shields down when that subsystem is destroyed.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
As far as a hardcoded shield generator type goes, there is currently no code for that in FSO; there's also no flag you can set on a subsystem to indicate that the shields should drop if it's destroyed. If you want that functionality, you'll either need to SEXP it into every mission or write a Lua script to do it automatically.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I understand, then I have another question ^^

How do you destroy the subsystem while the ship is shielded? Is there a way to make it take damage?

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
You can have an anti-subsystem weapon that pierces shields but doesn't do any hull damage.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Droid803

Or if you have a modelled shield mesh you can have it not cover the generator, which is another way of doing it. However that kind of needs the subsystem to be sticking out somehow and requires creating/editing the shield mesh in the pof.

Also, beams by default pierce shields too unless a flag is set for them not to.
(´・ω・`)

I think I'll have to try droid's method because I'd like them to be destroyed by standard weapons not only beams.

Also if the shield mesh is big enough and a small fighter fire from the inside of the mesh will it hurt the hull?

Offline Droid803

Yep, you can have fighters fly under a modeled shield meshes and damage the hull.
(´・ω・`)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yep, you can have fighters fly under a modeled shield meshes and damage the hull.

You sure about that? I'm under the rather distinct impression that that's not the case. Although if it's not, it looks like it could probably easily be implemented by allowing +Allow Bypass to work with normal shield meshes too.

I'll give a try at this to see if it works when I have a bit of time, first i'll finish my personnal conversion almost the end by now ^^

Offline Droid803

You sure about that? I'm under the rather distinct impression that that's not the case. Although if it's not, it looks like it could probably easily be implemented by allowing +Allow Bypass to work with normal shield meshes too.

Yes. I'm sure.
One of the missions in Dimensional Eclipse takes place entirely under a shield mesh of a ship (which is a huge bubble) and you can kill the ship without ever dropping its shields.
The shield stops projectiles from outside but once you're inside you can hit the hull just fine.
(´・ω・`)

Great then, thanks droid for the input!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And what of Star Destroyers from Star Wars? What happens if a Star Destroyer have all of its shield generators destroyed? The shield goes down. I've seen the effect in X-Wing Alliance and other X-wing computer games. I would like to see that effect, besides the SEXPing via FREDding and Lua scripting.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Droid803

Why does it need to be hardcoded if it can be done with one event SEXP?
(´・ω・`)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Because for years it has been hardcoded because the shields in game are automatically recharging. If a multi-"shield generator" subsystem(s) are implemented, when they destroyed, the shields and its regeneration rate are set to zero.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because for years it has been hardcoded because the shields in game are automatically recharging. If a multi-"shield generator" subsystem(s) are implemented, when they destroyed, the shields and its regeneration rate are set to zero.

Since this effect can be implemented using trivial scripts or sexps, I see no reason to integrate a feature like that in the engine (in other words: if you want it, you need to do the work yourself)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Since this effect can be implemented using trivial scripts or sexps, I see no reason to integrate a feature like that in the engine (in other words: if you want it, you need to do the work yourself)
That's what I'm thinking about right now.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template