Author Topic: Driver's license pic with a colander-hat. Because Flying Spaghetti Monster.  (Read 5731 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Driver's license pic with a colander-hat. Because Flying Spaghetti Monster.
In order to dispel prejudices, would someone like to go on record affirming their belief in pastafarianism being held as a sincere belief? Here's a template, although I think this could be greatly improved (suggestions welcome!):

"I, <insert username>, swear that I sincerely believe that pastafarianism is held as a sincere belief by many of its adherents. The preceding statement may be brought up at a later date to help others form an accurate opinion about my honesty and judgement."

Any takers? ;7

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I believe that they sincerely believe that mocking religion is an important thing that must be done for the betterment of humanity.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mikes

In order to dispel prejudices, would someone like to go on record affirming their belief in pastafarianism being held as a sincere belief? Here's a template, although I think this could be greatly improved (suggestions welcome!):

"I, <insert username>, swear that I sincerely believe that pastafarianism is held as a sincere belief by many of its adherents. The preceding statement may be brought up at a later date to help others form an accurate opinion about my honesty and judgement."

Any takers? ;7

Mh depends ... it obviously is an invented religion ... but the point is, so is (most likely) any other religion. Disagree? Just try to prove it wrong ... ;-)

On the other hand ... let me phrase it like this: if I had to personally choose between, say, obeying the Christian God and his/her/its 10 commandments and the Pastafari "god" and it's  10 "religious" commandmends to follow then I would definitely choose the Pastafari version hands down, simply because they are not a) inhumane in several ways (equating women with cattle etc.) b) completely outdated c) written as if the supposed god in question is a jealous capricious dictator.

Personally I think that that's the whole point of Pastafarianism ... on the one hand it's clearly invented by humans and quite crazy ... and on the other, if you take a moment to compare ... it becomes quickly evident that the established religons aren't any less crazy - quite the opposite - and worse that their crazyness has regularly done real damage and costs human lives throughout history up until today. Also, as numerous examples show, "being invented" never stopped a religion from becoming popular, established and recognized by state.  Just google the history of Mormonism for instance.

But to really answer your question (the quite silly) way you apparently meant it ... we'd have to wait ... uh say, about 2000 years or so and see how Pastafarianism fares then I guess.  It seems to have worked for Christianity at least, right? ;-)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:08:36 am by Mikes »

I believe that they sincerely believe that mocking religion is an important thing that must be done for the betterment of humanity.

The FSM's main purpose is to mock attempts to impose religious beliefs on others in the name of 'respect', something that's definitely important.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

The FSM's main purpose is to mock attempts to impose religious beliefs on others in the name of 'respect', something that's definitely important.

No, the FSM's main purpose is to mock unfalsifiable claims.  It's similar to Russell's teapot.

Also, Bobboau, can you clarify what you meant by this?

why don't you just admit you are a reptilian? we can all see it.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Easy to mock religion, easy to look like a complete idiot. I use to laugh with the Pastafarian jingle, but then sorta realized half of the participants looked more appropriate at a Wal-Mart with a colander on their heads. I can understand the humor, but after a while it gets stale, much like Bill Nye's relevance and bemoaning NASCAR.

People of Wal-Mart needs a Pastafarian edition :D
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

He called me a conspiracy theorist, so obviously he's an Illuminati disintel agent working for the NWO's FEMA branch.
Have I clarified my point or do I need to take it to an even more hyperbolic level to rise above poe's law?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've performed some thread surgery to split out the frivolous lawsuit discussion, which can now be found here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91004
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

He called me a conspiracy theorist, so obviously he's an Illuminati disintel agent working for the NWO's FEMA branch.
Have I clarified my point or do I need to take it to an even more hyperbolic level to rise above poe's law?

Thanks.  A person (not NGTM-1R) interpreted it as a personal attack, but I thought it might have been a humorous response in the frame of what NGTM-1R said.  Looks like it was.  Carry on.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, that's disappointing, along multiple dimensions.

but anyway, those nutty pastafarians, what will they do next? :)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3