Author Topic: HOLY **** ITS THE NEW STAR WARS TRAILER  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: HOLY **** ITS THE NEW STAR WARS TRAILER
Exactly. Basic framework of how prequels should have behaved: There's a massive war / Showdown between two parties. Then, there are two possible answers to solve this problem. Either through the Light side or through the Dark side.

IOW, the "Separatist" movement should be a real movement (instead of a puppet) that functioned as the mcGuffin to the real moral dillemmas of the stories, that could unfold and multiply as we would go along (Your point regarding Dooku is spot on).

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Funny I always felt Palpatine simultaneously puppeteering the CIS into creating all the crises he needed to expand his powers as well as expending all the military power of those alien races that would have had the clout to object to the human-centric ideology of the New Order to be one of the few things that actually I felt worked in the prequels.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

It doesn't, though. He's just everywhere, it's all about him.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It doesn't, though. He's just everywhere, it's all about him.

He is the man who's going to become Emperor through deception and intrigue. That's a forgone conclusion.

It's all about him because it's all about him. That's the nature of the story. Luck alone isn't going to get you where he arrived.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm not against the idea of Palpatine being behind everything. It's just that once again the film handled it in such a ham-fisted manner that they had to pull a "Our ability to use the force has been diminished" out of their arse in order to make their ****ty intrigue story work. And even so, it ends up with the Jedi council actually being surprised that the guy who kept voting himself more and more emergency powers was actually a bad guy when they should have seen it coming a ****ing mile away. Palpatine should have been someone the Jedi saw as a strong ally right up until the betrayal. The film did try to give that impression but it did it in such a bad way that it never rang true. Either that, or they should have given him a proper Grand Vizier role and had him secretly whispering in the ear of his puppet from a place the Jedi wouldn't see him.

On top of that, I wouldn't have minded the whole "Palapatine is in control of everything" plot line so much if we got to hear a little bit more about what the Trade Federation (in the first film) and the Separatists (in the second film) hoped to achieve. The big problem is that the films are such a mess that they are the bad guys cause they are the bad guys and that's all you need to know. You would think that when Dooku is revealed to be a Sith lord some of them might have thought to themselves "Hmmmmm, when did I agree to follow the Nazi party? Maybe that was a bad idea. Maybe I shouldn't do that." But no, they all merrily trot behind him and then act surprised when they get betrayed.

That's why Dooku turning out to be a Sith (worse still, a Sith controlled by Palpatine) was so disappointing to me. If instead he'd been an actual upstanding Jedi who Palatine had manipulated without revealing himself, it would have been a much more interesting plot line.

Finally, I have an issue with the whole Vader as the second coming plot line. He wasn't even in charge in A New Hope. It's only after the death of Tarkin that Vader becomes the second most powerful person in the universe. In A New Hope Vader is just the Emperor's go-to guy. That all got retconned somewhat in ESB but the prequels could easily have tried to explain it. It would have been nice if the films had shown Vader as someone obsessed with hunting down the Jedi to the exclusion of all else. That would make it very easy to slot him into ANH as someone who preferred to be in control of a single star destroyer chasing down Jedi and then later the Rebellion rather than someone who was in charge of everything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey guys, the trailer for the first new star wars movie in a long time has got me really hyped! It's going to be soooooo good...

:)

Wow, that trailer really doesn't hold up. Is that the actual, official trailer, or some sort of fan-thing? Because it's really bad. This one holds up better, but still not great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1T2DJBwIs

Also, speaking of alternate plots for the prequels, youtuber Belated Media did two videos on Episodes I and II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbug3AhYmw

Anyway, I'm properly excited, but keeping my expectations in check for now.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
So I just read this and - while the author's claims are thinly supported and make many a leap - I actually hope it is accurate: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

Because man, would that be a hell of a plot twist.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline CKid

start at 1:25. The guys at robot chicken knew it the whole time.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Meanwhile, with our mortal enemies..." "What, the Sith?" "No! The Federation!"

Between these, the Martian/Gravity/Interstellar, a new era of Space Sims, the return of BattleTech, the airing of an actually decent Gundam series with another on the way, I declare the Second Golden Age of Sci-Fi.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

"Meanwhile, with our mortal enemies..." "What, the Sith?" "No! The Federation!"

Between these, the Martian/Gravity/Interstellar, a new era of Space Sims, the return of BattleTech, the airing of an actually decent Gundam series with another on the way, I declare the Second Golden Age of Sci-Fi.
:eek2:
Emoticons do not do justice to what I am feeling right now!  If it does well then we might end up seeing that HD remaster of DS9 after all... (The TNG one kicks aft!)
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

They had me at the mop bucket.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

"BB-8" destroyed me  :lol: