Author Topic: Obama is visibly frustated over yet another shooting in the US.  (Read 23228 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Obama is visibly frustated over yet another shooting in the US.
didn't say you said that, was just using that as an extreme that went well past yours. doing way more that you are suggesting still wouldn't solve the problem just on the fact that the genie is out.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
But here's the thing: Universal background checks is not a big measure at all. Contrast it with, say, New York City. You say that other states have even less gun control, but that does not qualify Oregon as stricter then average at all: Those other states are significantly below the average.

The argument here, that gun control laws don't work becuase look Oregon has gun control laws is not an argument. Oregon's gun control laws are minimal. There's no requirement to be part of a shooting club, militia, or profession where these firearms are needed. There's no sanity checks. There's... well, nothing. Getting a driving license is harder, and cars are partly designed to prevent harm whilst the very purpose of a firearm is to cause it. The only thing that we can learn from this is that Oregon's gun laws, as they currently are, are not effective at preventing these tragedies. That does not at all rule out harsher measures (like those taken in NYC).

Which gun control measures would have prevented this tragedy from taking place?

The same with "Gun free school zones". That schools want to take these measures to prevent their students or teachers from taking their agression out via gunpowder abuse is a reasonable thing, but if the rest of the state does not comply they're worthless. Requiring that teachers get guns? That makes it rather easy for a student to aquire a gun without going trough the background checks, by seizing it from a teacher whilst they are performing teaching duties like explaining a math equation to a student in person. But the teacher dies first, it happened in this shooting too. Go into a classroom, shoot the teacher and then shoot the kids, and then perhaps you are yourself shot by another teacher. Okay. But that didn't prevent the tragedy from happening, it only contained it.

First, I said allow, not require.  Those teachers which feel they cannot properly safeguard a firearm do not need to get one.

In that hypothetical scenario, containment is much better than no containment.  But in a real-world scenario, the prospect of defenseless targets is what motivates mass shooters to target schools, malls, and workplaces.  If they knew the teachers were armed and prepared to defend themselves and their students, they would not target the school.  Thus the tragedy would indeed have been prevented.

Oregon legally requires campuses to allow concealed carrying. In fact, one of the survivors claims he was carrying a gun during the shooting. Goober is, as far as I can tell, totally wrong about the campus being a gun-free zone.

It turns out that the actual legal situation is rather complicated.  Snopes has a good summary.  Although school policy prevented students from carrying guns, and the school's president said the campus was a gun-free zone, this did not have legal force.

However, Oregon only authorizes concealed carry permit holders to bring guns on campus.  The shooter did not have a concealed carry permit.  Thus, for him, the campus was indeed a gun-free zone.

The claim about the Harvard study is also similarly funny. That article cites no such thing.

Did you read that article?  Here is the relevant quote, with link to the study:
Another researcher, Harvard sociologist Robert Sampson, has written that “family structure is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, predictor of variations in urban violence across cities in the United States.”

No, I was merely responding to Akalabeth Angel using the same language he used.  Perhaps the subtlety escaped you.  If he thinks it's fine to cite a journalist who implies that his political opponents are in favor of killing children, then it's perfectly reasonable to turn that argument around on him.

Perhaps the subtlety in the original comment escaped you.

"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over"

This comment can be read as being equally scathing of both sides. Sandy Hook is a great example of exactly the point when America decided that being proven correct about their ideological viewpoints was more important to most people than actually coming together and trying to figure out any kind of compromise that would actually reduce the death toll. Even the death of children wasn't enough to get people off their soapboxes and actually have a dialogue.

All right, I'll spell it out for you.  Although you can choose to read the comment as critical of both sides, the comment's first reading, its intended reading, is to say that the gun control debate is over and the child-killers won.  This is meant to characterize opponents of gun control as child killers.  That is a nasty rhetorical trick meant to completely disengage the rational part of the brain and poison the well.

The most effective way to counter that is by flipping the argument around.  The journalist, Dan Hodges, is on the record as a strong supporter of abortion, so the irony of his statement was obvious.

I never said guns should be illegal. The idea would be to enact laws that would make it as hard as possible to possible mass murdered to get their hands on firearms, primarily compact weapons. Of course, their are already so many guns among the american population, I'm actually not sure how you would approach the issue of confiscating guns from would be murders whilst ensuring law abiding gun owners are not inconvenienced too much.

I'll ask you what I asked -Joshua-: which laws would have prevented this mass murderer from obtaining firearms?  And how would you have identified him as a target for confiscation?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The claim about the Harvard study is also similarly funny. That article cites no such thing.

Did you read that article?  Here is the relevant quote, with link to the study:
Another researcher, Harvard sociologist Robert Sampson, has written that “family structure is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, predictor of variations in urban violence across cities in the United States.”

You really need to look closer at that. Where does it say that the comment is from a study? If you actually follow the link it takes you to a website about a book the guy once contributed to on divorce amongst Aftrican-Americans. Now maybe that book cites a study to back up that comment but I don't see any proof of that anywhere.

All right, I'll spell it out for you.  Although you can choose to read the comment as critical of both sides, the comment's first reading, its intended reading, is to say that the gun control debate is over and the child-killers won.  This is meant to characterize opponents of gun control as child killers.  That is a nasty rhetorical trick meant to completely disengage the rational part of the brain and poison the well.

Then don't sink to that level yourself. Given that this entire thread is about the despicable levels that BOTH sides have sunk to in a desperate attempt to keep proving they are correct, why would you choose to part of the problem? BOTH sides are child killers because being right is more important than solving the problem. Live with it.

Or better yet, do something about it other than soapboxing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:06:21 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Has either side proposed laws to address the issue?

I honestly think the "control the guns!" and the "control the shooters!" agendas won't resolve the mass-shooting issue on their own, a combination of the two must be made in order to clamp this down tightly. My engineering background has some say on this, the gun control agenda being on the back-end of the process while the shooter control agenda being on the front-end.

If political lobbying wasn't in place, the gun control agenda would be easy and straightforward to implement. However, guns are not the only way to do mass killings. Explosives, chemical agents, and brainwashing co-conspirators are other effective tools.

The shooter control agenda is hard as **** to get going, since you have to do all of this without alienating any of a persons constitutional rights, but it would be the best as it would reduce the number of offenders to begin with. No shooter, no mass shooting. I've heard many folks proclaim "Well, it's the ****er's parents fault that they didn't raise him up right!" or "Well, it's because the ****er had no faith! He should have followed the peace teaching in religion X" that cannot be addressed by the government since that conflicts with a whole slew of rights given by the Constitution. Public education may be a vantage point, and maybe publicly provided parental education is another.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Soapboxes aside, what are the options available to tackle mass shootings?

Gun control (very controversial)
Education
Detection of mental health issues

What else can be done?
What can be done to implement?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Oregon legally requires campuses to allow concealed carrying. In fact, one of the survivors claims he was carrying a gun during the shooting. Goober is, as far as I can tell, totally wrong about the campus being a gun-free zone.

It turns out that the actual legal situation is rather complicated.  Snopes has a good summary.  Although school policy prevented students from carrying guns, and the school's president said the campus was a gun-free zone, this did not have legal force.

However, Oregon only authorizes concealed carry permit holders to bring guns on campus.  The shooter did not have a concealed carry permit.  Thus, for him, the campus was indeed a gun-free zone.

The legal situation isn't really 'complicated': the campus banned guns 'except as permitted by law', and the law clearly said concealed carrying was allowed. Students were apparently aware of this to the extent that some of them carried guns. Whether the shooter himself was allowed to carry guns on the campus is irrelevant: the progun dogma is that 'good guys with a gun' will stop mass shootings unless stripped of their arms by gun control, something which has clearly and tragically failed to happen here.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What else can be done?
What can be done to implement?

Well for one thing, I've already suggested that schools teach basic gun safety. I'd suggest as a counterpoint that laws on storage of guns be tightened, for instance passing a law that states that you can't buy a gun unless you have proof that you have a suitable gun safe or lockbox to keep it in (or you must buy one at the same time). Basically a system of licensing for not just guns, but the safety precautions you should have to own a gun. I'm not suggesting any way to force the user to prove that they use it. But at least forcing them to have one is a step in the right direction.

The effect on mass shootings would be small but positive. More importantly it would help a ****load with accidental shootings and cases like this

I've got plenty of other suggestions but I doubt even that fairly sensible one would get past those who see the 2nd amendment as being the absolute ability to have guns with absolutely no restrictions.

Which gun control measures would have prevented this tragedy from taking place?

Hold on a second. It's not about preventing this tragedy. It's not about preventing that other tragedy that occured on the same day either. Or the one that occured 2 days prior. Or the one that happened on the day before that. It's about cutting down on the insane amount of mass shootings from an amount that occured these past three years to an amount that is more managable. It's impossible to prevent all tragedies from occuring, and focusing on an individual case and saying "How could we have prevented this" does not work in a country where this year there have been more mass shooting incidents this year then there have been days. The goal here is not preventing tragedies, it's cutting down their number by severely increasing the responsabilities that gun owners have on a federal level.

First of all: Make federal laws that severely discourage handing your gun to someone else or leaving it around. Make a law that says that giving your gun away or letting it get stolen means that you are complicit in a crime trough criminal neglicence. Force gun permit owners to always keep their weaponry in a locked safe and legally oblige them that, in the moment they will use their guns, they always take the shortest route to the place where they use the guns as is possible. Gun owners who lose their guns lose their permits indefinitely and at least for a year, untill they can show that they definitely had their gun taken against their will. Burden of proof is on the former owner.

Secondly: Seize all ammunition. Ammunition may only be issued by shooting ranges, hunting associations before setting out on the event, registered militia or by gun stores after showing permission from the local police police department. In the latter case, permission can only be granted for calibres that the buyer has a gun permit for, and the amount of clips is limited depending on the owner's intended purpose for the firearm. A new permit may not be granted untill the owner of the firearm can specify a valid reason for why their bullets are missing (the burden of proof is placed firmly on the gun owner here). All owned ammunition must be registered and any non-registered ammunition must be returned immeaditely. All ammunition must also be locked in a safe. Leaving ammunition outside the safe, having more ammunition then an owner is supposed to have, or developing a mental illness will see all the owner's ammunition seized and the permits revoked until the former owner can prove that he has learned their lesson or can show an indication from a psychologist that their mentall ilness does not make them a threat to other human beings.
All gun permit owners will submit to a check to see if they are not procuring their own ammuntion. Procuring ammunition yourself is also a crime unless you are a registered.

Thirdly (this is the one that may start infringing on the second amendment depending on the zealotry of the interpretation): Federalize gun permits. All gun owners must have a reason for owning a gun, whether it for collection, sporting, or self defense purposes. For any purpose other then self defense, the owner may not aquire their own ammuntion. All gun owners must have a decleration that states that they are mentally sound. All gun owners must be active members of a shooting club and must have followed basic training before a gun permit has been granted. Exceptions are made for gun collectors, who instead must ensure that their weapons can not be fired.

That is gun control. And it's either that or deploying the national gaurd to trouble spots if you want to see meaningfull change. And no, it's not going to prevent some tragedies, just like places that have these sort of laws do very occassionally have their own tragedies. But it's better then what is going on now.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:10:49 am by -Joshua- »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
While I'm not going to disagree with you Joshua, you have as much chance of getting that passed as I have of sprouting wings and flying around the room. Why not start with something realistic?

While I'm not going to disagree with you Joshua, you have as much chance of getting that passed as I have of sprouting wings and flying around the room. Why not start with something realistic?

Well, I did put it in three stages of escalating severeness :p, and yeah, that would not get passed, atleast not in one go, just like you would not sprout wings and fly around the room right now. But the larvae that were nested inside your body after your death will sprout wings and fly around the room, and they consist of bits of you. It just takes a bit longer and yes I know this is a terrible analogy.

However: Part of the issue (if not the entire issue) is that anything that can be considered a realisticly working solution is outside the extremely narrow minded political discourse. Radical things need to be put on the table so that the feasible-yet-still-working becomes part of the political discourse as well. Right now, most people discussing this don't really have a grasp of how big the problem actually is, and how big the solutions to that problem have to be. The current enviroment does not allow for that. The perception of reality by the politicians is in itself grossly unrealistic, and this has to change.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Instead of waiting for my death, I prefer to buy a WiFi drone and watch that fly around the room. :p Basically I'd rather see something small put in place now, than wait in the hope of something large that might never happen.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I've noticed that another State, Florida, has passed an Open Carry law. Forgive me if I missed it, but is there any correlation (positive or negative) with the Open Carry laws presence and the mass shootings?
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Instead of waiting for my death, I prefer to buy a WiFi drone and watch that fly around the room. :p Basically I'd rather see something small put in place now, than wait in the hope of something large that might never happen.

I think we're talking past eachother a bit: I see a thing like "universal background checks" being stated as a big thing by Goober, whilst it's actually a very small thing. My proposal is more about showing what a big thing actually is.

If one were to consider my proposal as an end goal to work towards, I'd first start with the responsability clauses: If another person does bad stuff with your gun, you are complicit by providing that gun.
Another thing I have noticed is the... chaos that is caused by these sort of incidents, yet they happen quite often. We all know what to do if a firedrill starts, but we don't know what to do if an assault happens.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I think we're talking past eachother a bit: I see a thing like "universal background checks" being stated as a big thing by Goober, whilst it's actually a very small thing. My proposal is more about showing what a big thing actually is.

If one were to consider my proposal as an end goal to work towards, I'd first start with the responsability clauses: If another person does bad stuff with your gun, you are complicit by providing that gun.
Another thing I have noticed is the... chaos that is caused by these sort of incidents, yet they happen quite often. We all know what to do if a firedrill starts, but we don't know what to do if an assault happens.

You are essentially saying that by owning a firearm, you are guilty until proven innocent, of another person's crimes  !!

Now that doesn't run afoul of rights guaranteed by the Constitution or anything....

And nobody seems to note that you can make your own firearms and your own ammunition

"Well people don't do that much."

People didn't make their own whiskey much before prohibition, either, now, did they?  :rolleyes:  I also strongly suspect that if marijuana gets legalized everywhere, the number of people growing their own plants will decrease.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No, he's essentially saying that if someone commits a crime with a gun you were supposed to have secured, you are criminally liable and will get a trial of your own. In the story I linked to earlier, a man who did so little to secure his gun that an 11 year old was able to get hold of it and shoot someone. Don't you think he should be charged with a crime?

As for being able to make your own guns, yes you can. You can also make your own explosives, chemical weapons and nuclear reactors if you're determined enough. Doesn't mean that you can't have some kind of prohibition on them because of that. As the barriers to entry grow, the likelihood of someone doing it also grows less.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Well the idea behind gun control is to reduce the ease of access to firearms so mass shootings are less in occurrence.

Though, I've become contemptuous of most of the debate because the sides involved devalue both the tragedies and humanity of the victims in the process. Rather than be allowed to grieve, people are more quick to bandy various slogans, ideologies and half-assed claims. I believe the mass shootings are symptoms of a larger malaise in society, not to absolve shooters of their responsibilities, but establish that a combination of factors drive people to do such things. The way things are, people snap at some point and intend to go down by causing a ruckus.

Simply put, I think these spree killers are the product of societal stress, isolation, and dehumanization.

Media hysteria doesn't help, rather it helps to obfuscate and not only make the issue worse, but pushes for simply more histrionics.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
And nobody seems to note that you can make your own firearms and your own ammunition

"Well people don't do that much."

Making your own firearm requires a serious amount of knowledge and craftiness. Simple pipe guns are usually single-shot mechanisms. Hand loading your own ammunition takes time, is dangerous if you do not know what your doing (overpressure rounds will easily blow up your gun) and making your own brass requires specialized equipment, all of which take time to acquire.

It's my opinion that homemade weaponry is thus not an issue in regards to mass shootings. It is still an issue, yes, but one that cannot be addressed by government prevention. Focus should be on the psychological and sociological aspects when homemade weaponry pose a greater threat than manufactured weaponry.
chief1983

------------

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
3d printing technology is advancing rapidly.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
3d printing technology is advancing rapidly.

Current 3D printing resins are not strong enough to make a firearm that can survive a shot or two. Katie Couric hosted a show about them, at least, although I haven't seen that episode.
chief1983

------------