Author Topic: Pics of some new TVWar ships  (Read 26175 times)

Pics of some new TVWar ships
Originally posted by Hades
Who said corvettes didn't exist in the T-VWar? We never saw any in the Great War, but that war was only a fe months long. Also, the Repulse is a little bigger than a Fenris. Also, isn't a Fenris either bigger, or the same size as an Aeolus?

Also, we can't "just resize it". It would take a little of our precious resources, which can't be spent on something so trivial at the moment. Although it looks like a boat, the GTCv Repulse is a good sized warship. Go and download the Stripped down version. It has all of the new models ( Except for two I just got a few days ago ) if you want you can resize it.:D

Give me a starte ancer!:o  Thats a duble post! And this mod is sopost to fit with both games right?:confused:  I'll say it one last time! The size is right for now but that ship will not and could never have been a Corvette read the Techinfo on the Corvette Dimos!!!! it said that it was a new class and was the "next" wave of warships! so no Corvettes! If you insit on Duble posting I will have no other option but to pull out of this mod and label it as non Cannon in the FS stroy! :ha:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 03:31:34 pm by 194 »
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by StarGunner
I will have no other option but to pull out of this mod and label it as non Cannon in the FS stroy! :ha:

It is non cannon so what's your point there?

From FS2 ships table:
Deimos-class corvettes, such as the GTCv Actium and the GTCv Lysander, are the newest addition to the Terran fleet. These sleek, ultra-modern warships are the products of a new era of ship design, maximizing maneuverability and firepower. Their hulls are strengthened with collapsed-core molybdenum sheathing for better protection against beam fire, and their Vasudan-designed reactor core provides more energy per ton than any other allied ship class. As the Leviathan and Fenris cruisers of the Great War are gradually phased out, these corvettes will become the foundation of tomorrow's fleet

I don't see nothing saying the corvette as a class is new, it says the Deimos  corvette is a new addition. So other class of corvettes can exist.

It's a game. As for non-Cannon... This isn't religion. There is no Blashphemy...

'you said the orion came out in xxxx and this developer not buried in X file says xxxx!!! So there!'

Whatever, I'll try it and it if is good or if it sucks won't matter on political 'cannon-ess' or not, but rather the skills of those participating in it! :nod:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Hades
Why rename the Soveriegn? I like that name.

I like it too; don't misunderstand.  But I like continuity as well, and naming it GTD Reliant would fit nicely with another (admittedly non-canon) campaign.  Perhaps you could feature a GTD Sovereign of the Reliant class, as a way of keeping the Sovereign name.

Originally posted by Star Dragon
(quote) "you said the orion came out in xxxx and this developer not buried in X file says xxxx!!! So there!

I hope this part wasn't directed at me.  I like continuity, and I try to maintain it - but if there's a contradiction, it's not the end of the world.  Only FS1, ST, and FS2 are canon, after all.  If :v: came out with a FS3 which contradicted most of our user-made campaigns, they'd instantly become campaigns set in alternate universes.

I haven't played Cardinal Spear yet, but I'd want to maintain continuity with that campaign as well.  If someone designs FreeSpace campaign that fits with known canon, I assume it takes place in the FreeSpace universe that we know.  If I'm doing something of my own, I want to maintain as much continuity as possible among as many campaigns as possible.  It's more fun that way, I think.

Originally posted by Star Dragon
Whatever, I'll try it and it if is good or if it sucks won't matter on political 'cannon-ess' or not, but rather the skills of those participating in it! :nod:

Well said. :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 04:32:28 pm by 561 »

Offline Solatar

Well, I think FSURP is canon. Most of the community agress to that. As for corvettes not existing in the T-V War, Woomeister got to it before I did, the tech description for the Deimos.

Nowhere, anywhere, at all, in Descent/Conflict, Freespace: The Great War, Silent Threat, or Freespace2 does it say that corvettes were specific to Freespace2. Just tell me where it says that, and I'll agree with you.

Also, the GTCv Repulse won't have extremely thick armor like teh Deimos. It will have around the same as a Leviathan, but it will be able to take on warships better than fighters. Fighters will be its main weakness. Since there is no flak ( Well, we do have the Havoc, and some other cluster bombs, but not true flak ) the ML-32, and 50 Caliber are the main anti-fighter weapons. The ML-32 fires slightly faster than the ML-16, and the 50 Caliber is a little weaker than the avenger, and uses the avenger sound.

EDIT: Okay, I think I'll use Cardinal Spear as canon for this MOD, I'll have to check out Awakenings. I think I've played it though. Is that the campaign with The Sand of Normandy mission? That mission is one of my all time favorite missions for either fs1 or fs2.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 06:18:03 pm by 691 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
EDIT: Okay, I think I'll use Cardinal Spear as canon for this MOD, I'll have to check out Awakenings. I think I've played it though. Is that the campaign with The Sand of Normandy mission? That mission is one of my all time favorite missions for either fs1 or fs2.

Yup, that's the one.

P.S. I suppose if you really wanted to keep the class name Sovereign, you could just go with GTD Sovereign and say that Awakenings got the class name wrong. ;)

Offline Solatar

As much as me and my team like writing history, I think I'll stay near most of the fs1 TVWar campaigns. I am currently converting Cardinal Spear, and I have changed a bunch of my new weapons to the Cardinal Spear equivilents.

I don't remember much about the Awakenings campaign, but I did like it.

EDIT: For CS, I am using some of the new weapons, and some of the original CS ones. Unless anybody has any objections, the Plasma Cannon is out. It looks to funky firing from a bomber. Mines are still in though. Instead of the HL-14 Laser, I have the Flux. Instead of the Plasma Cannon, I have the Phalanx ( Machine Gun ). I am using the Roc Eye, and the Vulcan.

EDIT2: Vulcan is now a primary.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 06:53:02 pm by 691 »

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Originally posted by Goober5000
First, why would the GTA want to construct five ships as massive as the Orion when the Unification War had ended and there were no enemies in sight?  I presumed that only a threat as serious as the Vasudans would lead the GTA to develop the Orion.  Thus the Orion being built only after the T-V war had dragged on for at least a year.

As the history said, the GTD Orion was to be a figurehead more than anything else.  The GTA fleet was an old, crumbling orginization, yet the threat of war, civil war, wasn't completely gone.  (There's something like barely 20 years, less than a generation, between the UW and 14 Year War.)  A big ship like the Orion would surly scare the bejesus out of any rebel factions.  Five ships were ordered due to the pre-UW backstory I never really finished (one for each of the GTA members, the Terran Alliance, Lunar Republic, Martian Federation, Jovian Alliance and Outer Planets Union (the money wasn't there for the sixth group, the Keplar Confederation, and no one wanted them to have one anyway as they were the most likely to rebel)).  The Vasudans were a potential threat, so production was sped up.  

As to the name Sagitarius, he was a great archer, a great hunter and teacher in mythology, he's got his own constilation, and he was hung like a horse (half man-half horse).  Frankly, its only one of two things I want out of this mess, the other being the reservation of the Battle of Ribos.  I don't see why you have such a problem with it Thor.  It's not like I want it named after myself or something.

Besides, it shortens well.  The Sagi (pronounce up to the "t").  And I like the name, so there.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Esh, my biggest problem with Sagitarius is that it was used for wings in both FS1 and 2.  That's all.  

Now I have an even bigger problem.  WILL YOU AND HADES PLEASE READ MY BLOODY GUIDE!!!!!  It has a lot of useful information.

I take it that the Reliant was from Cardinal Spear.  I'm not sure if it specified it or not, by why can't the Reliant be an Orion?

Ok, The GTCv Repulse will remain that.  I think its preatty much a done issue.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Solatar

The Sagittarius is already a name for a fighter name. I just think we should reserve Sagittarius ( Because he was an archer ) for an artillary ship.

Offline Thor

Possible idea, how about a GTHc? stands for Galactic Terran Heavy Cruiser? Would that please everybody?

GTHc Repulse

Offline Thor

I don't like the idea of using a campaign as "canon" but I'm sure we can incorporate it into the Project just fine.  Is the guy who made it still around, or reachable?  We should ask him if it's all right to mess with somethings, and see if he wants to help, if he can.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Thor
I take it that the Reliant was from Cardinal Spear. I'm not sure if it specified it or not, by why can't the Reliant be an Orion?

I haven't played Cardinal Spear yet, but it's on my to-do list. :D So I really don't know about events from that campaign.

The Reliant is a separate class of destroyer from the Orion.  It's mentioned, but does not appear in, Awakenings.  Here's the entire applicable command brief from Awakenings that mentions Operation Midway, with the Reliant information highlighted:

* Galatea Station
* 02-27-38
* Vasuda System

Origin of Orions

After three days of going over the flight logs of the Iowa and Moscow and reviewing old GTA ship records, we have solved the mystery of the rogue Orions.

------------------------------

Origin of Orions

On or about April 16, 2128, a huge GTA invasion fleet entered the Antares-Vasuda jump node.  The fleet, consisting of fourteen GTC Fenris class cruisers, nine GTD Reliant class destroyers, and three GTD Orion class destroyers, disappeared moments after entering subspace.  At the Vasudan end of the node, one ship, the GTC Hornbeck, emerged.

Origin of Orions (cont)

The disappearance of the fleet stuck the GTA in a bind.  The loss of the fleet caused our forces to cancel Operation Midway (the invasion of the Vasuda system) and almost caused the Terrans to lose the T-V war.

Origin of Orions (cont)

The sudden vanishing of the strike fleet was brilliantly covered up by a series of false reports, each report claiming to have lost a ship in different systems.  Vasudan code slicers were led to believe that the entire fleet had been decimated.  

The crews of both ships appear to have, according to our experts, "just vanished".  The actual explanation of the dissappearance has yet to be determined.

Our Standing

Not to pass up a great oportunity like this, we've already began refitting and resupplying the Orions.

The GTD Moscow has completed restocking and is heading to Ribos to combat the Shivans there.  We are finishing restocking the GTD Iowa as we speak.  More about that in your mission briefing.

Pilot Transfer

All members of Alpha and Beta Wings have been transferred to the GTD Iowa as of 1400 hrs.  Your new captain will be Admiral Gloval, previously from the GTC Wolf.

Your final briefing for Galatea Station follows this command briefing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 10:12:14 pm by 561 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
New post, because my previous one was a bit long on quotes...

Howabout GTHC rather than GTHc.  Each initial letter is capitalized - thus GTSC for Galactic Terran Science Cruiser, but GTCv for Galactic Terran Corvette - the V doesn't stand for a separate word.

Let's not call user-made campaigns canon - they're not, and if someone wants to ignore some part of a user-made campaign, that's entirely their perogative.  It's good to have "continuity" among campaigns, but no user-made campaign is "canon".

Awakenings, released November 1998, was headed by Nathan Hoying (email [email protected]), alias Dynamo.  Is he the same Dynamo who's registered here under that name?

Cardinal Spear, released July 1999, was headed by Adam Rorabaugh (email [email protected]), alias Ace.  There are probably quite a few pilots who go by that callsign.

Thor, can you post a link to the guide you're talking about?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 10:23:30 pm by 561 »

Offline Thor

Edit:  Goober, would you like to join the Team?  We always need help, and you seem interested.

GTHC works for me.  Just so long as we don't have several different cruisers running around.  It'll also allow for easy recognition of the model (GTHC is only used for Repulse)

The Reliant and Sagittarius.  I have the solution.  When the Fleet is upgraded to incorporate Subspace drives, The GTBc Sovereign and GTCa Ark Royal is so greatly upgraded that the upgrades are given new designations, GTBc Reliant (I think a two letter change is acceptable) and GTCa Sagittarius.  Now, the Sovereign and Ark Royal are either replaced/upgraded to the new ships, or towed to serve as outposts and and sentries in a single system.  Will that suit everyones needs?

Here is the guide.  It is not finished, and reflexs none of this decussion, yet.  But It is still very informative (I think, and is certainly big enough)  It is a word doc, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 10:40:29 pm by 850 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Edit: Goober, would you like to join the Team? We always need help, and you seem interested.

Cool.  Sure, that'd be great. :D I'll PM you with my resume ( :lol: ) in a sec.

GTBc Reliant (I think a two letter change is acceptable)

Meh, if you're going to call it Reliant, go all the way and make it GTD.  (By the way, to conform with GTHC, GTBc should be GTBC.  Just a nitpick. ;))  Perhaps you could justify going GTBC -> GTD by saying that intersystem capability gives it a greater role and thus a more important designation.  But your upgrade idea sounds like a terrific compromise. :yes:

Thanks for the guide, btw. :)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Hades, Thor, don't make me kill you.  I want the name Sagittarius for a very old carrier class (developed, built and used pre-UW, and survived to the 14 Year War because they were so well designed).  If you don't like it, tough luck.  I can rewrite the timeline, I'll let you add quasi-beam weapons when there really shouldn't be any, I'll let you invent ship classes that likely didn't exist for the time period, but I want that name and the Battle of Ribos.  Everything else is yours to do with as you please.  If you can't let me have this one little thing, I'm gone.  You can build the whole damn thing yourself.  I just want the ship class and the battle AND THESE ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE!

GOT ME!?
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*wonders what the hell Eishtmo has up his sleeve*
[color=002800]*or up his ass*[/color]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 06:52:29 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
*is impressed by Eishtmo's chutzpah*

*decides to dig in and fight for the GTD Reliant*

And now I'm on the team, so I get an extra vote! :D

Offline Solatar

Just wondering, what are you going to do if we don't put in the Sagiattarius?

Also, what has you bent on that name? What's the matter with the name Ark Royal?

EDIT: You can have the battle of Ribos. We are mostly doing the Unification War, the initial attacks on Vasuda, and the Vega Engagement.

EDIT2: Although I don't want you to quit, if you keep demanding things, I can let you go. It's not that hard to write a story for a campaign. Also, we don't have a damn model for another carrier. So, mister know-it-all, what the hell do you expect me to do? Will you be happy with an Ark Royal carrier named the Saggittarius. And tell me, what has you so bent on that name??

How about this, you make it, and I'll put it in the MOD. No, you get me the model, I'll put it in. Try it, getting new models takes a while. not overnight ( Most of the time :D ). Also, we will be using the Leo Battlecruiser, if that makes you feel any better. I decided last night that the Ticonderoga model should be the Leo Battlecruiser.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the idea, but we just don't have a model for it. If we get one that suits you, I'll put it in. Promise:D

We have more capital ships for the Terrans than were present in fs2 ( Counting cruisers, corvettes, and destroyers ). But we have only one new Vasudan ship. The Mauler. It is a reskin of the Athena from Cardinal Spear. Needless to say, the T-V War can't go on without Vasudans.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 08:02:45 pm by 691 »