Author Topic: Why can't a cap ship be invulnerable?  (Read 1135 times)

Why can't a cap ship be invulnerable?
I'm trying to produce a mission in which a GTBS Archangel jumps in and destroys two corvettes without taking damage. So I make it invulnerable to accomplish this. However, when I save, the damned program turns off the invulnerability! It was working just five minutes before... and furthermore it kept coming up with an error in the mission that FRED couldn't detect: it looks for a nonexistent tag called [$IFF] in the mission file. I think when it finds that error, it disallows the ship to be invulneralbe. A large amount of the plotline hinges on this ship being invulneralbe (until I say otherwise), so why why WHY is FRED suddenly so uncooperative? If it matters, I'm running both FRED and Freespace Open on the latest CVS build.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Re: Why can't a cap ship be invulnerable?
try a workaround for now:

when
-has-ship-arrived-delay
--Archangel
-ship-invulnerable
--Archangel
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Use a newer build and it will work fine. That IFF thing is due to a mission format change sometime in December.

Use a newer build....

I'm using the newest build there is.

The workaround above worked, although now the ship refuses to activate its weapons. Since it activated them in a different mission I'm hoping that it was an isolated incident. I worked it into the mission by saying that the beams malfunctioned due to nebular interference...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Strange, that $IFF tag error is something I have only gotten in older builds when playing missions that were saved by newer FREDs. Maybe there is problem in the latest FRED build.