Author Topic: Possible additions to FS2  (Read 4509 times)

Possible additions to FS2
I think this has been asked many times before but Ima try my shot.

1. OpenGL support. Can this be implemented into the FS2 engine?
2. Moving wing appendages (just like real flight simulators)
3. SUPPORT.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well OGL is already halfway done
and moveing wings ect isn't going to be very usefull in the vacume of space
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Originally posted by Bobboau
well OGL is already halfway done
and moveing wings ect isn't going to be very usefull in the vacume of space

i beg to differ on the subject of moble wings in space. notice in the Medusa bomber how theres "apendage like" wings off the exhaust of the bomber. when the bomber moves up or down it looks like it uses those "wings" or stabalizers to pull up or down.  some fighters even in space anime have had "moble" wings that allow it to menuver better in space. look at the f-22 raptor with its moble exhaust engines design, it allows the f-22 greater menuverability compared to pther fighters for example. that and it would look interesting.

btw whos douing the OGL coding?

I beleive its called "thrust vectoring".

Wings are usless in space.
Does anyone actually know how the freespace ships turn?  Do they fire manuvering thrusters, like on the space shuttle's nose, or some sort of energy transfer system.  I beleive this was discussed on the VBB.

as for things i'd like to see in freespace...

Damage mapped on ships.  In the maps that cover ships a pair could be made for each section, one undamaged and clean, the other with some scorch marks or holes in it.  When a ship takes a few hits in that section, the later map is added to it.
But i don't have to first idea about the sorce code, so someone else can do it.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Wings in space are something to put weapons and engines on.  Other than that, they're completely useless.
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Originally posted by NotDefault
Wings in space are something to put weapons and engines on.  Other than that, they're completely useless.

Unles you are going to use it for atmospheric attacks. like ground bases.;) And other planetary defenses.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yes but carying all that dead weight you will be at a disadvantage to the other ships that are totaly dedicated to spacefighting
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
wings allow to have fuel tanks away from the hull, too... pretty useful if one blows up and you don't want to experience the always fun to watch explosive decompression :p. it also allows you to have maneuvring thrusters far away from the center of gravity, which will make them more efficient ( the increase of efficiency would be more important than the loss beacuse of additional mass, -lever mechanics- ). of course you could argue a simple "stick" or something could do that too.
Wings can also be explain by sciefi crap, but as anybody can make this up...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Bobboau
yes but carying all that dead weight you will be at a disadvantage to the other ships that are totaly dedicated to spacefighting

Explain how in the void of space, with weightlessness (zero-g), and practically no friction, a ship can be "heavy". In theory, wouldn't all of the ships have the same capabilities?

Infinitely high speeds, and no way of stopping? :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
The only thing that matters in newtonian space is how much force you can generate in a certain direction. If yer ship was loaded with fuel/weapons/space-crack, it would turn slower as it would need to apply more force in order to turn.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
You can still get ripped apart or crushed by acceleration and turning.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h

Explain how in the void of space, with weightlessness (zero-g), and practically no friction, a ship can be "heavy". In theory, wouldn't all of the ships have the same capabilities?

Infinitely high speeds, and no way of stopping? :p
What he probably meant was "mass," not weight.  Add unnecessary stuff to your ship, and the mass still increases.

F=ma, you know... this is basic high school physics.  In other words, if you double the mass, it takes twice the force to accelerate (or to decelerate, or to turn -- all really the same thing in space).  So your engines and reactors must be twice as powerful, which probably means even more mass, etc.

And infinitely high speeds, and no way of stopping (or turning) would suck in a dogfight :p

Of course this is Newtonian physics, which, as we all know, has very little relevance to the FS universe ;)
your source code slave

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Originally posted by beatspete
as for things i'd like to see in freespace...

Damage mapped on ships.  In the maps that cover ships a pair could be made for each section, one undamaged and clean, the other with some scorch marks or holes in it.  When a ship takes a few hits in that section, the later map is added to it.
But i don't have to first idea about the sorce code, so someone else can do it.

pete

How about having some generic "hole" or "burned" maps that would be "sticked" in the ship's model where i was hit??? Sort of FPS style when you shoot at walls or someone, it draws a hole where the bullet hits :) Much cooler and realistic
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
aka 'decals' - commonly used for FPS's (in particular) nowadays, for blood spatter, etc.

Easier to do than geo-mod, I'd expect :)

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Other then the guy working on a Linux port, I don't think anyone is actually working on OpenGL for FS2 yet. (And I don't know if he is using the partly made OpenGL stuff that came with it.) He hasn't done any 3D stuff either.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by EdrickV
Other then the guy working on a Linux port, I don't think anyone is actually working on OpenGL for FS2 yet. (And I don't know if he is using the partly made OpenGL stuff that came with it.) He hasn't done any 3D stuff either.
I guess that would be me :D  I'm kinda sorta using the :V: OpenGL code as a base.

However, if you look closely at the Graphics/gropengl.cpp source file, you'll see that there's not a lot of code there, and none of it is OpenGL specific.. there's not even an #include in it.. It mostly deals with setting up clip regions, color management, and some other generic stuff.

2D is (mostly) working, 3D not at all.  Yet.
your source code slave

Offline Riven

Originally posted by beatspete

Does anyone actually know how the freespace ships turn?  Do they fire manuvering thrusters, like on the space shuttle's nose, or some sort of energy transfer system.  

There is an ani file (i can't remember which one) where a
GTFR Poseidon is shown manuvering onto a cargo crate. In this ani you can clearly see manuvering thrusters on the nose, being used. But could this be done in the FS code. I always thought it was strange how just by turing off your thrusters you could come to a complete stop! This goes agains newton's law of something or other!

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Originally posted by Maeglamor
You can still get ripped apart or crushed by acceleration and turning.

Alpha 1 never dies, because of that:D:p
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Grey Wolf

The purpose of wings in space are to:[list=A]
  • Mount extra weapons (Ex.: V-Wing)
  • Give it atmospheric capabilities (Ex.: Space Shuttle)
  • Make it look damn sw33+ (Ex.: X-Wing)
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
V-wings are airspeeders, not spaceships. :p

And X-Wings do have atmospheric capabilites...but they use repulsorlifts, not their wings.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.