General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging

<< < (146/163) > >>

herkie423:

--- Quote from: Iain Baker on April 09, 2023, 11:54:32 am ---Link to how to get 3D models back, plus lots of other goodies, such as reverse gear and glide 😎

--- End quote ---

Well, getting models is easy. We have model dumps here in HLP.

As for auto-aim fixes and other stuffs, the physical model has nothing to do with. It's in the ship's table entries, or global LUA scripts (which I have no idea unless I have a sample which I can decipher), or other scripts like in the link you posted (which I will begin to decipher.)

redmagejoe:
I just noticed something while playing Exodus in the FreeSpace Port, which I confirmed by going and watching a longplay of the original Descent: FreeSpace. It would appear that there was an oversight in this mission design, where based on voice lines, in some instances the nodes for Sirius and Aldebaran are "swapped", or at least the orders given to certain ships are. Kappa 4 carries supplies for its forces in Sirius, but goes to the Aldebaran jump node, while Kappa 5 and Kappa 6 go to the Sirius jump node, with Kappa 6 stating it is now departing for Aldebaran.

It would seem that the port team decided to keep this oversight intact, and I was curious if the philosophy was to create as close to a 1:1 emulation of the original game as possible without improvements.

ShivanSpS:

--- Quote from: redmagejoe on April 10, 2023, 01:15:18 pm ---I just noticed something while playing Exodus in the FreeSpace Port, which I confirmed by going and watching a longplay of the original Descent: FreeSpace. It would appear that there was an oversight in this mission design, where based on voice lines, in some instances the nodes for Sirius and Aldebaran are "swapped", or at least the orders given to certain ships are. Kappa 4 carries supplies for its forces in Sirius, but goes to the Aldebaran jump node, while Kappa 5 and Kappa 6 go to the Sirius jump node, with Kappa 6 stating it is now departing for Aldebaran.

It would seem that the port team decided to keep this oversight intact, and I was curious if the philosophy was to create as close to a 1:1 emulation of the original game as possible without improvements.

--- End quote ---

Yeah FS1 node inconsistencies are well documented
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Node_Inconsistencies

The only way to actually fix that is to re-write the entire FS1.

Btw, that is something im doing, not great progress just minors bits here and there, but "Ribos: The Aftermath", and "Retreat from Deneb" are actually two bits from that story, and the changes make them not 100% canon compatible.
But, im not planing to release anything more playable, in fact KnossosNET may actually be my last project, after that i just want to focus on finishing the writing of that story. At most i may make some new cutscene.

redmagejoe:
Well, I knew there were more general node inconsistencies in terms of the wider universe, but what I was talking about wasn't so much an entire rewrite as it was a single inconsistency within one mission. Really it just seems like Kappa 4 and Kappa 6 were meant to be switched, and everything else in the mission would play out properly.

Asteroth:

--- Quote from: redmagejoe on April 10, 2023, 01:15:18 pm ---It would seem that the port team decided to keep this oversight intact, and I was curious if the philosophy was to create as close to a 1:1 emulation of the original game as possible without improvements.

--- End quote ---
AIUI, yes, that is the intention. It is a port of Freespace 1 into Freespace 2, warts and all. Though there may be occasional exception for bugs which prevent the mission from working properly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version