Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 905876 times)

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
There was a short-story written with the serial-numbers filed off (Replace Shivan for Nemesis, Alliance for GTVA etc):

Morrigan in the Sunglare, and Morrigan in the Shadow:

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/dickinson_12_15/

It's a rough draft of how the rest of the War in Heaven arc would have gone. I'm not on discord, but it was never officially cancelled to my knowledge, just put on hold as people did their own projects.

Damn.  I may need to check it out, but I genuinely was enjoying this entire mod story!  Honestly, it was the first time I got to use my HOTAS on a space sim, and it worked perfectly!
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

It's a damn good read, and in the absence of anything further its canon in my mind.

Offline genites

• Steam
Same here. I'm glad this was posted as it actually gave me some closure.
Cheers

That was a long but hella amazing read.
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
That was a long but hella amazing read.

You can listen to it too - there is a tiny audio button near the top of the story (if you are seeing it on Clarkesworld). The narrator is great and has a lovely voice. She also sounds quite a bit like the voice actor who voiced Simms, which is a nice bonus :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Who wrote it? Or was it a collaborative effort?
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline crizza

AFAIK Battuta himself.

Offline Darius

Going to lock this topic for a few days until the bots calm down.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:54:16 am by Darius »

Offline QuakeIV

• test
As a side note this appears to be a spam bot not a cryptic story fragment

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Persistent little subroutine, isn't it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Any plan to incorporate Nyctaeus' gorgeous new GVD Nehebkau?

You'd have to raise this project from the dead first.

Offline Darius

Any plan to incorporate Nyctaeus' gorgeous new GVD Nehebkau?

As many projects as possible should use the Nehebkau  :yes:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
The TEVs have shiny new destroyers, so the Zods should too 👍
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yes, I always welcome new targets. 
#proTev #killzods
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I am one of the silent Freespace content gourmets since the very beginning, I felt guilty enough and finally took up my duty to tell the creators how great they are.
It is kind of cheap to just be a consuming phantom.. well the great majority of the players seems to be.

I can only second what so many said. The best story, no actually the best overall sci fi experience on PC. Everything just clicks, story, music, innovative mission design, cool models.

Thanks to the last few posts I figured out that Battuta is responsible for the story and is even a publishing author by now. I will get his Baru Cormorant books, he seems on a good way to be the next George R. R. Martin... his stuff is just really well thought through.

I am replaying War in Heaven at the moment, but cannot wait to try Solaris next. I finally got a great gamepad with adjustable length sticks... now Freespace plays almost as well as in the 90s with long boeder thumb joysticks.

War in Heaven is not just Battuta though, esp. Darius but also Dilmah and The E (and probably a few others, sorry!) worked on the story.

That being said, the Baru Cormerant books are some of the best fiction I've read, period, so I highly recommend them to everyone.

Had a dream the new campaign had a mission where the tevs had a new supergiant elint carrier that was so powerful it could shut down any assets that could get near it. After the war it would break the back of earth by turning that same broadcasting on earth's electronics, making sure the only thing anyone could see or hear was tev propaganda. Your job was to rescue paralyzed units before the tev mopup teams blew them up, doing a new kind of "assemble a strike package" (of course you can't save all of them and have to hear their panicked screams as the hunters get closer). Eventually NAGARI says "well akshually..." and pulls you out.

The next mission briefing tells you that the gestalt fedayeen person was gonna exfiltrate to the colonies to do the Bosch thing and start a third Shivan incursion to force the tevs to pull their assets out. Your exfiltration was accomplished by ambushing a tev hospital ship, killing everyone on board and passing through the gate disguised as wounded soldiers returning home. Lots of moral agonizing but Laporte ultimately decided she could live with it. Was an ironic echo of the first WiH mission where you defend a civilian convoy.

Then I woke up.