Author Topic: Voice acting in War in Heaven 2?  (Read 8895 times)

Re: Voice acting in War in Heaven 2?
Just finished the first two parts of the mod as well. Just amazing. If anyone is concerting an effort for this, I would be willing to help. No computer skills but I could do VA or coordinating / recruiting people. I know the original creators got busy, but this project is just too good to let go unfinished.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Generating the script is actually fairly easy (there's even a few comfort functions built into FRED that make it easier), it's adding all the extra information (like intonation, context info) that voice actors need that takes some time and can become challenging.

Have you guys considered doing this as you go for acts four and five, or will they suffer the same fate? (As I assume the dialogue for Act 4 is all but done already)

Unfortunately dialogue is one of the last things to be locked.

And I believe it sometimes needs some rewrite to flow more naturally when lines are actually spoken.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
If all else fails, it's always something that can be added after the full WiH campaign is finished. Which would also be the best time to rewrite any dialogue.

Offline Snarks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the google docs seem to only contain the script for Acts 1 and 2. Does anyone know how to access the script for Act 3 via FRED? I've no FREDing experience, so even a pointer to where I would be able to open the correct files would be handy. Seems like the first step would be to extract all the lines onto a format like Google Docs then some preliminary mark-ups to organize them.

It is, at this point, extremely unlikely. Purely in terms of actual amount of lines, WiH Act 3 rivals some commercial games; there are a lot of speaking roles and a lot of lines for them. Getting WiH recorded was a nightmare and took years, Act 3 would not be any different.

Considering how well-developed the BP is, we've got a solid MVP here for a pitch. We need to 1) find someone with industry connections who can 2) get this in the hands of someone to make a pitch to Interplay to look at putting out FS3 based on the BP plot.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the google docs seem to only contain the script for Acts 1 and 2. Does anyone know how to access the script for Act 3 via FRED? I've no FREDing experience, so even a pointer to where I would be able to open the correct files would be handy. Seems like the first step would be to extract all the lines onto a format like Google Docs then some preliminary mark-ups to organize them.

It all starts with using FRED's Voice Acting Manager to export scripts. Then you gotta be sure you have every line assigned to the correct role, and a consistent format used for filenames.

I don't think the BP team would be too eager to sell the rights to BP to Interplay.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not to mention the fact that, as far as anyone knows, Interplay no longer owns the rights to Freespace, and at this point, nobody has publicly stated who does actually own them.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline X3r0

I'm glad my OP got so much thought going into this!

Personally, I'd be more than willing to help with any kind of voice acting. I have an amateur quality mic and DAW recording interface plus software. I don't have experience with FRED or of the like, but I am in software development professionally (albeit new) and would be willing to devote time!

Offline eicca

Just finished act 2 again tonight. What an experience. I ultimately had more fun living this story than Halo, to be honest. Incredible.

I really hope to see this whole project finished someday. Playing it all the way to the end, including voice acting, is top of my video-game-dream list. Heck, if the rights to Freespace are ever up for sale, this could very feasibly be packaged into a standalone and released as Freespace 3 (minus a few alterations to Age of Aquarius that would fill some MAJOR plot holes...)

I'd love to help voice act in any way I can.