Author Topic: [SOLVED] Is the original game still needed for mod using MediaVPs_2014?  (Read 1087 times)

[SOLVED] Is the original game still needed for mod using MediaVPs_2014?
Hi friends,

first I want to say a big thank you for your efforts updating and creating this fantastic mod. Truly amazing!

My question now is (of course, I could test it here, but this topic is about the intentions) if it is intended to run the released mods using MediaVPs_2014 (as used here) without the original game, e.g. from gog.com?

Freespace Blue could be downloaded as single mod put into the main folder together with the MediaVPs_2014 folder using the mod.ini of the respective mods. Therefore, it may be possible to play these mods without the original game, right?

Looking forward to your comments.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:15:46 am by praseodym »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Is the original game still needed for mod using MediaVPs_2014?
I understand that will never be the intent.  i.e. playing the retail Freespace 2 campaign with updated models, effects, music, etc from the mediavps will always require purchasing the original game.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes. The mediaVPs are explicitly built in such a way that they cannot be used to play the game without having the base game installed.

Now, we do plan to release a version of BP that is standalone, that is, one that does not require an existing FS2 install, but fs2blue will explicitly not be part of it, and we will take measures to ensure that the retail campaign will not be playable on it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hi The_ E,

thanks for explaining. Now its clear.