Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO  (Read 43041 times)

Re: BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO
Hm -- I completely missed those WC3 demo missions.  It should not take long to port those over to the knossos version as well.  Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. :)

If you wish to restore more WCS-stuff:
The Prologue Release from 2008 contains training missions which weren't adapted for WCS final:
https://wcsaga.com/index.php/rs-downloads/download.html?path=archived%252Fprologue_setup.exe

These were updated by Talon_1024 for version 3.6.12:
www.ciinet.org/kevin/3612mod.7z

He also wrote this Convoy Intercept mission and Arena Tribute:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wc1remake/_dfiles/Capships.zip
www.ciinet.org/kevin/wc1remake/_dfiles/Convoy%20Intercept.zip

Aginor wrote a training mission, which is also included in "WCS Plus":
https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/assm-aginors-saga-simulator-mission.26182/#post-377359

X3N0-Life-Form made some interesting modifications for WCS:
https://wcsaga.com/index.php/forum-sp-468/22-mods/8594-release-various-modifications.html

Then there's is this asset release of the on-hold "Hostile Frontier":
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77631.0

Perhabs "Hostile Frontier" could be upgraded with these assets:
https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/wing-commander-saga-klavs-ship-pack.28782/

I'm not sure whether or not I still have any stuff from "Enigma 2666", but I could have a look in the coming days.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:07:45 pm by FekLeyrTarg »
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Hm, using Ubuntu 16.04 I dont see a HUD?! Both with 3.7.4 and 3.8.0. Ideas?

Note: I renamed all files to non-capitals

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I'd suggest posting in the cross platform development thread about that -- I'm a Windows user.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline SL1

Is there any way to get a Diaspora-style LCOS gunsight (AKA "lead sight" in FSO terms) working for this? I have a mod I use to have that sight for other campaigns, but my attempts to get it working with this mod just resulted in a screwed-up HUD.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Since Saga has a different HUD for every ship your LCOS mod would not work "out of the box" - It would be necessary to review how it works and then map it to each specific entry in Saga's hud_gauges table.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline SL1

Since Saga has a different HUD for every ship your LCOS mod would not work "out of the box" - It would be necessary to review how it works and then map it to each specific entry in Saga's hud_gauges table.

I don't know much about modding Freespace, but I'm guessing that would be a very tedious process that someone wouldn't want to go through just for one guy. If you could point me to somewhere I might learn how to do it myself, though, I'd appreciate that.

If you'd like to take a look at it, you can get it here. Axem was kind enough to put it together for me when I asked about including it in his HUD mod. It doesn't appear to be very complicated - just a graphic for the sight itself and some parameters for the HUD gauge - but I realize it's probably more complex than that.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I think you'd have to actually replace the saga hud_gauges with a custom one that removes the entry for "      +Lead Indicator:" and adds in the entry Axem made for +Lead Sight: you see in the little tbm attached in there for every ship.  I don't think you can override and remove a gauge entry with a tbm.  It would have to be done for every ship because every flyable ship in saga has its own set of table entries.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hm, using Ubuntu 16.04 I dont see a HUD?! Both with 3.7.4 and 3.8.0. Ideas?

Note: I renamed all files to non-capitals

I just tried the Knossos release with Ubuntu 18.04/Mint 19 and the HUD appeared fine in the mission I started? Do you have a fs2open.log?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Log attached. THX for reading

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
uh... you seem to be missing the hermes_core.vp?!? But if that's the case how is anything working... maybe because you also have a lot of loose files in the base directory that I'd not expect to see?

Code: [Select]
Searching root '/home/oliver/Freespace2/Wing Commander Saga/' ... 133 files

Also you seem to be running this as a mod not a Total Conversion, so the Freespace2 retail files might be interfering. I'd recommend moving your "Wing Commander Saga" to a different location (i.e. not inside Freespace2) and running it like a TC. i.e. if you're using wxLauncher set the new location as the game base location.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ok, copied it as TC, installed hermes_core.vp. Now it crashes. Log attached

Disable 3D Shockwaves or FrameBuffer Shockwaves.

Or use 3.8.0.
3.7.4. is 2 years old at this point and is lacking features and bugfixes that this conversion needs.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline SL1

Well, I've been able to make the sight appear, but it doesn't move. It just stays in the lower right corner of the HUD.

Not sure what's causing that.

Is anyone having issues with laying mines on the ALCOR 1 Mission? Where you have to mine the four jump points. The furthest I've gotten is the second jump node, but most of the time on the first it doesn't register on the task tab on the left that I've done so. Laid every line I have in the center, around it, etc, not working.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:23:13 am by kylekatarn77 »

Offline SL1

Finally got my LCOS working. Turns out that I needed to remove $Required Aspect from the tbm. So I learned something about modding.

I'm thinking of giving FREDding a try, but I'm not quite sure how to learn the autopilot feature. The standalone version of WCS comes with an autopilot template mission, but I'm not sure if that's just intended as a tutorial or if it's supposed to serve as a base from which to create any kind of mission with autopiloting. That might be kind of irrelevant, though, because I'm not sure the template mission works with the FSO version of WCS. When I try to open the template in FRED, I get an error message about an unrecognized operator in the AutoNav Initialize event. FRED says the error appears to be lock-controls, which I'm guessing is related to how this version of WCS does takeoffs and landings automatically. I don't know how big a deal that is. In any case, I think it would be helpful if there were a tutorial on how to set up an autopilot-ready mission from scratch. I can imagine it getting very tedious to have to remove irrelevant parts from the template every single time you want to make a mission.

Finally, a question about WCS for FSO itself: Is it intentional for the game to automatically deactivate the Auto Target feature whenever Strakhas cloak themselves? If so, I'd prefer if that were changed. It doesn't really add any additional challenge or anything, it's just annoying to have to constantly reactivate it. It would also be nice to bring back the system that makes the HUD flash blue when you're only taking shield damage, and flash red when you're taking hull damage.

Offline Admiral Nelson

Finally got my LCOS working. Turns out that I needed to remove $Required Aspect from the tbm. So I learned something about modding.

I'm thinking of giving FREDding a try, but I'm not quite sure how to learn the autopilot feature. The standalone version of WCS comes with an autopilot template mission, but I'm not sure if that's just intended as a tutorial or if it's supposed to serve as a base from which to create any kind of mission with autopiloting. That might be kind of irrelevant, though, because I'm not sure the template mission works with the FSO version of WCS. When I try to open the template in FRED, I get an error message about an unrecognized operator in the AutoNav Initialize event. FRED says the error appears to be lock-controls, which I'm guessing is related to how this version of WCS does takeoffs and landings automatically. I don't know how big a deal that is. In any case, I think it would be helpful if there were a tutorial on how to set up an autopilot-ready mission from scratch. I can imagine it getting very tedious to have to remove irrelevant parts from the template every single time you want to make a mission.

I don't have that template handy, but it would need to be ported to standard FSO.  lock-controls is a custom sexp added by the original saga team in their branch and so will not work here.  If you post the mission I can fix it.

Finally, a question about WCS for FSO itself: Is it intentional for the game to automatically deactivate the Auto Target feature whenever Strakhas cloak themselves? If so, I'd prefer if that were changed. It doesn't really add any additional challenge or anything, it's just annoying to have to constantly reactivate it.

It is not intentional.  You have found a code bug!  I have created an issue for this one.  A coder will need to fix this issue to stop this behavior.

It would also be nice to bring back the system that makes the HUD flash blue when you're only taking shield damage, and flash red when you're taking hull damage.

I missed turning this feature on.  I will publish a patch to address it.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I don't have that template handy, but it would need to be ported to standard FSO.  lock-controls is a custom sexp added by the original saga team in their branch and so will not work here.  If you post the mission I can fix it.
Here it is.

[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Admiral Nelson

Is anyone having issues with laying mines on the ALCOR 1 Mission? Where you have to mine the four jump points. The furthest I've gotten is the second jump node, but most of the time on the first it doesn't register on the task tab on the left that I've done so. Laid every line I have in the center, around it, etc, not working.

Sorry I missed this question.  All you have to do is drop 4 mines anywhere in the first part.  There is no check about where you drop them, the mission only checks the count of your mines.

Tried, still not working. I even turned cheats on to try placing dozens of mines everywhere, still not working