Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > FreeSpace Conversion

FreeSpace Green

<< < (3/10) > >>

EatThePath:

--- Quote from: Darius on October 15, 2022, 08:33:34 am ---That looks great  :yes:

I particularly like the velocity vector and gun chase indicator (and now have a hankering for someone to remaster and rebalance the FS2 campaign for glide and strafe)

--- End quote ---

Yeah I'm definitely going to see about porting those over to warmachine in some form

AstralStorm:
Concept is pretty cool, especially the new flght.

Some sort of AI change makes the game at least 3 steps harder when dogfighting Shivans even if you fly right.
That on its own is not terrible, however I would not expect a Scorpion to be able to outfly a Valkyrie with boosted engines, but it does because it now slides and is almost just as fast.
Basilisks are deadlier than in Blue Planet where they showcased their alleged full power...
Are all Shivans now boosting their shields plus engines and redirecting power much better as well? Takes quite a while longer to shoot them down. This essentially ruins the balance of some missions, and makes the difficulty slider almost worthless.
(With easy reaching difficulty of hard in retail.)

Their bombers instead are collide-suicidal even more than usual. Friendlies also love to collide into enemies and you, especially when they're flying Apollo and Athena which are wide.
While this only shows up in particular mission, when it does it's pretty bad. Certain missions are on the edge of busted even on Very Easy. Not entirely sure what causes all of it besides what I mentioned.

For gliding, it could use an arrow indicator with size of velocity vector in vertical or horizontal.
The side and reverse thrusters are very wimpy in comparison with forward one on many ships causes some problems with gliding, in particular trying to correct or prevent an accidental orbit or mis.
The travel direction indicator is cool when it is visible, but it is not when you're flying reverse - which you would do in a dogfight when gliding.

Cockpits look great and do not hinder too much even without head tracking. (Joystick or mouse freelook, padlock etc. help in any case.)

Zoom script needs to be placed in settings - kind of hard to use with joystick otherwise - but regardless it's not *that* useful when AI just gets on you within 100 units anyway when they do want a dogfight.

Iain Baker:
Glad I’m not the only one that noticed it was quite a bit harder. I thought I was just getting rusty in my old age 😜

I had a thought of how the ‘can’t see backwards when using cockpit mods’ problem could be fixed: a Picture-in-Picture rear view feed in the cockpit, emulating what a rear-facing camera would see.

This could be even more useful than being able to look backwards since you could see what is going on behind while still looking forwards.

I don’t know if FS is capable of this of course. A potential problem might be performance impact - I have noticed in some FPS games with PiP scopes that the frame rate drops by about 50% when using the scope. If this were to become a problem, then perhaps make this a toggalable feature in-mission via a key press, so you only have it displayed when you need it (I imagine most players would be ok with their FPS dropping from 60 to 30 if it was only for a few seconds at a time and they could control when this was.)

Either way, keep up the good work 👍

SerialMascot:
Nomad:

If the "problem" is not having full yaw in head tracking, the "solution" is just changing that in the FSO engine. I can't promise it would work, or will happen soon, but I know where it fits in the code.

I do have a workaround solution for you though, albeit a clunky one:
If I understand what you said before, you can currently use your pov hat on your stick to yaw more than 360 degrees. Not being able to de this with Headtracking is a deal breaker for you. I think you'd change your mind and forget about the full twisting if you understood the point of having both rotation AND translation with 6-dof.
Once you have your TrackIr 's battery problem solved you'll see this. Or you could watch some of the videos.
BUT! If you absolutely positively must have 360 degrees of yaw with your trackIR device. I can talk you through 3 different apps that can turn the trackIR output into joystick input. But first I will force you to listen to me rant about how the limited yaw is a design choice within FSO, and how I know this.
I'm coming up with solutions for a problem that doesn't need to be solved really. The game was designed with a certain "viewing angle" in mind for the camera/the ships. Right now if you look all the way back in the cockpits you'll just be looking at/ clipping into the seat / the hull. It will still be useful in the generic cockpit though. Or with no cockpit rendered. (toggle button coming soon)

Just try it with 6-dof. Please.

SerialMascot:
Regarding Difficulty
There was one update that was much closer to BtA difficulty, which was indeed way to hard, and I also got my ass kicked. This might be what you are playing. A lot of it is about making the difficulty slider do what the player expects it to. The next update will be much more reasonable, and will have all the Shivan and Vasudan fighters/bombers with updated physics and behavior. This mean a lot of things, but in the end, its less deadly than what you have now, but with much more interesting opponents and fights. Check the top post here after you see the version change on the FS1 Flight Dependency.

I've also ported some missions to play better with the modern flying. Still unsure how they will be shared. If you are playing a classic mission, and you think you see something broken/boring/whatever, just post here. I take everybody's input pretty seriously. If you offer a clever solution , then I'm likely to fix it right away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version