Author Topic: little things bugging me  (Read 11884 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Is that Arcadia corrupted?  I lost mine earlier, but I wasn't sure if it was immediately before or immediately after I uploaded the zip.

Oh, and I've burnt through the Terran fighters.  I'm starting work on the bombers now, and truth be told, with the exception of the FS2 bombers, I may just kill off the glowmaps completely (as all those are doing is the lights themselves, no ambient glow off of them and quite frankly they look horrible).  The problem seems to be magnified on ships from Silent Threat; all of them have a million lights on their surface but no effects around them.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Arcadia's OK

If we want all of the glowpointed ships to look as good as the Herc, its gonna take some work, all of the glowmaps will have to be edited to have a faint glow on the ship to make it work

its a project...
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Yeah, I know.  The Ulysses was easy once I made sure the colors matched, as it basically already had the ambience that I was looking for.  Also, as I'm doing the blinking nav lights on everything but the Herc sucessors, they'd have to be excluded from the glowmapping.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Turambar

or have an animated glow, but i have no experience there
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Yeah, but I am sure that an animated glow would not be worth the massive memory requirements only to give an ambient glow to blinkers.  Most of the FS2 ships already have most of the steady ambient glow though, thanks to your and lightspeed's treatment.

Offline Turambar

don't forget DaBrain
i popped out for a long time, when i got Doom 3, and Half Life 2, and Battle for Middle Earth, i kinda fell behind them, but static glows, if you have any static lights, i'll make them ambient and cool looking in the dark

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Bah. Ambient glow points are the easiest thing to do. Just duplicate the lights layer in PS, and apply a gaussian blur.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Of course, DaBrain.  He and you have such similar profiles that I tend to get your posts confused.

Ok, cool :)  I'll send you the "completed" glowpoint jobs as they stand now, if you can take it from there.  I'm about halfway through, but I'll get you the other batch when I get done with them.

Offline Turambar

Well, i'll get crakin' on this, but first i have to go recharge

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That Uly looks MUCH better...
-C

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, I think we were a bit too excited about glowpoints before and never figured to do them subtly. This is a great improvement.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Actually we never did really get excited about glowmaps.  It took a) Bob doing another overhaul of the Herc and b) Turambar noticing that it looked good while the others looked like crap for anyone to even notice that something could be done.  It took me 2-3 hours to go through 60% of the Terran fighters and apply glowpoints to them, and that's including tool-related crashing and near-continuous in-game testing.  I had gone for subtility on the Arcadia anyway, which may in part be why no one ever got enthralled with the idea of doing it to everything.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:31:58 pm by 570 »

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Wow, nice work Turambar! :yes:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Stratcomm :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Nico, I should probably mention that I'm using your perseus as the base rather than the vanilla one.  I assume that's not a problem, but if it is let me know and I'll hold it out of what I send in for the MediaVP.

Offline Turambar

OK guys, as soon as im done with this yard-sale business, im gonna start workin on those glow textures, im gonna use the ones in ShineLT as bases and im gonna try to copy Bob's technique

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by StratComm
Nico, I should probably mention that I'm using your perseus as the base rather than the vanilla one.  I assume that's not a problem, but if it is let me know and I'll hold it out of what I send in for the MediaVP.

Ah, it's not like I have a problem with it, but I've just discovered something rather disturbing about the perseus: seems one of its lod suffers from the shards of death :doubt:
And I really can't explain how it is possible:
1) the lods are the ones from the original ship, unchanged
2)  shards should be impossible in HTL mode, no?
Well, to sum up, there's something wrong with that ship.
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'll still have the glowmaps updated, since the first LOD isn't changing.  I'll look at the LOD problem though, that sounds extremely odd for HTL.  Was it in D3D or OGL, as that seems to make a difference on some of these things.

Offline Nico

• Venom
OGL, since I want at least some specular :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'm not seeing it.  :confused:

Maybe PCS fixed it when I resaved?