Author Topic: little things bugging me  (Read 11881 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
maybe... have the pof so I can try?
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
yep, here you go.  It's glowpointed but it should just not render them if they aren't found.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 02:30:21 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What if the page is not found when you click the link? :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Myrmidon and Perseus done, starting on Herc 2

Edit: Herc 2 done

i really dont want to touch the erinyes... *cringes*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 11:52:38 am by 1794 »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I only glowpointed the Erinyes where the glows were already ok.  I don't think I added anything else besides blinkers.  Glad to know the others are moving along though.

And the link is my fault, for whatever reason the extension saved capitalized.  Try it again.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Turambar

Collage time!!!!

just to show you guys what ive been up to
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That was a good trio to start with :)  Looking fabulous.  For the models that I placed points over existing glows (like the Erinyes) remove the discrete glow but leave/enhance whatever surface lighting is in the glowmaps.  For the Erinyes, that should restrict you to about six points that actually get edited.  The Ares could use a good bit of work too, but that one's at your complete discretion.  I'm hoping to finish the bombers in a couple of hours, but the three that I've got left (Medusa, Ursa and Zeus) have a lot more points that need glows than any other ship I've already done barring the Loki.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Did you rework the glow maps?
The shading looks pretty intense.  (Way too intense IMHO)

The glowpoints look nice.

Only the green spot on the Herc II looks ugly.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Turambar

In most missions, the lighting makes it so you only really noticed the reworked glows some of the time, and its almost always enhancing.  If i make it softer, it wont show up.  and im gonna re-do the herc 2 anyways, but yeah, the side thing shouldnt have a glowpoint

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
While I like the effect, I think those ships all look like they're decorated for christmas. :doubt:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Turambar

can someone please send me a completed campaign pilot file, mine got fubar'd and i get bugs, so i cant play through the whole thing , and i need to have all the techroom ships

[email protected]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
There's a tester feature in the techroom in the latest builds; press ctrl-shift-s to enable all ships in the techroom.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I think we need a new user command - nav-lights on/off.
This should work a sexp too.

That way ships in close prox of each other / in tight formation / nebulae would have it switched on, while in a silent mission off.

Ideas/Cooments?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The sexp is already there ;)

I also am not glowpointing the Pegasus precisely because it is supposed to be stealth.  The massive glowy-ness of the maps defeat the purpose there, but I've still avoided it for precisely that reason.

Offline Turambar

done with the Ares, its not that noticeable because the Ares texture is so busy, but its there.  I also made the original Ares glowmap prettier

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The lights on most of those look decent, but the green ones on the side of the Herc 2 just look out of place and unnecessary. Makes it look far too Christmassy IMO.

Offline Gank

Originally posted by Raa
While I like the effect, I think those ships all look like they're decorated for christmas. :doubt:

What he said, maybe dim them down or something.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by StratComm
The sexp is already there ;)

I also am not glowpointing the Pegasus precisely because it is supposed to be stealth.  The massive glowy-ness of the maps defeat the purpose there, but I've still avoided it for precisely that reason.

AFAIK only the glow-maps can be toggled not the glowpoints.
Was the later implemented as well?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
From the FRED2_Open change->models and textures SEXP menu:

deactivate-glow-points
activate-glow-points
deactivate-glow-maps
activate-glow-maps

Glowpoints are actually older than glow maps, or at least very close, in terms of implimentation.  Both of those sexp pairs were done at the same time.

Okay, this stuff is beautiful, granted. I love it. But it also brings up a valid concern regarding your works here...

Are these glow points actually producing ambient lighting effects that shine on other ships that pass by these glowing ships...or are you just faking real ship-mounted lights by making glowpoints and correspondingly lit glowmaps/ship textures? I'm heavily suspecting the latter -- that these are not actually rendered by the 3D engine and the glow effect just done through clever texturing. If its actually rendered, it should cast little glows on another ship it flies low over.

As it stands right now, I've flown the original glowpointed Ulysses and even engines dont seem to illuminate any ships near it. If that is the case, all this work is all well and good and looks great...
...but is NOTHING compared to what we could have if REAL dynamic lighting from ships' glowpoints is implemented, right?
And if we get that later, well then all this hard work will have gone to waste, right?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 06:21:59 pm by 1644 »