Author Topic: 3.6.9 as official download?  (Read 5247 times)

3.6.9 as official download?
When will we get 3.6.9 as an official release?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: 3.6.9 as official download?
When it's done.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Oh, how suprising... ::)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Taristin wasn't being sarcastic even though it probably sounded like that.

We're currently in the process of trying to fix every bug we can possibly fix in the program. It's pretty hard to put a timetable on that sort of thing because without a dedicated playtesting and bug reporting team we can only fix them as we hear about them. The last internal release date was late June. We've fixed easily over 50 bugs since then including some real stinkers.

So in lieu of any sensible timetable the only response that can be given is "We'll release it when it's done."
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I´m looking forward to it!  :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Any possibility of a 3.6.9 RC8 getting released any time soon?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I'm still working on a bunch of fixes, so not until those are ready at the least.  Maybe sometime the end of next week.  For now just use my gamma build, since it's actually old now and all of the "test" things (except for the Theora player code) in it have since been fully tested and added to CVS.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
When will we get 3.6.9 as an official release?

A release in itself is worth no more or less than a CVS build. The amount of publicity and the perception of it are what's important. Every release is an opportunity for fs2_open to get a news post on slashdot or any other gaming/technology site. Of course, if the release is buggy and/or hard to get installed and running, that will be how everyone will remember it.
-C

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Like 3.6.7  :p

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
3.6.7 was actually the most stable since 3.5.5 actually. Unless you have a dual-core CPU there are no huge bugs in it that everyone or almost everyone bumps into. That certainly wasn't the case with the two releases before it.

Offline bfobar

I'm still working on a bunch of fixes, so not until those are ready at the least.  Maybe sometime the end of next week.  For now just use my gamma build, since it's actually old now and all of the "test" things (except for the Theora player code) in it have since been fully tested and added to CVS.

Do you coders use a dev blog or anything? I may be alone, but I think it would be fascinating.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
3.6.7 was actually the most stable since 3.5.5 actually. Unless you have a dual-core CPU there are no huge bugs in it that everyone or almost everyone bumps into. That certainly wasn't the case with the two releases before it.

No, 3.6.7 had quite a few serious issues from what I remember, many of them involving CTDs of some sort. Interestingly, the 9/17 CVS build just one day older than it had none of these problems and was my build of choice for a long time. I think the 3.6.7 link on the SCP site should be replaced with 3.6.9 RC7 or something, to hold over until the final one has been released, as I've been noticing a number of new posters here reporting problems and saying they're using that version.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What about that 3.6.9 RC7.7 build that you have up in one of your folders?  It even had a Launcher 5.5.  Is that like a RC7 with a few more bugfixes?  Remember... I am a Snoop Junkie.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
What about that 3.6.9 RC7.7 build that you have up in one of your folders?  It even had a Launcher 5.5.  Is that like a RC7 with a few more bugfixes?  Remember... I am a Snoop Junkie.
It's just an on-the-road-to-RC8 set of builds.  Nothing final, but nothing terribly special either.  Just a bunch of bug fixes really.  There will be a 7dot8 build tomorrow probably (depending on if I finally get the "branch" bug fix tested to my satisfaction).  The 7dot? builds are mainly for testing the multiplayer related changes though (trying to get the standalone server working again), since it's faster to hold up RC8 until we get fixed what we all already know is pretty broken. :)

PLEASE file any bugs that you see in the 7dot? series of builds NOW though, since otherwise they'll just be in RC8 too.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No, 3.6.7 had quite a few serious issues from what I remember, many of them involving CTDs of some sort.

Yeah but they all had that :) By most stable I mean it didn't have a reoccuring problem so large that from day one we were telling everyone to get CVS builds to fix them. While it was less stable for you that wasn't the general trend really.

Offline Mouse

Do you people have a "known Issues" list from the MediaVPs 3.6.8 Zeta part ?

Its the version I just got and I want to see if I should be telling you guys about stuff i cannot see ...
But easier for me to check than waste your time =)

Mouse
 -= Damn Ghost white Aoeles ships=-