Author Topic: Dev note on Flashy Deaths  (Read 2265 times)

Dev note on Flashy Deaths
To make it short: it's easily forgotten. One should remember that every campaign using custom ships (even just name changes in the table) will have inconsistencies in graphic appearance when forgetting to add custom cfg files for ships and weapons (beams/bombs). Affected are all campaigns using MVPs. Things handeled by the script and cfg are:
-Death flashes (ships)
-Addontional death roll explosions (ships)
-Bomb flashes (weapons)
-Blinding effects (both weapons and ships)

I encoutered this in several major releases (Exile, Scroll, some FSCRP); in fact the only campaigns having this for sure are BP and the upcoming INF release (probably others too). Even if you don't want to have any of these effects present, you still need to add the cfgs in order to remove them.

In order to fix this, atleast 2 files - mv_shp_exp_flashes.cfg and mv_wep_exp_flashes.cfg - must be present in "config"-folder. They must contain all ships and weapons to which the effects should be applied including the ones taken over from retail for the MVP file will be overwritten. Do NOT try to add another scripting tbm, that's going to break everything.

It's just a note, not a major thing, but something that apparently easily slips by, even most players, but not all...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:09:54 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Dev note on Flashy Deaths
Thanks for that info.

I was never sure, for what these files are for...

Actually these files are totally undocumented on the wiki and so i still do not know, what the values in the files do exactly and for what they are for.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

mv_exp_ani_flashes.cfg contains the filenames of the used effects. It should be noted that unlike tables, this file doesn't start with 0 as first entry, but 1.

mv_shp_exp_flashes.cfg defines
Code: [Select]
Name: Shipname
Detonation Radius Multiplier: Size of the addontinal death roll explosions (compared with the usual retail ones?)
Detonation Effects: Effects used, integer list
Detonation Multiplier: How many addontinal death roll explosions get created
Flash Radius Multiplier: Size of the death flash (compared with the ships radius?)
Flash Effect: Which effect is used for the death flash
Blinding Effect Intensity: How white the display becomes (similar to the sun glow)
Blinding Effect Duration: For how long this lasts
Blinding Effect Distance Multiplier: And the distance in which the display becomes brighter (compared with the ships radius?)

mv_wep_exp_flashes.cfg uses the same entries as above, except the "Detonation" stuff.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Could someone who understands this do a crude data dump to the wiki for now and then format it later?

It's better than nothing at all.  And perhaps someone will come by and polish it up in the meantime.