Author Topic: Insane spambots  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think we need to do something about these spambots. I can't log in to the wiki over the satellite connection up here at work for some reason (well, not strictly true - I can log in, but it logs me straight back out again), so I can't even sort them when I see them, leaving it to TopAce and Goober almost exclusively.

I think we need to halt registrations until we can get a better bot stopping system in place, preferably something that'll also stop the human "bots". I think we can probably afford to be quite a bit tighter with wiki registration than forum (after all, if someone can;t register tot he wiki who needs to, they can always ask on the forum), so something like a quick, very very basic freespace quiz (something like identifying the species of a number of ships) would probably do. But how we sort it isn't so much of a problem as sorting it, because it's gotten way OTT.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Veers

Is there anyway to tie the wiki account with a forum account or such?

Needing an active non-spam account here as valid proof or what not.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I don't know - we could conceivably set up a system wherein only those who post on an "Activate your account here" thread on the forums or something would get their wiki accounts approved, but that's extra work for Goober or whoever has the power to do that (I'm not sure that wiki admins do, since AFAIK we've never turned it on on our wiki.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
OMG

We've had LOTS of bots in the last couple hours. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Special:RecentChanges
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Time to stop discussing it. Shut down registration until we can sort it out a better system.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously.  Manual activation probably wouldn't be the most inconvenient thing in the world anyway...I mean, how many legitimate newbies out there are going to need to create a wiki account?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Not many. We had Hoot some time ago, and another user today (whom I accidentally banned in the bot-hunt frenzy.)

The number of bots outnumber the number of legitimate new user registrations by a large margin.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
K. "Log In" is still available, but "Create Account" no longer is.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
That's a good start, but how are accounts created now?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
That's currently under going a review for what MediaWiki has available to it.

We don't want to get swamped by having to run manual validation (like we did shortly for the forums) because that may not curb the amount of traffic.

Right now, if somebody -desperately- must have a Wiki login, I can probably create one directly on the DB back end.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Holy crap, that's a lot of spambots.

I've taken the liberty of mirroring Zacam's disabling of registration to both the LocalSettings.exportbegins.php and LocalSettings.exportends.php files, in addition to LocalSettings.php which he had modified.  I did this because I had to do the same thing several weeks ago with the videoflash plugin -- that was the only way I could think of to keep it from being repeatedly and mysteriously reverted.  We certainly don't need bots suddenly being allowed to register again without anybody realizing it.

EDIT: Also, TopAce gets the gold star for pouncing on those 39 new bots in just the past day.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:44:37 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've taken the liberty of mirroring Zacam's disabling of registration to both the LocalSettings.exportbegins.php and LocalSettings.exportends.php files, in addition to LocalSettings.php which he had modified.
Those are used to set the wiki into maintenance mode to backup both database and files. Any modifications to LocalSettings.php would end up replaced by LocalSettings.exportends.php.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Good to know.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Did this go anywhere? Shutting down account creation isn't a long term solution unfortunately.
Rarely Updated P3D.