Author Topic: Where did you go wiki sidebar?  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Where did you go wiki sidebar?
Ok, I think I know why. Gimme 2 mins.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Fixed.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What special functionality have we added to MW?

Aside from some security and anti-spam features, there is Black Wolf's random image feature and the video embedding feature.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Based on what I'm reading,.. Some security issues (which I'm sure we can resolve our current wiki if it's as popular as it seems to be) and 'integration with the site the forums' (maybe?)... I don't see any reason to move our massive set of content over to a whole new wiki...

What does EE give us that we want/need and cannot get on the current wiki? Because given where all of current content lies, it's EE that needs to prove itself to be useful, not MediaWiki.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Same here. Force-refresh does nothing.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Arpit

Same here. Nothing changes after refreshing many times. I am using Chrome. (just like Axem and others.)

Registration works perfectly fine for me on FF22.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I do have a desire to move as much as possible over to EE-based alternatives, primarily due to security reasons, Fury. EE has a superb security track record, and with recent events we've had, we could use secure software.
Wait, what? Unless there has been something admins haven't mentioned in public, there have been no security issues other than possibly neglecting updates to SMF, MW, Mantis, etc. And if you neglect updates to EE, you're in same boat again. The only saving grace in that situation is that EE is not so popular as to be targeted by newly discovered vulnerabilities like Joomla, Mambo, vBulletin, SMF, phpBB, MediaWiki, etc would be.

If you are referring to spammers. I don't think there's anything so unique in EE that would make it better against spammers than SMF and MW do. And I'm including modifications here. Out of the box EE might be better, I don't know.

If you are referring to DDoS, then EE wouldn't help any there either because before the traffic even hits a web application, it hits server's net stack, iptables and apache first.

Though I have to admit that if I were to pick a forums software right now, SMF wouldn't be my first choice. It's mod system is flawed for editing source files. MyBB does it right. Pretty much same difference as MediaWiki's stupid ass template system.

Integration is another reason, where forum posts, Wiki articles, and site content would all be able to intermingle (trying to avoid getting technical here...).
The problem here is though, that afaik EE does not have dedicated developer resources to develop each individual aspect of EE like forums and wiki into something that can directly compete with MediaWiki and SMF for example. Prime example of this is that EE's forum does not support multiple usergroups per user account. So you have to give up plenty of features to get that level of integration. Not something I would readily give up on. Especially when I'm not even convinced HLP needs CMS in the first place.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Aside from some security and anti-spam features, there is Black Wolf's random image feature and the video embedding feature.

Security and anti-spam features are built in to EE, and can be enhanced by add-ons as needed (member accounts are shared between the mainpage and the wiki).

Those other two features... I don't think the EE wiki does. Strike one.

Based on what I'm reading,.. Some security issues (which I'm sure we can resolve our current wiki if it's as popular as it seems to be) and 'integration with the site the forums' (maybe?)... I don't see any reason to move our massive set of content over to a whole new wiki...

Security issues have taken this site down for days, as well as lost days worth of posts. The last I'm aware of, we still haven't figured out the vector of attack used to breach the server.

What does EE give us that we want/need and cannot get on the current wiki? Because given where all of current content lies, it's EE that needs to prove itself to be useful, not MediaWiki.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: that's why I posted this - to get your help in evaluating the EE Wiki's suitability for replacing MediaWiki. :)

Still borked for me. :(

Same here. Force-refresh does nothing.

Same here. Nothing changes after refreshing many times. I am using Chrome. (just like Axem and others.)

Gah... I hate browser caching. Ok, try this... those of you using Chrome, go to the member registration page, hit F12 to bring up the Developer Tools, then right-click the Refresh button and choose "Empty Cache and Hard Reload". Lemme know if that works for you... I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing to this post, for reference.

Wait, what? Unless there has been something admins haven't mentioned in public, there have been no security issues other than possibly neglecting updates to SMF, MW, Mantis, etc. And if you neglect updates to EE, you're in same boat again. The only saving grace in that situation is that EE is not so popular as to be targeted by newly discovered vulnerabilities like Joomla, Mambo, vBulletin, SMF, phpBB, MediaWiki, etc would be.

As I stated above, we don't yet know how the server was breached. We found malignant PHP code injected into a number of files around the server.

Also, EE's saving grace is not that it's not popular - not at all. It is, as a matter of fact, the most popular commercial CMS on the market. For example, Obama used EE for his original presidential campaign website (change.gov, I think it was?). A List Apart, a leading site for web developer resources and articles, uses EE. iLounge, Penny Arcade, HelpSpot, Paula Deen, MacObserver, and Campaign Monitor all use EE.

All that to say, it's plenty popular, and it is targeted by spammers, hackers, etc. EE's security track record doesn't come from obscurity, but from there being a team of people being paid to develop and maintain it. That's their job, their livelihood, and that's where EE's security record comes from.

If you are referring to spammers. I don't think there's anything so unique in EE that would make it better against spammers than SMF and MW do. And I'm including modifications here. Out of the box EE might be better, I don't know.

I can't speak to SMF & MW's anti-spam measures, but I can for the ones available to EE (out of the box it's so-so), and they're superb. For the record, the CAPTCHA being used now is the out-of-the-box one. There are far better methods available.

If you are referring to DDoS, then EE wouldn't help any there either because before the traffic even hits a web application, it hits server's net stack, iptables and apache first.

Wasn't a DDOS attack, nope.

Though I have to admit that if I were to pick a forums software right now, SMF wouldn't be my first choice. It's mod system is flawed for editing source files. MyBB does it right. Pretty much same difference as MediaWiki's stupid ass template system.

SMF is powerful, but you're right, I don't like having to edit PHP files to mod things. I'm unfamiliar with MyBB. Also, I'm not pushing EE's forum here, just to be clear. It doesn't suit HLP's needs.

The problem here is though, that afaik EE does not have dedicated developer resources to develop each individual aspect of EE like forums and wiki into something that can directly compete with MediaWiki and SMF for example. Prime example of this is that EE's forum does not support multiple usergroups per user account. So you have to give up plenty of features to get that level of integration. Not something I would readily give up on. Especially when I'm not even convinced HLP needs CMS in the first place.

I'm not sure what you mean by EE not having dedicated developer resources (there's EllisLab's official Add-On Development documentation; Official Community forums; Devot-ee add-on library; EE StackExchange site). The only area we make use of multiple membergroups per member is, AFAIK, the forums, which is precisely the area I'm not suggesting we consider replacing with EE equivalents.

And we all know you're not convinced HLP needs a CMS. Doesn't change the fact that our frontpage sucks, and we can do so much better at welcoming new members than what it has. So yes, we need a CMS.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:24:14 pm by Sandwich »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Are we still talking about the rogue sidebar? I tried to find a registration page on the Wiki but all I found was the Login page, so I hit F12 there and selected "Empty Cache and Hard Reload" after right-clicking the refresh button. No dice.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Have you considered upgrading MediaWiki, if it's causing this much fuss? You're currently at 1.15, the latest stable release is 1.21.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing to this post, for reference.

o rly

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing to this post, for reference.

o rly

...oops?

Err, I mean, what? It's there! :nervous:

Are we still talking about the rogue sidebar? I tried to find a registration page on the Wiki but all I found was the Login page, so I hit F12 there and selected "Empty Cache and Hard Reload" after right-clicking the refresh button. No dice.

The refresh thing was in reference to the EE Wiki I linked to a few posts ago.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If you register for the wiki, please post here to let me know. I'm trying various forms of member registration spam prevention these days, and sometimes it's hard to tell the real members from the spam ones. Specifically, have any of you registered as "earinxw" or "amosrm"?

[...] have any of you registered as "earinxw" or "amosrm"?
With a name like that you're just asking for a spambot ban :lol:

I'm "downwash", for the record.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Registered as myself without the Exeunt. Hopefully, Dragon's AutoComplete won't mess up my forum login; it automatically input my forum login details when I went to the Wiki's login page.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've implemented reCAPTCHA and Akismet anti-spam measures since we were getting a couple of spam registrations per week. If anyone encounters issues, let me know. Fury, FYI, these measures are merely some of the free methods available. The cream of the crop costs $14 bucks, so I'm waiting to see if it's needed. :)

Also, thoughts on the EE wiki?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just wanted to flag the fact that the sidebar is still misplaced (Chrome, Windows 7).

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just wanted to flag the fact that the sidebar is still misplaced (Chrome, Windows 7).

Yep. I honestly have no clue why. I can't quite figure out the odd CSS that MediaWiki uses. At this point, I'd say we should upgrade to the latest release and see what that does.