Author Topic: Viper Simulator  (Read 6568 times)

Offline newman

You can padlock views, we have a key command for that. It works great with cockpits on, but you may find it a bit confusing with just the HUD, because there's no cockpit to provide visual reference to where you're flying and where you're looking at in relation to that. This is where the disadvantage of having your view partly obstructed by the cockpit turns into an advantage. I find this plus the immersion value of the cockpit to far outweigh any other considerations. And using it with trackIR is even better :)

The problem with turning them off is multi. You get a craft that feels totally different without the cockpit, and you have a fully unobstructed view. I'm not sure if it's possible to keep them locked for multi but enable toggling them on or off for sp. But I urge everyone to try the full game once released before deciding you want to be able to turn it off :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You think such a minute detail will have any significant influence on multi ? Why not try to enforce screen resolution, FoV or HUD color, while you're at it ?

There's a point where you just can't consider that every change is balance-breaking.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline newman

Having one player have a totally unobstructed field of view and another player have more than half of it obstructed by a cockpit? Yes, I'd say that will have an impact on multi. I would suggest toning down the sarcasm until such time you've had a chance to try it and can speak from experience. No backseat dev, please.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You could say the same for someone playing with a 800x600 resolution compared to someone on a 1080p screen. Or someone on a 15i screen compared to someone on a 22i. Or someone running on a low-end hardware with 10fps compared to someone running at full 60fps. Or someone having a 500ms ping compared to the host. Or someone changing the FoV through command line to better suit his tastes. Or someone playing with low-lighting settings. The list can go on forever.

How do you draw the line between what you consider balance-breaking, what you can't realistically enforce to all your players, and what's merely relative to the player's taste ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline newman

Apples and oranges. We can't control which res or with what ping will a player play. We can control whether the cockpits will be on or off, though. I'm honestly not sure if we even have the final decision on this. I'm just saying what the general idea was before. Not sure if there's code support for a "toggle cockpit on or off" keypress, but if there's high enough demand for that, it might get coded in as an update at some point. Till then, if you absolutely hate the idea of playing with a cockpit, you can always grab ships.tbl, copy it over to a mod folder, and set the cockpits off from there. It's a hack but it's not like anything is hardcoded in.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Apples and oranges. We can't control which res or with what ping will a player play. We can control whether the cockpits will be on or off, though. I'm honestly not sure if we even have the final decision on this. I'm just saying what the general idea was before. Not sure if there's code support for a "toggle cockpit on or off" keypress, but if there's high enough demand for that, it might get coded in as an update at some point. Till then, if you absolutely hate the idea of playing with a cockpit, you can always grab ships.tbl, copy it over to a mod folder, and set the cockpits off from there. It's a hack but it's not like anything is hardcoded in.

Or just use an external view. :) Harder to aim, but guaranteed lack of cockpit obstruction.