Author Topic: FRED Background Question  (Read 2237 times)

FRED Background Question
Hey all,

Hopefully it's ok to ask the question in this forum...

In FRED (the one with TBP), I can't see any Planets or Nebula. If "Show Background" is ticked on, only suns and stars show up.

In-game, everything shows up where it's supposed to, but since I can't see what I'm placing where in FRED, it's all a bit of a mess.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
this problem appears to be common with the current builds of FRED. Try using an older build if possible.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Thanks for the reply, where can I get an older build from?

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
For backgrounds, your best bet would be this  build. Don't use it for much else though, as it has some stability issues.

Also, missions made with the current FRED2_Open won't work in this build, so you'll have to copy the background info via notepad to another mission and then open that one with this. Once you're done, simply copy the edited backgrounds to your original mission.

Hope that helps :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
And
:welcome:
Spellfire
:)
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
FRED2_open is just one bugged chunk of code. No build works perfectly. Fortunately the SCP team has finally acknowledged the issue and is working on a good fred2_open.

I hope.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Singh is giving good advice here.

Just to make things even more difficult you'll find that the older builds of FRED won't give you access to the full list of nebs. That's okay. Just use the old build for positioning and change the nebs to the ones you wan tin the new build.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.