Author Topic: Alien Swarm free on Monday  (Read 20028 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Alien Swarm free on Monday
I've downloaded it, but not really got time to try it tonight, I'll give it a go tomorrow :)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
This last game I was in:

Level: Residential Area (I forget the name, first biomass level)
Team: Myself (soldier), Tech, Heavy, & Medic.

The medic was using the pump-action shotgun.  :wtf:
The medic wouldn't heal.  :wtf:
The medic did more DPS to me than the laggy swarms did.  :wtf:

:wtf:

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i did the offline thing.  it was alright, but nothing to write home about so far.  if online isn't significantly better, i'll probably uninstall.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Online is much better, though you need at least two people to play and you need four people to play to have four characters in-game, there are no online NPCs.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mxlm

There are online NPCs, but by default they're only enabled when a player drops mid-mission.

Made it through on hard--you do need a competent group for that--then tried insanity. It's, um, insane. Maybe three good hits from the melee critters will kill you. Parasites on the first level. Flyers everywhere. Artillery on the cargo elevator. Not enough ammo. Not enough healing. Not enough anything. Horrible, horrible death.

Oh, the parasites. Far too deadly. Infestation is the only thing in this game that actively annoys me. Well, sometimes it annoys me.

The game? Awesome. The mod tools? Apparently awesome.

It has a l4d director, only the sadistic bastard is disabled by default. asw_horde_override 1 boys and girls. Not that I've tried it yet. Apparently there are a bunch of related commands under asw_horde that tweak the director, so have fun.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Online is much better, though you need at least two people to play and you need four people to play to have four characters in-game, there are no online NPCs.

The only thing at which the players truly excel and the AI doesn't is probably shieldbugs.

I can't confirm that of course since I GOT BOOTED FROM THE ONLY GAME I COULD CONNECT TO BY MY FELLOW HLPERS.

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: Actually, I can confirm that. And players can have serious problems with squad cohesion the AI doesn't.

On the other hand, players also have cooler toys then the AI ever will. :P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:39:53 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Oh, the parasites. Far too deadly. Infestation is the only thing in this game that actively annoys me. Well, sometimes it annoys me.

Once you reach a certain level, you get electric armor.  It has three charges that last for aprox. 10 seconds (I think), and completely prevents infection.  Not very useful, except on the last level.

--

The only thing at which the players truly excel and the AI doesn't is probably shieldbugs.

I can't confirm that of course since I GOT BOOTED FROM THE ONLY GAME I COULD CONNECT TO BY [one of] MY FELLOW HLPERS.

Fixed.  :P

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Once you reach a certain level, you get electric armor.  It has three charges that last for aprox. 10 seconds (I think), and completely prevents infection.  Not very useful, except on the last level.

That'd be a godsend doing Residential on insane.

A Feddie Story

I was gotta get it, and then it said I needed steam.

I don't want steam.

I just don't.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I don't want steam.

I just don't.

Dude, it's free. You have nothing to lose.

Plus, Steam is the #1 way to get PC games for ridiculously low prices.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

I don't want steam.

I just don't.

Dude, it's free. You have nothing to lose.

Plus, Steam is the #1 way to get PC games for ridiculously low prices.

And I'm beginning to wonder just how much of the steam stigma is hyperbole and bull****, I have nothing but good things to say for steam, including that their technical support is awesome and I will punch anyone who suggests otherwise (They were amazingly prompt in helping me get my account back when it was hacked christmas night, around 2 years ago now. I was playing my games off of it by the 28th). The only downer is that maintenance can occur at the most annoying times, but that really is my only niggle.

Anyways, Alien Swarm is bloody awesome, great with a good 4 man team, and I'm having a blast playing it 2 player with this girl I know - in fact, methinks we're going to try and finish it up tonight
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'v had a few problems with updates going smoothly, which when they launch a 2.5 gig update to CSS (I have a 5gig monthly limit before receiving massive data charges) and the update don't take properly it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  and that's without mentioning my issues with it from its first launch.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I'v had a few problems with updates going smoothly, which when they launch a 2.5 gig update to CSS (I have a 5gig monthly limit before receiving massive data charges) and the update don't take properly it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  and that's without mentioning my issues with it from its first launch.

Weird, I have been with it from it's launch, bought HL2 the day it released, and I have had no issues, save for the maintenance updates and user error on more than one occasion.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Ooh, Alien Swarm needs two things.  One, a FS Hallfight-style mod, and two, a 40k mod since we don't have enough Space Marines killteams in video games.  A Captain, Apothecary, Techmarine, and Devastator would fill out the slots nicely.  Don't mention the Imperial Guard, since sending them in is an all-you-can-eat-buffet for the aliens, even if they're Stormtroopers. Or, there could be a SST mod based off Terran Ascendancy, which is an RTT game inspired by both book and movie.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
It hasn't been said yet, so I feel the need to add that this game runs like a freaking dream, and looks good to boot.

Normal Steam BS connection problems aside, of course.

-----------

Side-note:  The flashlight item should be available much earlier than it is.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Ooh, Alien Swarm needs two things.  One, a FS Hallfight-style mod, and two, a 40k mod since we don't have enough Space Marines killteams in video games.  A Captain, Apothecary, Techmarine, and Devastator would fill out the slots nicely.  Don't mention the Imperial Guard, since sending them in is an all-you-can-eat-buffet for the aliens, even if they're Stormtroopers. Or, there could be a SST mod based off Terran Ascendancy, which is an RTT game inspired by both book and movie.

Completely agree with you on all counts, but an Imperial Guard mod with stormtroopers would have a nice-r against the odds feel. Plus, they get a lot more interesting equipment than Termies.

Oh, it goes without saying though that the 40K mod would have to be Space Hulk (With Terminators)

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ooh, Alien Swarm needs two things.  One, a FS Hallfight-style mod, and two, a 40k mod since we don't have enough Space Marines killteams in video games. 

A Space Hulk mod would be awesome.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't mention the Imperial Guard, since sending them in is an all-you-can-eat-buffet for the aliens, even if they're Stormtroopers.

Hate to break it to you, but Space Hulk at one point actually included IG rules. (And Alien Swarm is nothing if not the love child of Space Hulk and Aliens.) If you'd mastered the termie game, you could curbstomp most people with IG packing heavy bolters. Just get good long firelanes and it's pure murder with no possiblity of jamming to screw you up.

My main problem with the game is that something is seriously wrong with the public matchup system. The only games I've ever successfully connected to were ones I grabbed off my friends/communities list.

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Jaeger + Vindicator + Laser tripmines + grenade launcher = everything everywhere is dead

Also, the only thing difficult about residential on Insane is the fact that no one plans out their route and sticks together. Either people get too far apart and die on their own, or they stick together and decide to just sit around in one spot trying to figure out where to go.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Jaeger + Vindicator + Laser tripmines + grenade launcher = everything everywhere is dead

Also, the only thing difficult about residential on Insane is the fact that no one plans out their route and sticks together. Either people get too far apart and die on their own, or they stick together and decide to just sit around in one spot trying to figure out where to go.

I'm personally fond of the Tesla rifle, mainly because if I don't swap out for the medigun correctly it doesn't matter. (I've mucked about with the PDWs too but ammo runs dry too quickly.)

I've yet to play a Residential on any level where somebody didn't manage to pick up a parasite in the ducts. Usually it goes in a semi-counter-clockwise manner.

A Feddie Story