Author Topic: Feature wishlist - Off-topic posts  (Read 5719 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Feature wishlist - Off-topic posts
i would love to see a more controlable auto target, one where if your chasing bombers when you kill the bomber it will show the next nearest bomber not the swarm of fighters trying to shoot you out of the game , ( ill deal with these with my new secondary weapons targetting system, lol)

maybe an auto target with a 3 way choice , fighters , bombers , caps , maybe another scroll format, hold auto target down and choose b, c  or  f  .............

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:09:47 am by Shade »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Feature wishlist - Requests
That's called a stand alone server. Expect them back in 3.6.10.
Sorry 'bout that. I was stumbling over words--didn't know what to call it. Anyways--how about a launcher that doesn't care about what DX version your PC has?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not a multiplayer wish and you're not supposed to be using DX anyway. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
That's exactly it--I don't want to use DX and the launcher refused to work because I didn't have DX. :p And it sort of is a multiplayer wish--the P2 400 is enough for small games. If it won't, I can't use it as a server.

Offline captain-custard

That's exactly it--I don't want to use DX and the launcher refused to work because I didn't have DX. :p And it sort of is a multiplayer wish--the P2 400 is enough for small games. If it won't, I can't use it as a server.

mmmmm did you say your using retail..........
One thing I noticed (or overlooked) was that you can't host a game without playing in it. A feature like that would help people with older PC's wanting to host a game and play on a second computer. I tried a few quick LAN games on my old P2 400, just running retail (neither launcher nor game would open--it couldn't find a new DirectX version).

So...

Free-standing server option

hasntfs2 open 3.6.9 got a standalone server option............... in multi section of launcher
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It does. Don't expect it to be at all stable though.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool

mmmmm did you say your using retail..........
One thing I noticed (or overlooked) was that you can't host a game without playing in it. A feature like that would help people with older PC's wanting to host a game and play on a second computer. I tried a few quick LAN games on my old P2 400, just running retail (neither launcher nor game would open--it couldn't find a new DirectX version).

So...

Free-standing server option

hasntfs2 open 3.6.9 got a standalone server option............... in multi section of launcher
Unstable... and neither Freespace Open nor the Launcher will work on it. It's a plain and new Win98SE installation.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Remember, DirectX is NOT just Direct3D.  I'm pretty sure FSOpen still uses DirectX for some stuff under Windows, particularly control input.

I could be wrong -- that may already be phased out, but as far as I know it's something still in the works by taylor.  Either way, you bring up a good point -- once the game no longer uses DirectX at all, the launcher should be fixed to reflect that.

Still, why not install DirectX, at least an older version that FS2 retail was designed for so you can at least test that?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
I installed the DX that was on the FS2 CD. I have a game with DX8.1 somewhere--so I can fix that problem soon. I think it's on the Delta Force BHD CD...

I didn't DL it because I couldn't tell if it actually would work.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
A quick little update--I got DX9.0 (not c) on the Win98SE box and now it says it's missing MVCPS670.dll or something like that--I tried my WinVista 64 version but it said it expected a newer version and that I should upgrade the OS (I laughed when I saw that, considering it was from WinVista on a Win98 machine). Any workaround? That, and launching FS2O 3.6.9 ended up with a message "ESPACE 2" popping up and then it crashing. I manually added all registry items and flagged the shortcut manually. It also told me to get Launcher 5.0 or later, though those don't work because of the missing DLL.

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
So its actually a working feature? And yes, having it respond would be better. I just thought it you could easily comment out the comment out the action when someone clicks join on a running game.
Dang, it wasnt even midnight and I was already speaking jibberish

Offline captain-custard

id like a new feature for multiplayer,

its a primary weapon that disables cp5670 ability to get so many kills...............

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
All of them do that. You just have to get better at using them. :p

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
All of them do that. You just have to get better at using them. :p
I wouldn't say all of them... try killing CP5670 with a Circe! :lol:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Use it to nudge him into a convenient beam cannon. :p

Offline captain-custard

does any one really know how much band width each player takes up, and if so what would be the minimum requirements to host say 12, 24, 36 players?

Offline Shade

It's not a huge amount, I know that much. Hosting 12 players is easily doable on a 256k connection. Distance between client and host is a far greater factor in lag than connection speed.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The limits have been bumped in 3.6.10 IIRC. The game has been able to handle 400 ships for a while. It's just that FRED couldn't.

Offline Shade

I may well have been using a 3.6.10 build when I did it, I can't really remember. Been switching back and forth between the two versions so much recently that it's all a blur...
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
The limits have been bumped in 3.6.10 IIRC. The game has been able to handle 400 ships for a while. It's just that FRED couldn't.

Now that is good to know.  I think I am right at the limit in a few of my unfinished missions I started back in the retail days.  SSG arrays can really run up the ship count.  Of course it doesn't help out my 12 player TBP mission.  I would love to have 2 or 3 more ships for that one.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras