Author Topic: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions  (Read 174292 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions
Is anyone else having issues with the wiki mainpage loading slowly, if it does at all? It's being doing it for the past several days here...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've been using the wiki past three days quite a lot and never had a problem.

Offline eliex

Same here. It's most likely down at your end.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Hush you.

It seems to have decided to no longer support my version of IE spontanously. Was it recently upgraded?

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Statistics Box is the only thing I can think of.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I fixed the numerous misspellings of my name and of one of my ships. As well as linking to my actual website rather than just the downloads page of it (thankyouverymuch).
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Galemp's old corporations page has been purged for the greater accuracy, as Sutek's fleets page was.

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unfair, unfair! :(

Can we at least make separate "canon" and "non-canon" sections?  Or even add a "non-canon corporations" page?

The FRED Zone fleet organization was made up of mostly whole cloth too, but it's still a valuable fanon reference.  So should this be.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The FRED Zone fleet organization was made up of mostly whole cloth too, but it's still a valuable fanon reference.  So should this be.

To who exactly? Nobody uses it. Ever. We just make it up as we go along around the canonical fleets and always have. Like the FS1-era commentary on BoEs, the only possible relevance the article has is historical, to show what idiots we all were once upon a time.

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
...Who uses the fleet reference?  Um, lots of people. :wtf:  All of Blaise Russel's campaigns do.  FSPort does.  Scroll does.  I think Derelict does.

I agree that anyone who wants to ignore it should feel free to, without prejudice.  In fact, while I tend to use fleet numbering consistent with the article, I believe that several fleet details mentioned in that article are wrong, and I have amended those details in my own story creation.  Nevertheless, that does not diminish the value of the fleet lists as a fanon reference.

So it is with Galemp's list of corporations.  Galemp has used the list of corporations in some of his projects.  And at the time Galemp originally posted the corporation list, several people hailed the list as a valuable resource, including CP5670, who used a bunch of corporations in Procyon Insurgency.  This was many years before the page was even added to the wiki, so it's not as if it were some draft that Mobius spouted off one day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:46:14 am by Goober5000 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I would like to have them around.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
This was many years before the page was even added to the wiki, so it's not as if it were some draft that Mobius spouted off one day.

Though it has exactly the same amount of canoncity and only slightly more relevance? Let's be honest here. GalEmp is a respected community member and all sure, but there was plenty of pure bullcrap on that list that wasn't, and probably couldn't be, marked as such even after someone went through the first time to try and mark things as non-canonical. Reconstruct the old list somewhere else, sure, if you like, but the one that's left after I got through with it is basically the one that needs to be the frontman.

A Feddie Story

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What about an article named "GalEmp's list of corporations"?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How about adopting a system such as on www.ditl.org? Give canon one color, extrapolation another, and pure fiction (ironic term, I know) a third.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
How about adopting a system such as on www.ditl.org? Give canon one color, extrapolation another, and pure fiction (ironic term, I know) a third.

I don't think it's possible to color links, and quite a few of the things that were pure fiction were links. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That was the plan but people stopped doing it.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I support the purge.
Make non-canon corporations on a separate page.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I don't think it's possible to color links, and quite a few of the things that were pure fiction were links. :P

It's actually quite possible... just takes a class applied to each link, and a CSS rule to color links with that class a different color. The main question is if the system allows applying/specifying a class for links...? If so, I can do the CSS easy.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think applying the class was the part he doesn't think you can do, I'm not aware of a way to do that either.  You could maybe find a way to wrap the links in some sort of Wiki container that has a unique class and write the selector accordingly though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays