Author Topic: FreeSpace Wiki Vandals  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FreeSpace Wiki Vandals
I'm sure most of you have noticed that recently hundreds of new spambots came in and added gibberish into the FreeSpace Wiki. So far Wanderer has banned each one manually but is there any long-term plan to stop them from vandalizing the wiki further, like a filter or something?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: FreeSpace Wiki Vandals
Uhm...

What about...only HLP members can work on the Wiki? They have to keep their HLP nicknames and confirm via PM their registration(Ex. I create a Wiki account, Wanderer sends me a PM in order to make sure that it's the same Mobius and validate the account).

If they behave like vandals they're istantly banned from HLP.

Is it possible?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Shade

Seems like it would be a rather heavy workload to integrate SMF and wiki registrations, not to mention the risk of security holes from all that messing around. If anything were to be done, I'd suggest adding a CAPTCHA test to the registration page and leaving it at that.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If anything were to be done, I'd suggest adding a CAPTCHA test to the registration page and leaving it at that.

Yeah I guess that would work very well.

But first we must applaud Wanderer for doing all the work so for by himself.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'll look into it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, I've re-enabled Fury's CAPTCHA extension but restricted it to new account creation and login failures.

Offline rbxplayer

• A bit tight with RL at the moment
Sorry, guys. I guess some of it was my fault. I tried to update the list of campaigns. Wanderer then politely suggested that I should still post FS1 fsport campaigns in the FS2 page.

1)     I suggest a confirmation requirement for your first post could be a solution;
a. It would have spared Wanderer quite some time fixing my posts. If he would have suggested where to post, I would have done it right first time
b. I know that this restriction goes against the concept of a wiki but if someone is genuine and his intention is to help he would understand that the wiki grew too much for it to be free for all.

2)     I willing to help in my free time. I am trying to update the list of campaigns but they are so awfully difficult to find. I created a website where one can vote for his favourite campaigns - www.squidoo.com/freespace2, but if you have any other suggestions, feel free to propose ;)  [ I am no programmer though :( ]

Ijja l-mewt li taghmilna bnedmin jew l-imhabba?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh, don't worry; we're not referring to you at all.  The spambots he was talking about were the users named "asdj33455" who kept adding advertisements for free XBoxes.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
We weren't talking about human mistakes, man. :)

Actually the majority of the bots I saw were adding complete gibberish, like "chioloc."

BUY CELEBREX

That wasn't you, rbx, was it? I didn't think so. Thanks for being polite, but don't worry, adbots have been attacking the wiki for years. Only the valiant efforts of the admins (basically Wanderer) have prevented you from noticing.

Offline rbxplayer

• A bit tight with RL at the moment
I hate spammers. You just inspired me for a website - www.squidoo.com/ihatespam

Enjoy
Ijja l-mewt li taghmilna bnedmin jew l-imhabba?

A spam-hating Squidoo website that, in itself, is almost... spam. Almost as much as this post.