General FreeSpace > Multiplayer

Feature wishlist for multiplayer

<< < (8/9) > >>

achtung:
I want to add a little wish to avoid something that has caused me much pain in other games in the past:

-Implement proper automatic mod downloading that allows the mod to be picked up from the server the game is being hosted on OR an external server as specified in the server's configuration. Serious bonus points if the downloader has the brains to go out and search for a mod automatically from a default list of sites (ex. fsmods, f2s, HLP).

Shade:
That has been considered before, but rejected because it is unreasonable to hold up a game for the several hours it might take a player to download a new mod. All mods that currently have a multiplayer component are huge, so it is simply not feasible.

There's already a request on the list to inform players about which mods are being run by who, though, so if that gets implemented down the line it might be a good idea to include a link to a download location as well. But auto-downloading mods in multiplayer is not going to happen, because of the time involved.

achtung:
I still think it would be more than worth it to make it an option. Possibly make it inform the player of the size of the file, and the time needed for download. This is standard behavior for many very popular games, and I don't hear too much complaining.

Shade:
There's a difference. When you join a game in Freespace, the other players can't play until everyone is ready.... including the guy who is just now downloading, say, Blue Planet+Blue Planet WiH+Blue Planet multi pack+MediaVPs 3.6.12 for a nice cozy 4.3 gigabytes worth of waiting. And even if it did download it and install it correctly, the game would still need to restart in order to use it, forcing the person to quit the server anyway. So really, this sort of thing should not happen as part of a game.

I'd love to see the ability to download and switch mods from within the game instead of having to use the launcher and needing a restart, but if it ever happens then it needs to take place before people join a game so it won't hold up other players.

GameSlayerGS:
What if we at least added a feature somewhere in the game to download and install mods and such from the game? Each server could then present the player with a list of required mods and a button to go download them. He player could then leave the server to go on with the other players while the player went and downloaded the mods. Then the player could attempt to join again, once the mods were installed and the game was restarted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version