Community Projects > The FreeSpace Wiki Project

Insane spambots

(1/3) > >>

Black Wolf:
I think we need to do something about these spambots. I can't log in to the wiki over the satellite connection up here at work for some reason (well, not strictly true - I can log in, but it logs me straight back out again), so I can't even sort them when I see them, leaving it to TopAce and Goober almost exclusively.

I think we need to halt registrations until we can get a better bot stopping system in place, preferably something that'll also stop the human "bots". I think we can probably afford to be quite a bit tighter with wiki registration than forum (after all, if someone can;t register tot he wiki who needs to, they can always ask on the forum), so something like a quick, very very basic freespace quiz (something like identifying the species of a number of ships) would probably do. But how we sort it isn't so much of a problem as sorting it, because it's gotten way OTT.

Veers:
Is there anyway to tie the wiki account with a forum account or such?

Needing an active non-spam account here as valid proof or what not.

Black Wolf:
I don't know - we could conceivably set up a system wherein only those who post on an "Activate your account here" thread on the forums or something would get their wiki accounts approved, but that's extra work for Goober or whoever has the power to do that (I'm not sure that wiki admins do, since AFAIK we've never turned it on on our wiki.

TopAce:
OMG

We've had LOTS of bots in the last couple hours. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Special:RecentChanges

mjn.mixael:
Time to stop discussing it. Shut down registration until we can sort it out a better system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version