Community Projects > The FreeSpace Wiki Project

CB Anim Reference Page(s?)

(1/2) > >>

Black Wolf:
Hey peeps,

This is a request for assistance with this page:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/List_of_Command_Brief_Animations

I want to generate a reference page for all of the FS1, ST and FS2 command brief animations, somewhere where FREDders can see, at a glance, what all the available anims are without having to remember them or search through the VPs, as well as any other animations that might be useful, such as the ones Mjn made for VD. The system I'm using for the FS1 ones is pretty straightforward:

Step 1 - Choose a frame to upload. Try to select a frame that represents the entire animation (although this will be harder for some than for others)
Step 2 - Save your selected frame from the original ani, and then the same frame from mjn's remake.

Step 3 - Upload the frames using the proper naming convention and file format.
For FS1 - The original frame should be uploaded as a gif, and the remake as a png. This is because the wiki will not downsize gifs, but they are much more efficient in terms of filesize.
For FS2 - Both frames should be uploaded as png files.

The filename convention is as follows:

Original ani name_Frame number_V/M.gif/png where

Original ani name = the name Volition gave to the ani
Frame number = the frame number as shown in Aniview32
V/M = Volition/Mjn version

So, for example, the Mjn version of cb_loop-a_b.ani was captured at frame 97, so the filename became CB_Loop-a_b_97_M.png. Another example, the volition version of the FS1 ani cb_apollo.ani was captured at frame 30, so the filename became CB_Apollo_30_V.gif. Note that the wiki is not case sensitive, so the capitalization doesn't matter (though I'd prefer if we stuck with [V]'s capitalization when fillng in the "filename" section.

Step 4 - Write a short but comprehensive description of what goes on in the ani. Remember to emphasize any parts that differ significantly from the image, such as two stage anis.
Step 5 - Filling in the rest of the data (ani filename and frame numbers). Please remember to follow the formatting of the previous entries. It's important that you get this right, so that the template knows what text strings to insert into which parts to make the whole thing work - the pipes and curly brackets and things are important in that regard. Also, ensure that you use the correct template - FS1 anims use {{CBAnim}}, FS2 anis use {{CBAnim2}}.

I'll be slowly working on these myself, but there are a couple of hundred canon animations, and it would take me a long time. If everyone else did five or ten each (maybe half an hour's work once you get into the swing of it) we could knock it over much quicker.

In terms of non-canon anis, I'm keen to get them on the wiki too, if they're released and available for download. They may need a modified template, however, as they wont have a low res original in most cases. I think we should limit the wiki page to animations, rather than still images, since animations are much harder to make and therefore more sought after, so access to information for FREDders is probably more critical. Any additional campaigns that have such anis can be added easily to the front page linked above - I added VD as an example because I know it has a good set of anims, but there are probably others too - does BP have them?

The filename convention for non-canon anis should probably be the same, but with campaign initials instead of a V or an M. For example, CB_M3-S2_180_VD.png for that particular ani from Vassago's Dirge.

Finally, I'm open to ideas about how the pages should be sorted. At the moment, I'm using the order in the Volition vps, but given the purpose of the resource, that is probably not the best way to sort it. However, in terms of uploading the files and getting everything sorted out, it's probably best to do it in order to ensure we don't get any gaps.

So, have at it folks! :D

T-Man:
Added one to FS2 just to check I had things right. Shall add when I can, and shall work backwards from the end from here on so we're not working on the same ones. :yes:

Should be include in filenames the '2_' if we're using the hi-res Volition files? (I did in my example one for Mjns since it had it, can change if unwanted though).

mjn.mixael:
ST:R Has a few custom animations as well... I feel like I made some anims for others, but I can't remember. But I did remember I had these two laying around that individuals requested that someone can archive. Not sure where they'd go though as they are not from FS2.

EDIT: I should also note that any custom animations in FSPort (aka, for ST:R) will also have low-res versions. Any custom animations for other (sane) campaigns and mods don't.

And I can probably knock out a bunch of these rather quickly at some point after I finish my current project(s).

InsaneBaron:
While I lack the technical prowness to dissect the CBanis this way, I would like to encourage anyone working on this. Right off the bat It'll be a big help to my own FRED project.

Black Wolf:

--- Quote from: T-Man on January 29, 2014, 05:50:32 am ---Added one to FS2 just to check I had things right. Shall add when I can, and shall work backwards from the end from here on so we're not working on the same ones. :yes:

Should be include in filenames the '2_' if we're using the hi-res Volition files? (I did in my example one for Mjns since it had it, can change if unwanted though).

--- End quote ---

I hadn't thought about the "2_" part of Mjn's anis - the filename for the wiki can probably live without them, if only to maintain consistency, but from a FREDder's perspective, the precise filename will be important... maybe the emplate needs an additional section for the low res filename and the high res filename?

InsaneBaron - it's really, really easy, I promise! :) It takes only the most basic FS tools (VPView32 (or any other VP viewer) and Aniview32) and an image editor capable of saving in both png and gif (just about anything, from Irfanview, paint.net or MS Paint all the way up to GIMP and Photoshop).

--- Quote from: mjn.mixael on January 29, 2014, 07:45:35 am ---ST:R Has a few custom animations as well... I feel like I made some anims for others, but I can't remember. But I did remember I had these two laying around that individuals requested that someone can archive. Not sure where they'd go though as they are not from FS2.

EDIT: I should also note that any custom animations in FSPort (aka, for ST:R) will also have low-res versions. Any custom animations for other (sane) campaigns and mods don't.

--- End quote ---

I've noticed ASW have some anis that look like yours. As for those two, they can probably be added to a subsection of the FS2 anis? They may be officially non-canon, but they're stylistically seamless and entirely appropriate. Alternately, we could make a section for "loose" anis, but I fear it'd probably only have those two in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version