Author Topic: General forum game discussion  (Read 63845 times)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: General forum game discussion
Yes well, we were not counting on the leading Admiral to trip over himself and his fleet in one swift move. Conspiracy much?

Clarify please. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

That why you have settled for freeloading our shipyard?

Partially. Also because the Harcon shipyards have an excellent view over the Harcon / Fomalhaut starlance, a noticeable lack of garrison fleets and Netflix.

We're waiting for our shiny new tech to take effect, at which point all your starbase are belong to us orbital debris.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Veers

Yes well, we were not counting on the leading Admiral to trip over himself and his fleet in one swift move. Conspiracy much?

Clarify please. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

Sorry!

What I mean is we were not counting on the leading admiral. By which I mean myself in command of 1st Fleet. Tripping over himself and his fleet and having it thrown right into the hands of a full DD barrage.

And I'm sure we could make a conspiracy theory out of it. :D

Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Partially. Also because the Harcon shipyards have an excellent view over the Harcon / Fomalhaut starlance, a noticeable lack of garrison fleets and Netflix.

We're waiting for our shiny new tech to take effect, at which point all your starbase are belong to us orbital debris.

I have to agree Harcon is a sight to behold and the Shipyards have a spectacular view.

Talking about secondary locations, how about a turret or mine mechanic to fortify minor locations.  Strength would be weak, enough to cause a nuisance to an attacking fleet, sapping a little strength, without a supporting fleet , more of a deterrent than an actual threat.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

So while 3rd DD/1st CRF went for straight headbutting and pretty much trashed each other in one turn (and poor 3rd CRF left us after firing one salvo) 3 SF fleets are unable to corner one UGC fleet...

That shipyard is a really nice place to sit at with my fleet. All warm and cozy. We are in the progress of removing all entertainement systems and adding them to the fleet. But I wonder how long I'll be able to stay there - maybe some combat would be nice for a change.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
... 3 SF fleets are unable to corner one UGC fleet...

Bravely, bravely, ran away!  :lol:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

What else should the UGC fleet have done when it's all about buying time? :)
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline Veers

Obvious video is obvious, and I still couldn't decide on which one...

https://youtu.be/BZwuTo7zKM8?t=1m1s

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
all that damnable fleet has to do is hold out a little longer and I suspect UGC reinforcements will make SF lives very miserable
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It might serve everyone to remember that each fleet element only resolves one fire order ... Veers gave multiple this turn, so did Ralwood last turn

and I will see if I can't optmize my fleet before it is rebuild... those carriers in the Vigilance Sentinel flanks are rubish

p.s. sadly only killing centres gives traits...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:59:11 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam

You might say thats easy, but if he keeps running away - we can't exactly track his movement. So if he predict where we'd move, he can completly move out of range. But there... it is soon enough...
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Lorric

It might serve everyone to remember that each fleet element only resolves one fire order ... Veers gave multiple this turn, so did Ralwood last turn

and I will see if I can't optmize my fleet before it is rebuild... those carriers in the Vigilance flanks are are rubish

p.s. sadly only killing centres gives traits...
You don't lose the ability to fire though if your first order can't shoot anything. You only lose the ability to fire a specific weapon after that weapon has shot at a target. You could give 5 fire orders and if only your last one had a target in range, then that target would be hit. Or if the 4th one hit, then the target moved in closer, then the 5th one would hit with the weapons that were now in range to do so.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:11:36 pm by Lorric »

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Not sure about that bit.

I think that if a fleet fires and hits, then that's it for them. I think that if an enemy baits your fire @ range 2, then the fleet has fired and will not fire with its 1 and 0 range weapons if you get closer.

Might be wrong (wouldn't surprise me).
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

No, actually I think you're right. :)

From the rules:
A fleet can have any number of move and fire actions, but a fleet will fire only ONCE during a single tactical combat turn. So the trick is to try to maximize the amount of weapons that are in range.

Offline 0rph3u5

While we are on subject: Since it didn't resolve, how would the 3rd CRF's 5th order have resolved?

For reference:
1. 3rd CRF Centre (and attached Left) FIRE AT 1st DD Left
2. ADVANCE 3rd CRF Right STARBOARD
3. ADVANCE 3rd CRF Centre BACKWARDS
4. ADVANCE 3rd CRF Right STARBAORD
5. 3rd CRF Centre (as well as attached Left and Right) FIRE AT WILL; please prioritize targets that have issued a FIRE-order against the 3rd CRF
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Assuming the right flank would had survived, the 5th order would have allowed the right flank to fire at the closest, highest strength target in range. Left and Center had already fired so they wouldn't do anything.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Just for the official record:
It is allowed to convert garrison fleets to player fleets. So you could potentially pick up a new flank or center from an existing garrison one, to replenish part of your fleet. Or put a currently unassigned admiral in charge of a garrison, making it a player fleet.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:13:27 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Just for the official record:
It is allowed to convert garrison fleets to player fleets. So you could potentially pick up a new flank or center from an existing garrison one, to replenish part of your fleet. Or put a currently unassigned admiral in charge of a garrison, making it a player fleet.
I don't like that idea so much when thinking about the final game on a larger map with more planets. At some point most planets will have a garrison fleet and when your fleet partially destroyed anyway you could just do a suicide attack for max damage and take the next fleet instead of jumping all the way back to the shipyard for expensive repairs (I know repairing is cheaper but for example a destroyed Center has to be replaced completely). Saves maybe a turn or two and makes it very easy to convert a ressource advantage into a combat advantage by spamming fleets. Also a suicide attack can be used to get on the other side of the map when it really pressing cause there is a ready garrison fleet...
I would change the game so that a surviving Admiral travels in an escape shuttle with 2 or 3 jumps (+ 1 additional jump directly after the defeat done before the main strategic orders so there is a chance to get away) per strategic turn and if he meets a hostile fleet he can enjoy a nice prison cell. Then normal ransom rules would apply and the Admiral ends up in a diplomatic shutte to fly back home. This shuttle can't be brought up by any other fleet.

Picking up a flank or center is fine since the fleet actually has to move to the garrison.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:25:24 am by Admiral MS »
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline Veers

Not sure about the jump bit, would need to be fleshed out more.

But same with the Garrison Fleet spam. Perhaps it would, as with the jump. Take x turns for the Admiral to reach and activate the fleet. So it isn't an immediate benefit on the next immediate turn. Or limit the amount of times it could be done?, or it could only be done every 10 (or x) strategic turns?

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline 0rph3u5

Howy about adding a penalty to scoring, morale and/or morale xp gain if the option is used?

Having a repurposed garrison fleet start with a lower morra,e would give it a slight combat disadvantage, blocking it from gaining xp for some turns would hace fleets that fight it accumulate a slight bonus and/or excluding it from the set of fleets that can advance the faction's cause or the time being...f
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:55:32 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Lorric

I think people are forgetting EXP in general. Over a long time keeping a fleet alive will reap benefits. You could also have it cost a lot more to build a new fleet than to repair one.

We did have a limit in the last game of several turns before a defeated admiral got a new fleet though.

However, there's also talk of possibly being able to build more player fleets than the number of player fleets in the faction so this might not matter too much anyway in the main game with additional fleets being moved up immediately instead of having to wait for one to be destroyed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:38:44 am by Lorric »