General FreeSpace > Multiplayer

Unable to start FreeSpace 2 for Multiplayer

(1/2) > >>

DrakonAlpha:
I made a clean install, extracted the build files as well as Fubar's mission and voice pack to a new folder and added the media vp's. Then I provided the credentials to the pxo tab of the launcher. But trying to start the game ends with an error message. What can I do to fix that?

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

ngld:
The current PXO multiplayer build can't load the MediaVPs since it's based on retail and not on FSO (which the MediaVPs need).

You can only play retail-compatible mods on that build for now. Those are most likely only older FS2 mods and maybe FSPort.

DrakonAlpha:
What do you mean by "retail"? What's the conclusion of your statement "can't load the MediaVPs"?

ngld:
Retail here refers to the original FreeSpace 2 from 1999. FSO is based on the original source code released by Volition back in 2001 IIRC. It's been maintained and updated for over a decade and thus contains a lot of improvements, new features, bug fixes, etc. The multiplayer PXO build is also based on the original source code but contains a different set of modifications most of which were done by taylor alone and thus lacks a lot of the features that are present in FSO.

The MediaVPs require features only present in FSO.

--- Quote from: DrakonAlpha on February 22, 2019, 08:31:34 am ---What's the conclusion of your statement "can't load the MediaVPs"?

--- End quote ---
You have two options:

* Play the PXO multiplayer build and get an improved multiplayer experience but without the MediaVPs and thus no shiny graphics.
* Play the MediaVPs on the FSO engine with broken multiplayer (multiplayer over LAN should be fine though).
You can't have both.

General Battuta:
What happened to FS2NetD?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version