Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

Petition for the removal of Goober5000

(1/12) > >>

Phantom Hoover:
As I'm sure many site regulars are aware, nearly two weeks ago, Goober5000 took offence to a discussion that identified Trump and his base as supporting white nationalism, Goober included. He brought up the threat of legal action for defamation, and when this was roundly mocked and he was told that if he was going to support politicians the consequences were down to him, he unilaterally deleted the entire thread. This despite MP_Ryan doing what he wanted and asking community members to censor the offending material! At this point, the shutter came down, the mods said "we're dealing with it" and we've heard nothing since.

This is just not acceptable. Goober's far right views, tendency to argue about them and his willingness to use his official status in the community and membership of the leadership clique have, over the years, actively driven off several good members who were contributing to the community and has alienated far more people who just see the aforementioned clique acting first and foremost to prevent 'drama' and keep things amongst themselves, even if it means giving a toxic member his way. He has now flagrantly abused his administrative powers and every indication is that the admins of this site are intending to keep this hushed up and change absolutely nothing.

This must change. Goober is not essential to HLP. He does not need to be an administrator, the site does not need him in a leadership role, and in fact he is actively harming site leadership by remaining in his position. As non-moderator members of the community have been totally silenced and effectively told our voices mean nothing by the way the admins have chosen to handle this, I am publicly calling for him to resign or be stripped of his roles and for all who support this to join me in this thread.

Aesaar:
I think it sends quite a ****ty message that all discussion of this issue was kept internal, as though the only opinions that matter are staff ones.

No, Goober abusing his power isn't an issue that only concerns admins and moderators.

EDIT: oh, by the way:

--- Quote from: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php?title=GTC_Aeolus&action=history --- by degrees or all-at-once, this has already been discussed

--- End quote ---

Yeah, and in that discussion, everyone was either ok with it or indifferent, but Goober decided that his two dissenting voices were enough to decide the issue.

Goober abusing his power is hardly a new phenomenon.

Grizzly:
I'm very surprised that this moderation issue has taken this long, since I'm quite sure that anyone else who'd attempt to coerce people into retracting their views by taking legal action against a 90s game modding forum would just get an instant ban.

qazwsx:

--- Quote from: -Joshua- on October 17, 2020, 10:51:21 am ---I'm very surprised that this moderation issue has taken this long, since I'm quite sure that anyone else who'd attempt to coerce people into retracting their views by taking legal action against a 90s game modding forum would just get an instant ban.

--- End quote ---
I spend a lot of time lurking on HLP and very little posting, but even I can see that HLP has a time-honored tradition of arguing until everyone gets too bored/tired to do anything about the issue. This has been "in discussion" for 2 weeks and I don't expect any real change to come of it. I agree that he should be stripped of his role.

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Phantom Hoover on October 17, 2020, 10:31:14 am ---Goober is not essential to HLP. He does not need to be an administrator, the site does not need him in a leadership role, and in fact he is actively harming site leadership by remaining in his position.

--- End quote ---

Says somebody who has contributed last time... how many years ago, if ever? HLP is a gaming forum, not a political discussion board; in particular none in which you need to have a certain opinion to participate in. Goober has spent like 1000 times more of his freetime operating the SCP and HLP as whole, than half of the people replying in this thread. I do not tolerate the abuse of moderating power in general; deleting the entire topic was certainly childish abuse and I hope that stuff like that doesn't happen again. However, the incident occured in question occured in a locked board, so it does not harm HLPs reputation by any sort. Also; you could say that ganging up on a member because of his views is damaging for HLPs reputation, scaring off people who don't consider themselves left-wing and perhaps prefer a community with non-toxic members.

The same way I could argue demoting The_E as Discord mod for his stupidity of kicking an active contributor over literally "idk, I somehow felt totally offended by this inoffensive statement somehow, can't really tell", but it got sorted out too.

And yeah the thread should be put somewhere where nobody can see it, no need to make the drama public.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version