Site Management > Site Support / Feedback

allowing political discourse in the community was a mistake

<< < (2/2)

MP-Ryan:
This one gets a proactive lock as well; again, to be revisited.

Mongoose:
(Was in the middle of writing this when Ryan locked it, so I promise I'm not trying to get a last word in!)

My stance on this remains the same as it has been over the past several months: if people do not wish to engage in political discussion, then they are free to keep PolDisc disabled and to not engage in said topics. It's not even a particularly heated place, but if that sort of conversation is not your bag, then I fully understand! (If you want to see a real "lunatic asylum" of politics, check out GenDisc circa 2005 or so. Or rather, don't.) But there are many of us who have been in this community for a long time, who know each other about as well as one can in the context of a forum dedicated to a 20-year-old space game, and who enjoy talking with each other about the Big Important Things that pop up in the real world. Not everyone here is as active on the FS side of things as they may have been in the past, or may be in the future, but they still want to be engaged with the community they love. Discussions like this help that happen, and can help sustain a community during the inevitable lulls in activity that it experiences.

I think the most important thing to reiterate here is that none of the significant issues of the past several months had their root cause in political arguments, or if they were involved were tangential to an underlying issue which would have caused problems regardless. This is not a PolDisc problem.

karajorma:
Exactly. I fail to understand why we're getting repeated calls to fix the symptoms rather than the root cause of the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version