Author Topic: Triple threat  (Read 2391 times)

Been looking on how to make it so I have NTF ships vs. HOL vs. GTVA but I tried doing team hostile vs. neutral for NTF and HOL but only the fighters engage each other but not the destroyers even if ordered to....anyway to make NTF and HOL completely go at it without making one of them a friendly?

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Add a new iff entry that looks like hostile and attacks both hostile and friendly
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

how do I do that lol?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Try "All teams at war" in mission specs.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
how do I do that lol?

It's in iff_defs.tbl.  But what Black Wolf said is an easier strategy if you don't need any special behavior.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
how do I do that lol?

It's in iff_defs.tbl.  But what Black Wolf said is an easier strategy if you don't need any special behavior.
oh yeah. Forgot about that.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

So if I do all teams at war hostile and neutral teams will engage without being ordered to?

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Yes, they will. All teams at war makes all teams (exception: Unknown IFF) fight each other even when they're explicitly told not to in the tables normally.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Sorry for being late for the party...

Yeah, "all teams at war" is the way to go for what you are doing... additional IFFs and IFF-flags I would not touch unless you are extending the number of teams beyond the original 3 (friendly, hostile, neutral)

However FFA-type missions are a difficult piece of balancing; you will have to account for player interaction with all teams and for the interaction of the AI with another ... the mission can go really off rails if the player focusses too much on one team and not on the others...

Also the retail AI doesn't take well to fighting at two fronts unless you stricly guide them ... AI ships target the next best threat and not all enemies equally; which forces you to really guide them from target to target via events (its manageable, don't worry) unless you are going for "clumped together in a single furball"
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."