Author Topic: How to bind the "Bank Axis" to the X Axis of my mouse?  (Read 5526 times)

How to bind the "Bank Axis" to the X Axis of my mouse?
Hey guys newbie here :)

I've checked the wiki and a couple of places but I can't seem to find the answer. You guys seem like THE freespace people, so I thought I'd ask you. So any help guys?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: How to bind the "Bank Axis" to the X Axis of my mouse?
Might be an interesting dilema there, bromensch. Though that sounds like a really odd choice for a control scheme, I'm not going to pick at that.

The inherent problem is that the mouse's x- and y-axes, as far as I know, are the same as a stick's axis. I'm assuming you want to use your stick to yaw and pitch your fighter, while you want to use the mouse to roll it. Again, the issue is you have shared axes between your mouse and your stick. That said, there might be an irregular solution around this, but I'm not sure a standard solution is in order.

Now, if that's not the case, and you've an even more peculiar control scheme in mind, you should just be able to select the bank axis control binding and move the mouse in the x-axis to bind roll to that axis. I could be wrong, though. It's been a while since I've needed to bind flight controls.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Actually, I want it to be like the flight scheme in the battlefield series. But anyways, how do I bind an Axis at all? I try moving the mouse left and right, hoping the game will pick up on x axis movement lol.

Im not using a stick at all actually just a mouse. I just need to know how to actually bind the x axis to the bank axis, it doesnt let me do it in game.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Axis and keybindings are done in the same place.

Options menu > Key Config. 

Find the one that you want to change, double click and then press key or move the mouse in the axis you want to be bound.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Im trying to move the mouse left to right, but nothing happens. There is a small flashing question mark though...

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I've actually been trying to bind bank to the X axis for years, with no success. I'm pretty sure that's very common on combat flight simulators, i.e. HAWX 2.

Aclimator, the question mark flashing means that the key has not been bound.

All in all I've been led to believe that the bank left and right does not register mouse movement as an input.

Ah thanks a lot Destiny. That sucks, I would've like the control scheme to be similar to the BF series. But thanks anyways everyone.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Hmm.  It seems it doesn't matter how you bind the axis, the mouse is always pitch on the Y, yaw on the X.  I have filed a mantis issue for it. http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2436
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

I know its weird, I try moving my mouse left/right but the game doesnt pick up the x axis.

In fact it cant pick up any axis. Btw, I have a Microsoft Basic Optical mouse. One of the normal cheapies.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Aclimator, seeing as you've got a bit of a setback here in terms of what you wanted to do, here's a suggestion:

Bind your roll controls to the left and right mouse buttons; use the keboard for the rest. In this fashion, you can get all the controls out of your fighter (if your mouse has a scroll wheel, which it undoubtably does, you can also manage your throttle as well). This takes a while to get used to, at least with your main guns/missiles, but I think control-wise this is the best set-up for a mouse user. If you can find a good mouse control script somewhere, you'll be something to be reckoned with indeed. :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Good suggestion, going to try this now.

Since the rapture is tomorrow, might as well spend the last night playing freespace :P

Weird, the game isn't picking up the mouse-wheel either. Lol, game fails.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The mouse wheel should be the z-axis. If that input isn't registering, then there most certainly has to be an issue on your end. I can assure you it works on my end.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you can find a good mouse control script somewhere, you'll be something to be reckoned with indeed. :)

In my sig.  ;)