Author Topic: HTL Centaur (by Vasudan Admiral and others)  (Read 5196 times)

Offline peterv

HTL Centaur (by Vasudan Admiral and others)
Is this acceptable? (cylindrical dock hatch istead off the prototypes exagonic)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:31:42 am by Vasudan Admiral »

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Re: HTL Centaur (by Vasoudan Admiral and others)
Jesus man, it's a freespace forum, learn how to spell Vasudan right at least :p And for some reason I remember the centaur being longer

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You know, i kinda like it..... :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Two things:
1) Can you switch back to the single pilot, higher detail cockpit model that I originally built into the comanche? I don't really like the way Nico's old cockpit model is just stretched to fit into the hole beneath the canopy as has been standard practice for too long, and the higher detail cockpit was actually built into that nose section, so it fits neatly in with it if you can restore that geometry.
Also as another minor reason; while the two pilots idea is cool, in FS1 the support-ship pilot was always shown in communications as being pretty clearly alone in there, and compared to fighter piloting, it's not really the kind of job that would need two people there to do stuff.

2) Can we see a different angle on the engine section block? It's hard to see from here but it looks like it's lower detail than the one I stuck on the Navajo's backside. Considering the overall simplicity of the Centaur it may as well have as much detail as is present on the textures. ;)

Other than that, yeah it looks fine. :)

Oh and hey - I'm a moderator here so I can fix the topic name. I haz teh powerz!
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: HTL Centaur (by Vasudan Admiral and others)
I kinda like the double cockpit. The only thing better than one living pilot in an unarmed barrel of explosives is two! :D

So maybe it's inappropriate for this particular model. Still, might be nice for another later on. As VA said, try to lift some parts from the uglies, and beef up that antenna array on the cockpit too.

The round hatches are fine (though the yellow needs more texture to it) and I like the subtleties around the nose. The side extrusions are a bit too tall, especially since the edge mapping is so stretched, so maybe tone that down a bit and/or bevel them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline peterv

Two things:
1) Can you switch back to the single pilot, higher detail cockpit model that I originally built into the comanche? I don't really like the way Nico's old cockpit model is just stretched to fit into the hole beneath the canopy as has been standard practice for too long, and the higher detail cockpit was actually built into that nose section, so it fits neatly in with it if you can restore that geometry.
Also as another minor reason; while the two pilots idea is cool, in FS1 the support-ship pilot was always shown in communications as being pretty clearly alone in there, and compared to fighter piloting, it's not really the kind of job that would need two people there to do stuff.

2) Can we see a different angle on the engine section block? It's hard to see from here but it looks like it's lower detail than the one I stuck on the Navajo's backside. Considering the overall simplicity of the Centaur it may as well have as much detail as is present on the textures. ;)

Other than that, yeah it looks fine. :)

Oh and hey - I'm a moderator here so I can fix the topic name. I haz teh powerz!

Sorry for the name. :D
I'll post screenshots off all angles soon (i'm not finished yet, i just wanted to read opinions for the hatch) but i didn't touch the engine, just the cockpit a bit.
Are you sure about the communications? This is a screenshot from my fsport (i'm not sure it's right, that is why i ask, my builds are usually a mess) :confused:

The side extrusions are a bit too tall, especially since the edge mapping is so stretched, so maybe tone that down a bit and/or bevel them.

Agreed, i'll do both :)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:50:12 am by peterv »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I was going by the support ship from the original FS1 rather than the one in the port, but either way - I do think it'd be better to use the high detail cockpit here. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline peterv

I was going by the support ship from the original FS1 rather than the one in the port, but either way - I do think it'd be better to use the high detail cockpit here. :)

"It's all dangerous, But if you insist, I'll take the risk" :)
(copying/pasting lyrics helps avoiding the judgement day) :lol:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:29:18 pm by peterv »